Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalists who use boards for stories

Options
  • 07-10-2008 8:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Is this allowed? There's at least one user (but I'm sure there are loads) who posts on boards asking for people to PM them so they can write about them in a sunday newspaper. That's all they post on, is this ok? Would've thought it was pretty much the same as shilling?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's generally frowned upon alright.

The Media Interaction forum was set up as a kind of medium for them but it never quite kicked off.

Journalists are scum of the earth anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's generally frowned upon alright.

The Media Interaction forum was set up as a kind of medium for them but it never quite kicked off.

Journalists are scum of the earth anyway :pac:

Not sure why it never kicked off, it's always my first port of call as that's where the bots drop all the pr0n adds first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

It doesn't work cause no one wants to interact with the meeja.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Am I the only one that likes the media?

A radio producer got on to me through here 3 years ago and myself and a few others on here are now good friends with the presenters and work with them regularily.

And as much as the media come here to use whats available I've found they are good contacts when the shoe is on the other foot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thing is you got lazy journalists that get boards users to do the work for them and they then make money from it, its only right they get permission before they decided to use boards for research

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

6th wrote: »

I like the media!!! *

* cause I'm one of them :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thing is you got lazy journalists that get boards users to do the work for them and they then make money from it, its only right they get permission before they decided to use boards for research

Yeah this is the problem. Also when they want to do stories about personal problems, body issues, etc, which is what this user was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

6th wrote: »

A radio producer got on to me through here 3 years ago and myself and a few others on here are now good friends with the presenters and work with them regularily.

And as much as the media come here to use whats available I've found they are good contacts when the shoe is on the other foot.

You see, that kind of thing is perfectly good, and something I'd certainly like to be a part of, but as Cabaal says, there are a lot of lazy journalists who get boards to do their work for them, so it really does depend.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There has been some one sided interaction on the Galway forum - as far as we can tell mostly reporters acting like posters to glean information to print.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

You see, that kind of thing is perfectly good, and something I'd certainly like to be a part of, but as Cabaal says, there are a lot of lazy journalists who get boards to do their work for them, so it really does depend.

New Joiner, first post, starts a thread: What do people think of <random irish dead "celebrity">
    Certain poster: No big deal, they died, who cares
    News of The World, the following sunday "Irish internet users poured scorn on the plight of <random irish dead "celebrity"> saying
    • NO BIG DEAL!
    • WHO CARES!

true story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

tbh wrote: »
    New Joiner, first post, starts a thread: What do people think of <random irish dead "celebrity">
    News of The World, the following sunday "Irish internet users poured scorn on the plight of <random irish dead "celebrity"> saying
    • NO BIG DEAL!
    • WHO CARES!

true story.

Well to be fair, saying "Who cares" when someone dies is an extremely selfish, ignorant and juvenile thing to say. People should care, and they should show concern over whether or not these bodies are being properly disposed of to prevent reanimation of the dead. If you're going to be flippant over such a deadly serious situation, then you probably deserve to be shown up for the fool you are by the media/have your brains eaten by a celebrity zombie. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Well to be fair, saying "Who cares" when someone dies is an extremely selfish, ignorant and juvenile thing to say. People should care, and they should show concern over whether or not these bodies are being properly disposed of to prevent reanimation of the dead. If you're going to be flippant over such a deadly serious situation, then you probably deserve to be shown up for the fool you are by the media/have your brains eaten by a celebrity zombie. :mad:

Newsflash!

Well known internet pundit warns of the dangers of iminent zombie attack due to poor body disposal!

Mr Hungus who was contacted but refused to comment to this reporter is believed to have said "If a zombie eats your brains then it's your fault for burying and not cremating"

what a load of bollo**click** eh, heh heh yeah, it appears I was mistaken alright, sorry bout that, my bad.

please don't shoot my puppy now Karl, I've done what you asked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You're falling into the same trap as the media tbh. All they seem to care about is celebrity corpses not being disposed of correctly and becoming the walking undead. The front pages are covered with pictures of the reanimated corpses of Brittany Spears, Amy Winehouse, Kate Moss etc because that's what sells papers.

The media needs to wake up and realise that there are regular people dying too, and they can't all afford fancy entourages to make sure their head gets seperated from their body when they die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

JOURNALISTS USING INFORMATION FROM VARIOUS MEDIUMS...SHOCKER!

What is the world coming too?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• NO BIG DEAL!
    • WHO CARES!

true story.

Im shocked at the NOTW! all their other stories are balanced, credible and objective. ;)

Actually there are many topical issues discussed on boards that would do well to get some media coverage. I dont have any issue with the media using the site as a source of information as long as its done correctly, and taken with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What irks me is when they go into PI, copy the original post and then take all the responses and make them their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Here's a typical example of a lazy media researcher proving they're too
    lazy to do proper work
    http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=182433
    http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57496574&postcount=55

If you check their past posts it's easy to see the type of bottom-feeder
    they are. One must ask what do they contribute here and give back to
    the Boards.ie community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

What's the story with quoting from posts for articles, is any permission needed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Peared wrote: »
    What's the story with quoting from posts for articles, is any permission needed?
    When you sign up here you get a pm and email basically saying that anything you post is owned by boards (also hence the need for heavy moderation on the site) so yeah, permission from the owners would be required to publish or re-produce anything for commercial purposes.

