Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Tyres & Service

Options
  • 07-10-2008 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Alright guys,

This is my first post in the cycling section so hello all.

I'm just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a bike shop that will fit a couple of tyres and tubes on my bike and also give it a once over i.e service brakes have a look at the gears.

I am a novice Dublin City commuter cyclist. Approx 8-10k per day.

I also need to get myself a small pump and a good lock but looking at other threads I assume I am as well of buying these online?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Where abouts are you? Don't want to send you halfway to malahide if you're in sandyford!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'68 wrote:
    Where abouts are you? Don't want to send you halfway to malahide if you're in sandyford!

Sorry!
    Forgot to mention where I am based. I am living in Inchicore and cycling to City Centre daily.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You can get tyres and basic servicing in almost any bike shop. You're probably as well off just going to whichever one is near your home or work - where are you based?

Don't buy too-small a pump - get the biggest one you can reasonably carry. Smaller pumps get the job done (just about) but it takes ages.

Regarding locks - spend a good bit of money on it. And expect it to be really heavy. Kryptonite and Abus are good brands to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

W123-80's wrote: »
    Sorry!
    Forgot to mention where I am based. I am living in Inchicore and cycling to City Centre daily.
    Cheers

Wolfe Cycles in Kimmage might be convenient for you - I've found them useful in the past.

Cycleways on Parnell St. have a large service department too.

Morgan wrote: »
    Wolfe Cycles in Kimmage might be convenient for you - I've found them useful in the past.

Cycleways on Parnell St. have a large service department too.

There's not much I can add to that. The Cyclesuperstore on the greenhills road are good too if you're not put off by the distance. I'm in inchicore too but my folks are in dundrum so joe dalys gets my business. Its worth learning how to do the basics yourself though. I rarely go to a shop anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Thanks guys,

Might actually fit the tyres myself. I assume the old saying "its like riding a bicycle, you never forget" also applies to fixing punctures ang changing tyres..?!!

Prob a good 15 years since I had the two forks and a basin of water out..:D

Good man! You'll save yourself a fortune if you get tyres and the like on-line and you can feel all smug that you did it yourself.

Advertisement