Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio from HTPC

Options
  • 07-10-2008 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I've got my HTPC up and running with this motherboard. I've discovered that audio over HDMI doesn't work in Linux - even with an nVidia card let alone an ATI card.

The board has a SPDIF connection on it which I believe I can use for audio to my TV. I'm not very familiar with this tbh. Does anyone know what cable I need to get?

The TV is a Samsung 32" LCD - don't have the actual model # handy but I can get it tonight if required.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi,

Not sure if you can send audio to your TV via SPDIF. Your TV would need a SPDIF in, where most have the opposite a SPDIF out. Sorry I know not much help I defer to others to advise further. BTW - I too have a samsung TV so maybe they have a SPDIF out and I haven't noticed!

Majj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ffocused

Had a look at you mobo and it also has analogue sound outputs. your tv should have a set of rca inputs (red & white jacks) which you could use. you need a cable like this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=108381 it connects to the jack for front l/r speakers on the 7.1 output. (8 different coloured headphone jacks) on the mobo.

you can get them in woodies, power city etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'll have to check if the TV has general RCA inputs - I'm not sure it does. It has composite input but that's for SCART3 (iirc).

I'll get the model of the TV tonight and find the online manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

ffocused is right. For my HDMI, I use the gfx card out into my TVs HDMI input and the motherboards audio goes into the composite inputs. RCA and composite are the same thing.

You'll need to check your TV manual to be sure though. Mine explicitly explains how to input audio for each HDMI input. I don't have a Samsung (unfortunately) so yours could be a little different.

Thanks lads - I'll check it out. The onboard audio works fine atm - using speakers. But I want the audio through the tv for obvious reasons :)

• Advertisement

Just checked the TV - it does have a separate audio input (red/white) - two in fact!. Looking at that cable - it ony has one connector for the PC - is that enough to get stereo sound? Do I not need two connectors? I'm not worried about surround atm - I'll get some decent wireless 5.1 speakers at some stage. Until then stereo from the TV will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Macros42 wrote: »
    Looking at that cable - it ony has one connector for the PC - is that enough to get stereo sound? Do I not need two connectors?

Yep, its 3.5mm one end which is stereo. Same connector as headphones from an mp3 player/walkman. Your PCs motherboard will output sterio in one jack. Usually its the green coloured socket.

Then the other end of the cable is phono/RCA/composite. Connect these to the telly.

You can get this cable in any electronics/electrical shop.

ofc - the other one I have in the PC at the moment is the sub-woofer :o
    €3.79 from Komplett - 19.99 in Argos! :eek:

Peats have one for €7 - that'll do :)

Ok I bought one of the cables suggested and I still can't get sound. The model of the TV is LE32R82B. There is an audio connection beside the vga input (page 4 of the manual if anyone cares to look at it). I tried a 3.5mm connection from sound card to it - no joy. The PC is plugged into HDMI2 and I tried the RCA connectors beside it. The only other audio connections are for Component in.

Just looking at it again I'm not sure if I tried the DVI in RCA connectors but I think I did. I'll try it again this evening. In the manual it says that "no additional audio connection is needed for HDMI to HDMI. Is it possible it's ignoring the Audio input because I'm using the HDMI output on the PC? Will I need to get a DVI to HDMI adapter for this to work?

It's down to interpretation but it appears that it won't detect audio if you're using a HDMI-HDMI cable. So my next alternative is to use DVI-HDMI - which should.

This is the motherboard. The Gigabyte site says it's DVI-D.
    motherboard_productimageback_ga-ma69gm-s2h_big.jpg

This adapter should do the trick right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Just bought one of them adapters in Pc-World for €14 going to try it over the weekend.

Don't have the same TV as your self so i hope i don't run into any problems.

It's more to do with the DVI port than the adapter. There's 1 HDMI standard but about 6 DVI ones.

Anyway - I may have found the problem and if I have I'll be too embarassed to tell you what it is. It's nothing to do with HDMI audio output being muted by default in Linux ... nothing at all to do with that .... This post does not imply that at all.

Well the adapter worked fine for me. Had a 4in1 to plug my sound into so im not using the TV for sound. Its so nice looking at movies in 46" and in good quality with sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

If you have went as far as building a HTPC and connected it to a HD TV, then you really should invest in a 5.1 setup and feed the sound via the optical link then. Your missing out if you dont.

Sound does work through the HDMI output. I still haven't got it working properly so I'm still on the PC speakers for the nonce. I'm not that concerned about 5.1 - I don't want cables running around the room and the sound from the TV is good enough for me.

Building a HTPC ins't that big a deal tbh - going 'as far as that' doesn't apply - I did it for HD and recording and to replace the XBMC Xbox that it replaced - not for sound. The room is small enough that the TV audio is plenty.

I do need to buy an nVidia card tho - the ati fglrx driver is not liked by MythTV at all. So I may get one with HDMI or I may go down the DVI/RCA route - haven't decided yet. In the meantime I'm not using Myth - just watching vids from a mount to my NAS box.

If you have went as far as building a HTPC and connected it to a HD TV, then you really should invest in a 5.1 setup and feed the sound via the optical link then. Your missing out if you dont.

I found a big improvement in sound by just pluging into my speakers. Now if i use optical i will get more, could do that will have to think about it.

Question
    I have 4 Speakers then 1 subwoofer/Base speaker, that i plug my 4 speakers into.
    Its an old system and i lost the box ect for it...
    Just wondering is it a 4in1 or a 5in1 system i have ?

Ok had a quick google and its a 4in1, at the moment it will do me fine. Don't have the money to get something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Orion wrote: »
    I've got my HTPC up and running with this motherboard. I've discovered that audio over HDMI doesn't work in Linux - even with an nVidia card let alone an ATI card.

The board has a SPDIF connection on it which I believe I can use for audio to my TV. I'm not very familiar with this tbh. Does anyone know what cable I need to get?

The TV is a Samsung 32" LCD - don't have the actual model # handy but I can get it tonight if required.

Just posting to correct this for anyone reading later ....... audio over HDMI of course does work in Linux, and works well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Johnboy1951,

Thanks for the clarification, always welcome.

Given the age of this thread I'm closing now.

Ritz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement