Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on shooting positions

• 07-10-2008 10:01am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

in similiar vein to the target shooting forum, was wondering what your opinions or advice is re techniques and positions taken when shooting for ARPs or competitions.

Personally im convinced that lately I have tried too many different positions each time ive been on the range. Mostly im concerned about the prone position.

Usually its left leg straight, right leg bent (i think!) and rifle elevated with only elbows on the ground, twist the barrel grip anti clock wise, twist the pistol grip clockwise and pull the butt tight into the shoulder, somehow though this feels uncomfortable sometimes, especially the lower back.

Also when firing to zero the weapon, my groupings sometimes are quite large, other times quite accurate and I reckon its different handling techniques thats causing the problems.

Recently, on the advice of a member of a shooting team, I began placing the barrel grip as close to the ground as possible, resting the side of my left hand on the ground to try and increase accuracy, At first it seemed to work but then it wandered around the target a little and indeed when i went back to elevating the rifle back to both elbows on the ground, my groupings improved slightly. Now im utterly confused.

Also the sight picture down the steyrs can be quite awful at times and trying to get a clear circle without black blurring one edge or another requires more squirming around which again requires further adjustment of elbows etc...

overall my prone shooting is usually ok but recently its been bugging me that im doing something wrong, maybe thinking about too many things and my accuracy isnt quite as good as it used to be.

What is the best method of breathing when taking the shot, when breath is out or in?

your advice and opinions are appreciated and its always interesting to hear a fellow shooters opinions or tips and experience of different ways of shooting.

Weird thing is that I can get good scores with the fleeting and popup targets every time but my groupings on the timed shootings etc can be quite awful :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The fundamentals of a good shooting position are comfort, the use of as little muscle tension as possible while still being solid, and stability. There are other things, but those are the most significant. If your position is built on solid foundations (Elbows taking body weight without huge effort from your body core, trunk not twisted, legs in comfortable but useful position) you've got a lot less to worry about. It sounds like you're not using a sling, in which case my advice is build a slightly higher position in order to bring the weight of the rifle back over your elbows, which will take the weight off your forearms, reducing any wobble. As regards breathing, your position should be naturally zeroed when exhaled about 70-80%. Settle on that, don't exhale further, and don't hang around too long, or sight picture will blur as your eyes strain. If it looks good, release the shot. At the end of the day, everyone's position is different. Mine is quite flat, while others are higher. Some are rolled over more and some are basically laminated to the floor. It depends on your physiology and what you find comfortable, repeatable and stable. Good luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Duffers

Sounds like you are too tense!
    Some tips that worked for me:
    Before you get prone, try scooping the gravel where your elbows will rest, then let them sink into the gravel.
    Also sounds like you're pushing into the sight too much maybe, try resting your head further back.
    When you are happy with your position, let go of the pistol grip, open your palm and bring your arm out to 90 degrees(or three o'clock) of the weapon, with the but seated in your shoulder, then slowly bring your arm back (keeping it straight) to the twelve o'clock, then slowly run your hand down the weapon until it reaches the pistol grip. Make sense? :confused:

When you breathe in, the sight should move down, as you breathe out it should move up and align itself with the target. Some people like to have their feet flat to the deck and facing out, others like to point their toes downwards. Some have one leg oblique to the line of fire, others don't.
    I was only ever a nod, but I loved shooting, it was one of the only areas I was 100% confident in. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

The shadow problem you're speaking of is down to incorrect eye relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

There is no substitute for good instruction on weapons handling in the classroom, and good coaching on the range. If you are unsure of the best position, ask your instructor - a good instructor will work with you to get the best technique or firing position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

You just sound like your uncomfortable in the prone position. if your getting strain in your lower back your too high up front, if you get my drift and then its all just a knock on effect from there, breathing becomes laboured, your tense so eye relief is off, your getting more stressed thinking about it all the next thing you know your gripping the weapon for dear life in frustration....relax and breathe and take your time.

Your perfect prone is a case of trail and error, left leg up, left leg down, right leg up, right leg down, legs splayed toes down for purchase and so on.

practise your prone blah, blah, blah, blah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I agree about you are to tense try to relax more and not "pull everything in". Try different variations on the prone position again this has been suggested but firstly get comfortable.

I will add one tip but I am not sure I can explain it properly. Once you are in your firing position and aiming at the target relax your arm and lower the barrel of the rifle as well as relax your eye for a few seconds. Now bring the rifle back into the aim, you should be aiming at exactly the same spot. If you are not aiming in the same spot then you need to adjust your firing position.

If you are aiming high then without moving the rifle move your body slightly forward to bring your aim down a small bit. The opposite for aiming low, move your body back a bit. If you are aiming left or right then move your body slightly left or right to bring the aim to the target. If you are left and high or visa versa then you need to do both movements. Did that make sense? Ok once you have adjusted your position then take aim and relax, bring the aim back to test your position. If not on target then re-adjust!

Once you find your position and can relax your aim and bring it back to the exact same same spot I guarantee you will get a tight grouping as long as you apply the remainder of the marksmanship principles.

As for breathing once you have your aim breathe in and out, your barrel will rise and fall. On a out breath once your are on target hold your breath and squeeze the trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Oh... not trying to tell you how to suck eggs but..squeeze the trigger, I think we all know how important this is, also the action of your trigger sqeeze is very important which part of your finger is actually used to pull the trigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Canberra man

When I was doing NS in the artillery, I was in the rifle team. My position must been ok because I could put ten in a two inch group at 200 and that was using the 303 Lee enfield. I loved that gun!!

Ken

When I was doing NS in the artillery, I was in the rifle team. My position must been ok because I could put ten in a two inch group at 200 and that was using the 303 Lee enfield. I loved that gun!!

Ken

The 303 was a great rifle and extremely accurate but that is some grouping. Was that with optics? That would have been my kind of grouping at 100, at 200 I would be looking at 90 mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Holding 1 MOA is a serious feat with iron sights. Fair fecks.

Advertisement