SteveC wrote: »
    When you sign up here you get a pm and email basically saying that anything you post is owned by boards (also hence the need for heavy moderation on the site) so yeah, permission from the owners would be required to publish or re-produce anything for commercial purposes.

*ahem*

Forum Rules (read this, it's important) All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of boards.ie, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
    By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
    The owners of boards.ie reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason & and to suspend or ban any user account for any reason.

Not sure what PM you are alluding too? Linky?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

*ahem*

Forum Rules (read this, it's important) All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of boards.ie, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
    By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
    The owners of boards.ie reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason & and to suspend or ban any user account for any reason.

Not sure what PM you are alluding too? Linky?

Responsibility and ownership are distinct and discrete and are not necessarilary mutual - i.e. even though boards may retain ownership of content it does not mean they can be held responsible for it.

If RTE show footage of a hijacked plane crashing into a skyscraper - are they responsible for the crash? No.
    Do they own the footage? Yes.

SteveC wrote: »
    Responsibility and ownership are distinct and discrete and are not necessarilary mutual - i.e. even though boards may retain ownership of content it does not mean they can be held responsible for it.

If RTE show footage of a hijacked plane crashing into a skyscraper - are they responsible for the crash? No.
    Do they own the footage? Yes.

Totaly agree. Were I to link to a CNN footage, it would not be mine. It would be CNN's

My comments on the footage are my own words. Can you point out the bit were when you sign up to boards you pass over ownership of your comments? and legal rights pass to boards?
    I see the point you made and are still making? Not being funny but I'd like clarification on it.

You speak the funny talk. I think I either own my words, or someone else does? Boards can own my comments all it wants :)

Here's a typical example of a lazy media researcher proving they're too
    lazy to do proper work
    http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=182433
    http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57496574&postcount=55

If you check their past posts it's easy to see the type of bottom-feeder
    they are. One must ask what do they contribute here and give back to
    the Boards.ie community.

the user you have linked to got permission from the admins to do what they are doing, so I'd be a tad careful about the old personal abuse angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Not being funny but I'd like clarification on it.

Because of the libel laws in Ireland, Boards are responsible for everything it's users post (or so I've read on here, I'm sure someone can clarify it), so wouldn't it be the highlighted bit below? Bit of a stretch but it still pretty much covers it, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

the user you have linked to got permission from the admins to do what they are doing, so I'd be a tad careful about the old personal abuse angle.

Fair enough if they have permission, but I found it annoying they posted
    the following

RTE & Consumer Issues
    Hello Everyone!
    RTE are currently working on a programme about consumer issues and are interested in hearing your consumer experiences from both public and private service areas. Please contact RTE in confidence at consumer.response@rte.ieThanks!smile.gif

on numerous threads relating to customer complaints across various fora
    (not just media interaction or consumer issues) including twice on this
    one thread in After Hours yesterday (looks like the mails are now deleted)

Fair enough if they have permission, but I found it annoying they posted
    the following

on numerous threads relating to customer complaints across various fora
    (not just media interaction or consumer issues) including twice on this
    one thread in After Hours yesterday (looks like the mails are now deleted)

I agree, FWIW. I think that it's good they are taking an interest, and you have to respect the fact that they followed the correct channels and got the required permission - a lot wouldn't bother. But a discussion on what this means would be useful - theoretically, if RTE can do it, so could any other media outlets - guidelines would be useful at this stage. I know that the Media Interaction forum didn't really work out, my own opinion was that posts like these should be limited to a sticky in each forum.

I see the point you made and are still making? Not being funny but I'd like clarification on it.
    You're correct about the welcome mail, it doesn't specifically say anything about ownership. I was confusing it with the bit about account deletion.

From the rules that you quoted earlier:
    "The owners of boards.ie reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason & and to suspend or ban any user account for any reason."
    ...and based on the fact that after 24hours (or whatever), users can no longer edit or delete their posts means that the only entity with actual control over the content of the site is 'boards' (collectively meaning admins and mods) and to me, control implies ownership.
    The only way you can modify or delete what you have posted is by asking 'boards' to do it and it's entirely at their discretion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

The wording in the sign up agreement is to protect boards and reduce unnesessary and repeated explanations regarding removed posts - so many users claim their right to free speech - this wording just allows us to point them back at the sign up agreement and say you agreed that we could delete anything - in fact we delete very little and then only to protect the site.

If we were to specify every instance where we delete posts, the agreement would be very long and every troll and his/her granny who pushed the envelope would argue how their posts did not exactly meet the specification for removal and should be reinstated.

Regarding the media interacting on boards.ie, this can be a good thing - members can get more media attention, however the media should ask permission if they use a story and the right person/people to ask permission is those people who contributed to a thread. This can be done on thread or by pm. Regarding giving something back, I suppose they are giving something back by telling the story (with permission) highlighting certain concerns, I have seen threads where members were trying to get their story on the Joe Duffy Show or Prime Time to name just 2.

The reason for the no editing period - is to prevent the changing of history - and the fact that removing posts mess up threads that other members have contributed to nothing to do with ownership.

Advertisement