Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Deus Ex 3 Details

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Oooooh contravertial.

Partly right... but contravertial. :)

Have just broken out Deus Ex again.
    It's wonderful. Just perfect.

I am going to go right ahead and assume that 3 is going to be totally ****, and that way I won't have to worry about it disappointing me. Of course, I've barely upgraded since HL2 so I won't be playing it even if I wanted to. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

You know if a developer announced it was redoing the original in a current engine I'd be more excited. I would love to play it in a modern graphics engine. I wouldn't consider it sacrilege just a perfect homage. Classics like that should be updated every 5 years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Deus Ex 2 was only guilty of not being as good as the first. As a stand alone game, if you never played the original and only ever played IW you'd probably think it was a good game. I actually enjoyed it, no Deus Ex, but still good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It had some major issues though, and the levels were ridiculously small. I guess i was guilty of comparing it to the first one. I blamed it more on consoles though. Was the first time i ever agreed with someone saying that the game had been "xboxed".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I agree about the remake; if ever a game cried out for a tarting up of the graphics (Which quickly became out of date) & tightening of the AI and other major bugs, it's Deus Ex 1. I know there is a mod crew out there that was trying to upgrade the game's engine (it's here, though as you can see, it's fairly dead atm), but a proper development house could bring something interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For those of you interested in keeping tabs on this game, some details came out through the translation of a Czech preview. There's nothing earth shattering really, unless you consider the inclusion of a global conspiracy revelatory. In which case, you really weren't paying attention the first time around ;)
    -the world is ruled by megacorporations, more powerful than national governments. The conspiracy groups are setting these corporations against each other.

-the black ops slaughter the research division of the corporation Adam works at. The questions who and why is behind the attack are answered relatively soon into the game, however more serious questions arise with the answers.

-You will be regularly visiting Adam's apartment with many reminiscences of his past like photos and a diary

-The game takes place in five well-known metropoleis, mentioned were Shanghai, Detroit and Montreal

-Women play a large role in the game, some of them you've known for a long time, others will try to seduce or betray you, depending on your previous actions

-Bosses are included, their difficulty also depending on your previous actions

-The secret societies are just puppets for a shadowy figure who wants to take control over all of the market, society, and the human evolution.

-The events of the game will lead to the establishment of UNATCO

-The main villain is to be 'similiar' to Jensen

-a rescue mission across the globe later in the game

-squad based combat AI with a visually identifiable squad leader

Translation:
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=85713

Czech Article (with screenshots):
    http://hratelne.centrum.cz/preview/clanek.phtml?id=623266

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

squad based combat. lame

hooray for bosses tho

Jazzy wrote: »
    squad based combat. lame

hooray for bosses tho
    It seems by "Squad based combat AI", they mean literally just that; AI npcs that orientate via a leader, who when take out leaves the squad in dissaray (rather than meaning you command a squad):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deus-ex-3-wants-bioshock-atmosphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

pixelburp wrote: »
    -The events of the game will lead to the establishment of UNATCO

Meaning -
    A finale resulting in the destruction of the Statue of Liberty
    ?

I must say; I'm still cautiously optimistic about this.

I'm not sure what that point about women is supposed to mean though? Is that a reflection on the developers, or an answer to a question asked by the Czech gaming magazine?

JCDenton wrote: »
    Meaning -
    A finale resulting in the destruction of the Statue of Liberty
    ?

I must say; I'm still cautiously optimistic about this.

I'm not sure what that point about women is supposed to mean though? Is that a reflection on the developers, or an answer to a question asked by the Czech gaming magazine?
    One presumes it'll just be another avenue to explore when interacting with NPCs to further yourself in the game. Do you threaten, persuade or seduce?

I just hope it'll be as lengthy & meaty a game as Deus Ex 1. Man, that sucker just kep going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Slash/ED wrote: »
    Deus Ex 2 was only guilty of not being as good as the first. As a stand alone game, if you never played the original and only ever played IW you'd probably think it was a good game. I actually enjoyed it, no Deus Ex, but still good.
    that was the case of me, ive never played the original. but then ive never played a fallout game. and ive only sparingly played lemmings.

But I HAVE played Maubis and Dune 2, so leave me alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

pixelburp wrote: »
    One presumes it'll just be another avenue to explore when interacting with NPCs to further yourself in the game. Do you threaten, persuade or seduce?

This is true, and a commendable property for an "in-game conversation" to have; although, I'd be slightly concerned if I asked a group of developers to make a list of the 10 best things about their game, and one of them was: - "And now, you can talk to women too!!".

I don't think it's a particularly new, or innovative feature.

I did however like Eurogamer's article that you linked to.
    It mentions using facial expressions to judge a character's mindset, as opposed to simply listening to what they say.

Oblivion has facial expressions (as have a few other games), but it'd be nice to hear someone feeding you some "information", and you deem it to be a lie based on their uneasy look while saying it.

Advertisement