Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Broadband Customer Rip Off

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

JohnOwonga wrote: »
    >>>
    Well I remember having a discussion with Disputes at my Credit Card Company I explained the situation having signed up to one of those wonderful "variable direct debit authorizations " using my Credit Card

When I was overbilled by BTIreland I contacted them through normal channels,I even went into them in person yes they were very nice but
    did nothing about it.
    The only solution was to leave,The credit card company said cancelling the Credit Card did not exonerate one from any debts real or imaginary
    they can still charge you and if you do not pay they will blacklist your credit rating with a credit rating agency or hand it over to a Bailiff on a No Win No Fee Basis who will pursue you with interest and Bailiffs collections fees lol

Regards

If at any stage you propose to terminate your payment arrangements it is very very important to have record of your dealings with the company. Keep a record from the start of any potential dispute, copies of emails, dates and contents of telephone calls. And for the final letter I would suggest summarising the problems to date and the reason you are no longer willing to pay. I would register this final letter - it is worth the fiver to maybe save your credit rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

dub45 wrote: »
    The point here is that the products are changing for the better (at least on paper). Eircom make new products availabe to other isps at the same wholesale price. So the basic contract product is bein improved. Why shouldn't UTV pass these new products on without requiring a new contract? It has nothing got to do with the law UTV are just exploiting a situation to tie customers in to a further 12 month contract.

Eircom upgrade their customers each time they introduce new products without requiring a new contract so why shouldnt UTV?

UTV began this process a number of years ago when the era of 'cute hoorism' as I dubbed it then hit them. I criticised them at the time and people on boards actually defended them believe it or not!!!! But that was when UTV were once the darlings of boards. Hard to believe now sadly.

I am with UTV and upgraded from the 2Mb package to the 3Mb some time ago. There was no charge for upgrading, just an increased monthly price, which is to be expected. They have not charged anyone nor have they made them enter a new contract for eircom's recent speed increase. If you choose to upgrade to Clicksilver Plus (a UTV product) you will have to sign a new 12 month contract, but there isnt now, and never has been a requirement to enter into a new contract when the wholesale product from eircom is upgraded/improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

I am with UTV and upgraded from the 2Mb package to the 3Mb some time ago. There was no charge for upgrading, just an increased monthly price, which is to be expected. They have not charged anyone nor have they made them enter a new contract for eircom's recent speed increase. If you choose to upgrade to Clicksilver Plus (a UTV product) you will have to sign a new 12 month contract, but there isnt now, and never has been a requirement to enter into a new contract when the wholesale product from eircom is upgraded/improved.

So Pansy Potter are you endorsing UTV Internet for Value for Money Service &
    Technical support?
    Regards

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am with UTV and upgraded from the 2Mb package to the 3Mb some time ago. There was no charge for upgrading, just an increased monthly price, which is to be expected. They have not charged anyone nor have they made them enter a new contract for eircom's recent speed increase. If you choose to upgrade to Clicksilver Plus (a UTV product) you will have to sign a new 12 month contract,
    but there isnt now, and never has been a requirement to enter into a new contract when the wholesale product from eircom is upgraded/improved.

That is wrong pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

dub45 wrote: »
    That is wrong pure and simple.

As is normal its who has the most money and what they can get away with which prevails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭leche solara

I am with UTV too. When I first joined them a few years ago, they sold a 512mb broadband package. Soon after, eircom doubled the speeds to 1Mb and this was automatically passed on without a price increase or change to contract. Later the standard broadband package was further doubled by eircom and this too was passed on without price increase or new contract. I have since upscaled to the top package and pay extra for this, and recently eircom pushed thsi up to 7.6 which I now (almost) receive and I am paying the same price to UTV €23.99 per month and have not been required to sign a new contract. Over the years I've been with UTV I've had the occasional problem (billing, service etc.) and while they are slow to respond I am happy that they generally get there in the end. I think their Tech Support people are usually more clued in than other ISPs, but it seems that there arent enough of them.

On the whole I would give UTV a reserved thumbs up.

Advertisement