Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fix a stone mantle to wall?

Options
  • 07-10-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I want to fix a stone mantle above my new stove, I'm thinking a stone of 160x 60mm in section, maybe 900mm long. I haven't spoken to a supplier yet but I wanted some opinions on my strategy for fixing this to the wall. I propose getting the mantle predrilled with two 12mm dia. holes along the back, at each end of the mantle. Fix 2 short lengths of 12mm dia. threaded rod in the holes, using a polyurethane glue. Then mark and drill 2 corresponding holes in the wall, fill with glue, offer up the mantle and prop it in position while the glue goes off. Does this sound workable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I want to fix a stone mantle above my new stove, I'm thinking a stone of 160x 60mm in section, maybe 900mm long. I haven't spoken to a supplier yet but I wanted some opinions on my strategy for fixing this to the wall. I propose getting the mantle predrilled with two 12mm dia. holes along the back, at each end of the mantle. Fix 2 short lengths of 12mm dia. threaded rod in the holes, using a polyurethane glue. Then mark and drill 2 corresponding holes in the wall, fill with glue, offer up the mantle and prop it in position while the glue goes off. Does this sound workable?

Sounds Ok to me although I've never tried quite that. However, I would use epoxy resin instead of glue. It's commony used for fixings in construction and comes in glass tubes that contain the resin and hardener. You simply push a tube into the hole and then drive in the steel rod. That breaks the glass cartridge and sets off the resin, which hardens very quickly. Builders suppliers should have them in their masonery fixings sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Cheers Art, heard of the stuff alright but never seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

just to add to art's sugestion
    That two pack epoxy resin has to be mixed, although it does set by breaking the glass phile It should be mixed in the hole with the treaded bar also the rate at which the resin sets and it's strenght is determined by the rate(rpm) at which it is mixed
    strange but through
    If you need more info on it I think I have an msds/installation guide out in the shed but I aint going out in that rain. Ill have a look after.
    but it is a good idea none the less Ive used it a lot and the stuff sticks like sh1t to a blanket:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Thanks the Gall, any idea on a brand or trade name, so i know what to ask for?

Advertisement