Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GWT's total body training log

Options
  • 07-10-2008 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hello all --I was on here a year ago and garnered some useful nutrition info from g'em and others that helped to improve my (still largely meat-free, I'm afraid) diet.

For various reasons, however, I dropped off of here shortly after that, and have taken rather longer than hoped to set out on a sensible lifting programme.

To that end, I have picked up a 3x/week "total body training" programme from T-Nation. I'll log them here, and welcome any guidance. The basic rule I'm working to is that each workout should include four of the five key lifts (bench press, squat, deadlift, a pull, and a shoulder press) and two anciliary lifs.

I'm 28, 192cm, and a fairly lean 88kgs (this is the heaviest I've ever been, having rowed through university at a rather scrawny 75kg). All weights in kg, although some DBs and machines are converted from pounds.

3x5, 60 secs rest
    Deadlift 110
    Standing shoulder press 20, 15, 15
    Pull down Setting 11 (110lbs?)
    Incline DB bench 25, 27.5, 27.5
    Calf raise Setting 15 (max on machine) -- 3x10 reps
    Tricep extension Setting 14 (140 lbs = 64kg? Seems high)

3x8, 90 secs rest
    Front squat 50, 60, 60
    One-arm pull 70lbs (32kg)
    Front DB raise 25lbs (11.5kg)
    DB bench 27.5
    Power clean 60
    Standing BB curls 37.5

2x15, 120 secs rest
    Tri extension Setting 13
    Standing shoulder press 15, 12.5
    Leg curl Setting 13 (130lbs? = 60kg)
    Pull-up 2x4 with bodyweight
    Incline BB bench 40 (triceps exhausted from extensions and presses)
    Deadlift 80

4x5, 60 secs rest
    Back squat 85
    Side shoulder raise 10
    Shoulder press 15, 17.5, 20
    Pull-down 50kg?
    Calf raise Setting 15 (max on machine + extra weight)
    BB flat bench 60

4x8, 90 secs
    Deadlift 100
    Seated shoulder press 15
    Back squat 80, 70, 70, 70
    One-arm row 35
    Leg curl 59, 63x3
    Bicep curls 16, 18x3

Next workout:
    3x15 with 120 secs rest
    Skull crushers
    Deadlift
    Front squat
    Calf raise
    Standing shoulder press
    Incline DB bench press

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Hey gwt, best of luck with keeping at the log and achieving your goals. Just one question, is everything down to where you say 'Next workout', all done on the same day? It's seems like a lot of work for one day!! Or are they your workouts from the last few days??

EDIT: I just noticed that you have deadlifting and a load of others listed a few times so I assume they're from different days!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gwt

Malteaser! wrote: »
    Hey gwt, best of luck with keeping at the log and achieving your goals. Just one question, is everything down to where you say 'Next workout', all done on the same day? It's seems like a lot of work for one day!! Or are they your workouts from the last few days??

EDIT: I just noticed that you have deadlifting and a load of others listed a few times so I assume they're from different days!! :o

Thanks Malteaser. Yes, each was a different workout -- I didn't bother to note the date as it hardly matters. Six exercises is plenty of activity for me, particularly when it calls for four sets of 15-odd!

Actually, I started my log at a less-than-perfect time, as I've been coerced into running a half marathon this weekend and will need to do a few light jogs to test the knee this week. Lifting will resume on Monday.

Ran a half-marathon this weekend, in sympathy with my girlfriend and a few others who were doing it.

The decision was only taken last week, and as I literally hadn't been for a run in two months I decided my best strategy was simply to rest for the week, rather than straining my legs with a week of "training". I think the strategy worked, as my time wasn't terrible under the circumstances (1'35, or roughly half my full marathon time from two yeras ago, when I was training properly), and my legs are so knackered today that I'm glad I didn't risk wearing them out with a practice run.

Unfortunately, it also meant I've missed a week of lifting. Back to work tomorrow.

Tuesday's dismal workout:
    3x15 with 60 secs rest (should have been 120 secs)

Tricep pull-down: 60kg, 55kg, 55kg (machine, so the weights are a bit of a guess)
    Deadlift: 70, 80, 80 (compltely knackered after this)
    Incline DB bench press: 20, 20, 20
    Calf raise: Setting 14
    Front squat: 50kg (8 reps), 50kg (10 reps), abort. Just awful
    Standing shoulder press: 10, 8, 8

Yes, I was reduced to the shiny dumbbells for the shouler press.

Altogether an awful workout. I blame lingering soreness from Sunday's race, but I might also have been over-ambitious on the deadlifts. They felt fine, but it was all I could do to stagger around the gym once I'd finished them.

Misreading the schedule and giving myself only half the prescribed rest time didn't make it any easier.

Next workout will be Thursday, and is 2x18. I'm not looking forward to it.

Another not-particularly enjoyable one:

2x18 (!), 90 secs rest

Back squat - 60kg (could have done more, but after Tuesday's dismal performance I wanted to be conservative)
    Pull-downs - Setting 8 (36kg? I hope it's more than that...)
    Seated shoulder press - 15kg (switched to 12.5 for the last few on the second set)
    Leg curls - Setting 13
    DB bicep curls - 15kg
    DB flat bench - 20kg

I really struggle with these very high-repetition days. If there's a systematic way of estimating what my working weight should be for these, I don't know what it is: squat, curls and bench were too light, shoulder press and pull downs too heavy. And at any weight, getting to rep 9 and knowing you're only half-way through is demoralising.

Next workout is back to a sensible 2x8.

• Advertisement

Saturday's workout:

2x8, 60 secs rest
    Power clean: 70kg, 60kg -- failed on the last rep of the first set, so reduced the weight
    BB bench press: 60kg x 2 -- surprisingly comfortable
    One-arm pull: 34kg x 2
    Side raise: 11kg x 2
    Front squat: 60kg x 2 -- legs could have handled more, but my shoulder wouldn't have any of it
    BB bicep curl: 27.5kg, 32.5kg

Tonight is 2x12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You said you picked up a t-nation programme can you link to it please?

You said you picked up a t-nation programme can you link to it please?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/totalbody_training

It's less a programme than a rough structure. Any comments on the way I've adopted it would be much appreciated.

Advertisement