Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do you consider a "Service"

Options
  • 07-10-2008 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Out of curiousity, am wondering what people regard as a "service".
    Im a service manager at a multi-franchise and I get comments like this all the time;

"I just got my car serviced, so can you just check the brakes, i think it might need pads"

"Just had the car serviced, could you check out the underbody for the NCT"

Do the majority of people consider a service as an oil and filter and a quick check over under the bonnet? Just very curious as to what people regard as a "service"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd consider a service to be whatever work and checks are due as per the manufacturer's service schedule. Unless the car is quite old, I would generally expect the service to pick up on anything that could be a problem before the next service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I would regard a service as being a change of filters, oil and sparks (depending on their interval). Also topping up all fluid levels, checking brakes, pads, discs, suspension components esp bushes, tyres, all lights (interior & exterior), alignment, fault code check and a test drive to see if anything else needs seeing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Services for me.
    1)First service: oil + filter, general check over.
    2)Second service: oil + filter, pollen filter, general check over.
    3)interium service: oil +filter, replace what ever filters or plugs wern't done the last service, general check over.
    4)Full service: All filters + plugs, general check over.

If theres anything needed like pads or wipers etc, the service manager will ring up and see if its ok to go ahead and do them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Service for me,
    Change of oil, change of Filters and checking all fluids, lights and tracking,The garage i leave my car in generally ask if i would like new wipers front & back? The last time they noted down on my invoice that i needed to new roll bar brushes for brakes and another part which i can't remember. I would say they generally just do the basics and anything major they note down so you know and can drop back when ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Mr.David wrote: »
    I would regard a service as being a change of filters, oil and sparks (depending on their interval). Also topping up all fluid levels, checking brakes, pads, discs, suspension components esp bushes, tyres, all lights (interior & exterior), alignment, fault code check and a test drive to see if anything else needs seeing to.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

how often do ye service your car? i get it done completly every 6 months. is this enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

prendy wrote: »
    how often do ye service your car? i get it done completly every 6 months. is this enough?
    Depends on what car and mileage, tbh. Post a bit more information.

Not your ornery onager

New fords are 20000km or 1 year, which ever comes first.
    If its in miles i'd say 15000 and some older cars or cars with high milage, 10000miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

esel wrote: »
    Depends on what car and mileage, tbh. Post a bit more information.

i do about 15-20k miles per year. 01 corolla.

i do about 15-20k miles per year. 01 corolla.

Check the owners manual it will have the intervals listed. I would imagine its about every 10k.

• Advertisement

Plug wrote: »
    New fords are 20000km or 1 year, which ever comes first.
    If its in miles i'd say 15000 and some older cars or cars with high milage, 10000miles.

20,000kms = 12,400miles not 15,000!

20,000kms = 12,400miles not 15,000!
    The miles are done in the older cars. older cars should be serviced more frequently.

Plug wrote: »
    The miles are done in the older cars. older cars should be serviced more frequently.

I know thats why I said about 10k miles. I was commenting on you saying 20k kms for new Fords and then stating 15k miles instead of 12.5k miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I get the oil and filter changed on mine every 6000miles as its an older car and i want to keep it for a long time. All these modern cars there service intervals are very long,too long in my opinion.

Actually my car a BMW goes by the service indicator but i never follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I know thats why I said about 10k miles. I was commenting on you saying 20k kms for new Fords and then stating 15k miles instead of 12.5k miles.
    I think you're misreading him - he made three separate statements there.

Fair enough, my bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

As per Manufactures Specification for the vehicle

Standard Service.

Oil + Filter ( Correct Oil for the vehicle being serviced + OEM Filter)
    Check fluids (coolant, power steering, brake) adhering to OEM guidelines.
    Inspect underbody for any potential issues (e.g C.V gaiters, rust etc)
    Inspect tyres while on ramp for nails, damage and tracking issues and advise customer on and findings.
    Reset service computer.
    Check lights.

Accountability on service also would help on maintaining quality. If any issues such as wipers or additional items ring customer and ask for permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its different for different cars, engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

When I had my garage, a service was a fixed price and included the following:

(1) Components automatically replaced
    Oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs/fuel filter, windscreen wipers, windscreen washer solution.

(2) Checked and replaced/topped up if necessary
    All bulbs, engine coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, clutch fluid.

(3) Systems tests
    Emissions test, brake imbalance, ovality & efficiency test (front & rear). Suspension imbalance test (front & rear), wheel alignment/side slip test (front & rear), headlamp alignment test (dip beam).

(4) Component inspections
    Suspension bushings, brake pipes & hoses, steering linkages, tyre condition & thread depth, CV boots, steering rack gaiters, wheel bearings, ball joint wear, anti-roll bar bushings, etc, etc.

(5) Finally a wash & polish, tyre wax, glass clean and service wet valet

I had a computerised test lane and every car that we serviced was treated as if it was going for an NCT the next day. We found that in many cases, the car we were servicing was going for an NCT imminetly and we weren't always told, so we learnt quick enough to treat every car as if it was going for an NCT tomorrow... People used to say I was mad doing this, but my customers used to comment very regularly on how happy they were that everything we checked was put into a report and handed to them with their invoice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Jonny303 wrote: »
    Hi,

Out of curiousity, am wondering what people regard as a "service".
    Just very curious as to what people regard as a "service"

got a few different 'yokes' here , toyota, nissan, mitshi, mazda.

all serviced by the same mechanic
    a service means we can drive another 10-12 k kms without returning to the garage , with the exception of tyres.

all vehicles are checked here at home each saturday, & topped up (oil, coolant, b/fluid washer etc) as necessary,

while we have had problems, we have only experienced 1 road side breakdown in over 25 years. about 4 weeks ago the crankshaft sensor failed on my wife's primera diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I just follow the manufacturer's service schedule for my car, and I expect the garage to do the same!

Advertisement