Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will games be better then real life?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not watching until you explain how game sex is better, even if it lasts longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Interesting but not nearly as thought provoking as it seems to think it is. Can essentially be summarised as "Games used to be shit and now they're getting much better and soon they'll be really good and people play them all the time I wonder what the future will be like".

The whole "better than real life" thing doesn't seem to actually come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Not watching until you explain how game sex is better, even if it lasts longer.

Lets be honest here, gamers don't get much sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I think it depends on what real life is actually. If I lived at the base of a mountain I'd be out snowboarding all winter and quad/mountain biking the rest of the year.

I know there are loads of outdoor activities around Dublin (especially Wicklow) and I've done all of them (i.e. quad biking, clay pigeon shooting, paintball, camping... etc) they require planning, money and the off chance that you'll get good weather.

Games are just simpler. Have a few friends over and you don't have to worry about the weather or all the extra costs and hassle to organize it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Speak for yourself! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

You're clearly not cybering the right way!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

obviously hasnt got a tier 6 set yet

:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

'In other news, another game developer talks prentetious bile through his arse and no his name isn't Peter Molyneaux.'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

LAWL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Still back there in 1986, huh?

Take a £10 note into Paddy Power & see what odds they give you on Germany's re-unification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Kharn wrote: »
    Speak for yourself! :p

A/s/l , we can change all that?
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    You're clearly not cybering the right way!!!!!!!

Your ma did say I was doing something wrong.
    obviously hasnt got a tier 6 set yet

:P

I can still live the dream though.
    Gurgle wrote: »
    Still back there in 1986, huh?

Take a £10 note into Paddy Power & see what odds they give you on Germany's re-unification.

I would have been two then.

So we are left at a impasse,

You have either, implied that my mental age is a modest two years old. Which would have made me both the fastest mental developer in the free world(stupid Chinese kids) and then a bitter 22 year coma took it all away

or

You live in a world of your own, inhabited by pixies and imaginary sex your not really having.

Please inform us which it is.

Back on topic,

I'm more concerned about the fact that the obvious market for games company's is to move closer and closer towards developing gaming addictions coupled with subscription systems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

In the game you have sex once in seven years, for some that is much less, for me it is much much more!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

wah?real life?i thought WE are in real life now:(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm more concerned about the fact that the obvious market for games company's is to move closer and closer towards developing gaming addictions coupled with subscription systems.

:confused:

Yes, indeed. Somebody already noted you were living in the past. So, I won't do so again.
    seraphimvc wrote: »
    wah?real life?i thought WE are in real life now:(

No. This is the internet.

And boards.ie is really a text-based MMORPG controlled by a number of US intelligence agencies. Nobody would heed me at first, but look at the size of boards now! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just looked at that out of boredom. Dave Perry was basicall showing how fast and howfar gaming has progressed. Then he ruined it all by showing a student made film by an 'gaming addict' I can sum it up in 2 words, 'utter ballocks'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just looked at that out of boredom. Dave Perry was basicall showing how fast and howfar gaming has progressed. Then he ruined it all by showing a student made film by an 'gaming addict' I can sum it up in 2 words, 'utter ballocks'.

i dunno: look at most scary World of Warcraft players. They are prob having more "fun" at their online "life" grinding away with their online mates than the fun they get out of the life they chose to lead in the real world. (ditto any other MMORPG)

Granted the student film was wanky, it was very well put together and made some good points to be fair: some people are scarily addicted to games and do find the line between "reality" and "virtual reality" blurred.

I'm sure a lot of people these days communicate with their friends more via social network sites,email and in game chat and voice comms than more traditional means.

Advertisement