Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalists who use boards for stories

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

FTR, a researcher pm'd me a few days ago about a post i had on a thread on consumer issues, i replied with my phone number. She rang me, I shared my story, I think this should be allowed.

However, if i was getting random messages from random people with random issues, it is then that I disagree and I believe that the media interaction forum should be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SteveC wrote: »
    When you sign up here you get a pm and email basically saying that anything you post is owned by boards (also hence the need for heavy moderation on the site) so yeah, permission from the owners would be required to publish or re-produce anything for commercial purposes.

By that reasoning if I purchased a ream of paper in Easons and wrote a best seller on it Eason's could claim ownership of the book.

We all own what we write here and anywhere else for that matter, don't confuse ownership with responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The Muppet wrote: »
    By that reasoning if I purchased a ream of paper in Easons and wrote a best seller on it Eason's could claim ownership of the book.
    It's a legal minefield beset by the problem that there's very little legal precedent and/or case law.

There was an interesting case in the UK courts a few months ago where the judge deemed on-line fora akin to lose talk in a pub, and that the pub itself should not be deemed responsible for the slanderous/liablious chat of its patrons.

But there was was another case in the UK previous to that where the motely fool website got pwned by a particularly litigious individual keen to protect his reputation as a major city dealer.

Disclaimers, such as the one required when you sign up to boards can be equally dubious legal instruments. For example, one of the terms and agreements of boards might be that the directors of boards ltd reserve the right to come around and murder your wife. You might sign up to this term, but it doesn't indemnify any of the directors of boards from future murder charges.

Equally, it could be argued that one of the terms being that boards owns the copyright to your posts is a mute point.

Again, it's a massive legal grey area hampered by a lack of previous case-law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Some very good points there Dublinwriter. Interesting debate actually!

Really at the end of the day a person is responsible for their actions, well in my world. Regardless of the medium or their actions. I have a new sig to protect my words of wisdom. With my new sig I have accepted full ownership of my posts and ramblings on boards.ie :)

It's a legal minefield beset by the problem that there's very little legal precedent and/or case law.

There was an interesting case in the UK courts a few months ago where the judge deemed on-line fora akin to lose talk in a pub, and that the pub itself should not be deemed responsible for the slanderous/liablious chat of its patrons.

But there was was another case in the UK previous to that where the motely fool website got pwned by a particularly litigious individual keen to protect his reputation as a major city dealer.

Disclaimers, such as the one required when you sign up to boards can be equally dubious legal instruments. For example, one of the terms and agreements of boards might be that the directors of boards ltd reserve the right to come around and murder your wife. You might sign up to this term, but it doesn't indemnify any of the directors of boards from future murder charges.

Equally, it could be argued that one of the terms being that boards owns the copyright to your posts is a mute point.

Again, it's a massive legal grey area hampered by a lack of previous case-law.

Personally I believe the ownership of the posts on any Irish based forum would be pretty clear cut .

Good point re the disclaimer, That would be my thinking on it too.

Dathai McGee ,does your sig mean that I would be in breach of copyright if I quoted your post in my reply? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

We all own what we write here and anywhere else for that matter, don't confuse ownership with responsibility.
    If you bought the paper then you own it. Boards owns the data on whatever media posts are stored on so I don't see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

For what I write, I would like to think that I own the data I provide, but that I provide it on a totally public basis where it is readable by those who use the site alongside me, and because I use Boards.ie as my 'medium', then they will have full control over my information because I give them that control by using that medium.

As far as I am concerned, I own the data, but Boards.ie can do whatever the fúck they want with it, providing an admin doesn't falsely represent themselves as me, by submitting/editing a post to make it look like I said it when I didn't. Hence the 'last edited by *** @ 12:05'. As long as they don't do that, i am happy to take responsibility for what I say here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

While I agree that we own what we write your analogy needs correction when you note that Boards.ie doesnt ask you for money.

Its like walking into Easons, opening a ream of paper and writing a bestseller while sitting in the shop.

SteveC wrote: »
    If you bought the paper then you own it. Boards owns the data on whatever media posts are stored on so I don't see your point.

If you purchased a Jonas Brothers cd today you would own the CD but you would not own the rights to the content of the cd, see my point now?

6th wrote: »

Its like walking into Easons, opening a ream of paper and writing a bestseller while sitting in the shop.

No It's not , Easons doesn't invite you into their shop and say here's your free paper to write on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Dathai McGee ,does your sig mean that I would be in breach of copyright if I quoted your post in my reply? ;)

sssssssssh! Say nothing! I am on to a potential goldmine here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

sssssssssh! Say nothing! I am on to a potential goldmine here!
    Quoted. And I don't owe you anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Tbh I'm sure journalists come here for the exact same reason I do.

It's a handy source for everything that's happening, ranked in order of its popularity and novelty. If you read some threads from beginning to end you'll have an understanding of that topic that even an in depth feature article in a Sunday broadsheet would have difficulty aping.

Sure why wouldn't you use it then?

Advertisement