Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell's UK pricing strategy loaded against Ubuntu

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Definitely a rip-off, considering Ubuntu is a free download. And why is their a worse webcam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

So what you do is buy the XP one, wipe it when you get it, install Ubuntu and then claim back the Windows charge from Dell. That'll probably work out cheaper even than the XP one depending on the version of Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

In the US, you can "Build yours with Ubuntu " for cheaper...

LINKY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Macros42 wrote: »
    So what you do is buy the XP one, wipe it when you get it, install Ubuntu and then claim back the Windows charge from Dell. That'll probably work out cheaper even than the XP one depending on the version of Windows.

Was thinking of that myself! They're such jerks! We're getting one of the mini inspirons for the shop and were definitely going to get the Ubuntu version but the Windows one is far better value. It's just wrong. Is Windows paying them to undermine the success of Linux based netbooks?

It's more likely a supply and demand thing. Less demand for Linux so higher price. But considering that the majority of Linux users are tech savvy I'm surprised they thought this wouldn't be spotted. And it's still ludicrous that they are charging more for the Linux one (well cheaper but much lower spec so more in real terms). Linux is free, windows costs them a license. Get the Windows one and claim back your Windows tax. I got about €50 back when I claimed back the license charge on my laptop.

• Advertisement

I didn't you know you could claim back that charge. What's the limit on it, warranty period?
    This is just a really really bad facepalm by Dell.

The limit is that you don't use Windows and wipe the machine as soon as you receive it. See this link for my email to Dell.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53464078&postcount=7

Thanks for that, next time I buy a PC that's what I'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Macros42 wrote: »
    Linux is free, windows costs them a license

Not really tbh. They pay a one off fee for as many licenses as they want. They've already paid that license fee.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you'll also find that there are more "free" extras with the windows pc - double ram / free delivery / free printer or whichever turn it is this month

so windows refund is usually the way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

so windows refund is usually the way to go

That depends on whether you want short term or long term gain.

If companies don't sell enough of the linux powered computers, it will be seen as a lack of demand and the product will be withdrawn.

The quality of your linux experience will depend largely on how well your hardware is supported, and that's something that will only improve if hardware vendors get on board and support it.

So, really, buying linux pre-installed is the way to go if you want better luck with your hardware in the future.

Here's a recent blog post that covers it better than I have: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/dell-inspiron-mini-pricing-scandal/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

simple after getting the refund you tell them the reason they charged too much for ubuntu

then again many techies / organisations wipe the preinstalled OS and start again as an alternative to decrapification

it would be interesting if they offered a system with no OS , like they do for servers - I think the main choice here is not which OS to install but the freedom to not pay for windows.

unfortunatly it's like ryanair the cost of the "service" of intalling the OS and delivery charges take a large proportion of the cost of entry level machine :(

Advertisement