Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on securing a loan...

Options
  • 07-10-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum and might sound like a very silly question in the current climate but are banks still giving out personal/student loans amid this massive crisis? Hoping to secure a loan to go back to college next spring (in the region of €20k). Hoping to do a masters in the states. Credit history is sound, etc. Am I wasting my time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Have you anyone to go guarantor on the loan? EG old man or family member with deeds of a property?

They will be getting very strict on this, the days of walking in to a bank manager pulling a few strings are gone.

You would probably have a better chance approaching a credit union.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

NIB advertising this heavily at the moment

http://www.nationalirishbank.ie/students

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Have you anyone to go guarantor on the loan? EG old man or family member with deeds of a property?

They will be getting very strict on this, the days of walking in to a bank manager pulling a few strings are gone.

You would probably have a better chance approaching a credit union.

I have a mortgage and own 45% of the property myself...I presume this would suffice? I suppose, just really need to apply and see what comes back, just hope it isn't a waste of time.

Uberwolf...thanks for that link, i'll check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    I have a mortgage and own 45% of the property myself...I presume this would suffice? I suppose, just really need to apply and see what comes back, just hope it isn't a waste of time.

Uberwolf...thanks for that link, i'll check it out
    That should be no probs since you own 45% of the property. It is worse for those that are in rentals without any assets to secure their loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Moved from Economics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right forum and might sound like a very silly question in the current climate but are banks still giving out personal/student loans amid this massive crisis? Hoping to secure a loan to go back to college next spring (in the region of €20k). Hoping to do a masters in the states. Credit history is sound, etc. Am I wasting my time?

You need a guarentor. Simple as.

Advertisement