Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do people still rob alloys?

Options
  • 07-10-2008 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Im thinking of getting new wheels for my '98 BMW 5 series, the ones i really want are about 2 grand without tyres. im looking at Alpina wheels but im concerned about someone coming along and pinching them

Are a good set of locking wheel nuts any use, im worried as i can only park my car on the drive way and when i stay with the girlfriend i have to park on the street.

Cheers people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

joeperry wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Im thinking of getting new wheels for my '98 BMW 5 series, the ones i really want are about 2 grand without tyres. im looking at Alpina wheels but im concerned about someone coming along and pinching them

Are a good set of locking wheel nuts any use, im worried as i can only park my car on the drive way and when i stay with the girlfriend i have to park on the street.

Cheers people

There are gadgets that can remove lock nuts, you can get them in Halfords afaik. If someone wants your wheels badly enough they'll have them.

Its as easy as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFXfEhTi8VU

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Of course they do, as long as there is demand for them they will take them.

If I was putting €2k worth of alloy wheels on my car, along with locking nuts I'd be informing my insurance company to cover the cost of replacing them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

OP, is it really worth it?

Everytime you park, you run the risk of scraping a little bit of that €2000 away...!!!!!

It's a 1998 car, so it can't be worth huge money as it is, is it worth investing that much in it? As you know, won't make the car run any better, and you run the risk of people like me making fun of you! And that's no way to live!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

superjosh9 wrote: »
    OP, is it really worth it?

Everytime you park, you run the risk of scraping a little bit of that €2000 away...!!!!!

It's a 1998 car, so it can't be worth huge money as it is, is it worth investing that much in it? As you know, won't make the car run any better, and you run the risk of people like me making fun of you! And that's no way to live!! :D
    +1 wait till you get a new car and put it on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Hi guys,

Well the thing is they will fit my next car because more than likely i will buy the present shape 5 series in a few years ,i will be keeping my present car for at least another 5 years,its so good no reason to sell it , i just want to freshen it up a bit.

Maybe if i buy 4 different sets of locking wheel nuts for each wheel.Whats the thing you can buy in halfords for removing wheel nuts?

Maybe i should just buy cheaper wheels,theres another set of wheels they'll be about 550 quid sterling and id be less worried about them being pinched .

This is a real head v heart decision,but you only live once.

• Advertisement

Maybe if i buy 4 different sets of locking wheel nuts for each wheel.Whats the thing you can buy in halfords for removing wheel nuts?

You should only put 1 locknut on eash wheel as you are not able to put enough torque on them to secure the wheel properly. Also the 5 series has 5 nuts per wheel afaik. You need the other 4 wheelbolts tightned to the manufacturers specified torque.

Ferris wrote: »
    You should only put 1 locknut on eash wheel as you are not able to put enough torque on them to secure the wheel properly. Also the 5 series has 5 nuts per wheel afaik. You need the other 4 wheelbolts tightned to the manufacturers specified torque.

Yeah mate i know,cheers

So has anyone ever had there wheels stolen,ive noticed theres a lot of chavs(any irish terms for them??) driving my type of 5 series now as there getting very cheap these days ,so i guess the odds are getting larger that some of these gits will take a fancy to my wheels!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A few quick points:

1. You can't know how long you'll keep the car - a 10-year-old BMW is only one major mechanical problem away from being an uneconomic repair.

2. A €4,000 car with €2,000-worth of wheels is still a €4,000 car.

3. In today's market, €2,000 extra in your pocket when you change will get you a much nicer car.

Just my 2c.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Yes they do; but it depends on the area, friend of mine lives up beside the red cow roundabout, had a scooter robbed from an underground car park & saw a fancy (either merc or beamer) car literally up on blocks minus wheels & tyres.

Anan1 wrote: »
    A few quick points:

1. You can't know how long you'll keep the car - a 10-year-old BMW is only one major mechanical problem away from being an uneconomic repair.

Just my 2c.:)

Hi,

Well yeah ive thought of this.The worst that can happen is a over heating problem leading to a cracked head,then i can just find an engine to put in it.Much cheaper than buying a newer car what with depreciation being a wallets worst enemy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mrfamilyguy

why not buy alpina relicas???

best of both worlds??

why not buy alpina relicas???

best of both worlds??

Hi,

the just dont look right imo,plus you cant be sure of the qualty of these,Im sure replicas would void the insurance.

Hi,

the just dont look right imo,plus you cant be sure of the qualty of these,Im sure replicas would void the insurance.

Most bmws on alpinas have replica wheels. You just have to check that they are TUV approved and you should be ok. They won't be the lightest or toughest of wheels but they will do the job. I wouldn't worry about insurance apart from telling them that you have put alloys onto the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just an opinion but 2K for alloys is madness. Get something way cheaper for now and save the bulk for the next car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There are lots of very good replica wheels out there. They will be heavier, but you'd get a decent set with tires on them for ~1200.

Failing that, look at getting 2nd hand ones from the likes of FAB direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I had my wheels stolen before. It was a nissan pulsar vzr with the standard vzr wheels on it (15" 5 spoke). I didnt have locknuts on it and it was parked in an underground carpark. I was sick to come down and find it on blocks.

There was also a thread here before with a picture of a merc in donnybrook left on blocks and I also saw another merc on blocks near terenure.

So it does still go on so if you do buy them make sure you invest in a good set of locknuts. But like everything, if they really want it they will take it.

Advertisement