Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Is there any numbers available to show how much was lost in tax/VRT under the new rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 scab-e

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Is there any numbers available to show how much was lost in tax/VRT under the new rules?
    There was a story in the Irish Times a couple of weeks ago predicting a drop of 200m in VRT receipts and a rise of 100m in motor tax receipts. Overall a net drop of 100m in combined receipts of 2.3b to 2.2b this year. This is not bad considering the drop in volume of car sales.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/0924/1222105164043.html

I predict a 10% rise in fuel duty, another 10% on motor tax, 10% VRT increase across the board (or else just adjust the co2 VRT bands down so that cars fall into higher % brackets). A new low tax 100g co2 band. An increase in the insurance levy.

BIK on parking at work? Maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Another 10% on VRT and half the motor dealers in Ireland will have to close down - they already can't sell much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

...60% taxes on the wealthy?

Only if it's introduced as a third band. Not as a global tax on the wealthy. 20% up to 32k, 42% up to 100k, 60% for any excess over 100. I think that's fairer than most..and keeps the 20% where it as..at 20. Everybody wins and contributes their 'fair' share.

As for Motor Tax..I expect that to go up though I don't expect increases in anything to do with petrol. They would be mad to do it..but that said..it's Dail Eireann..isn't it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

word on the street is that 3/4 *major* dealers are in big trouble - and that they could be wrapped up over the coming weeks. I can't find any names, but I can imagine them.

Incidently, Volvo announced today that they are letting go *another* 3300 people. So that's 4,800 for the year out of a total of 24,000 workers.

Saab also to shed some workers but won't be to that scale at all.

That's after Land Rover, Jaguar and Renault, to name but a few, who have reduced the working week to 4 days. Can't believe Renault - that's even at the brand new Laguna factory - it isn't selling anywhere.

It's messy wherever you look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

scab-e wrote: »
    BIK on parking at work? Maybe not.

Funnily enough, you'll find if you park in Leinster House, you've a BIK that has no taxable charge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

superjosh9 wrote: »
    word on the street is that 3/4 *major* dealers are in big trouble - and that they could be wrapped up over the coming weeks. I can't find any names, but I can imagine them.

Incidently, Volvo announced today that they are letting go *another* 3300 people. So that's 4,800 for the year out of a total of 24,000 workers.

Saab also to shed some workers but won't be to that scale at all.

That's after Land Rover, Jaguar and Renault, to name but a few, who have reduced the working week to 4 days. Can't believe Renault - that's even at the brand new Laguna factory - it isn't selling anywhere.

It's messy wherever you look.

I can't understand how the banks are getting all this goodwill from governments, but the goodwill doesn't seem to be finding it's way down to the businesses around the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what happens if the banks go........

the businesses will go with them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

For those who can afford nice new 520d's, eh, how much are they new? And they pay a quarter of the road tax that I pay a year because my 8 year old 520 isn't new enough, and I can't afford a new one. Does this seem fair?

All the usuals will go up, probably petrol, motortax, insurance will want a hike too, and then all the other third parties out there who put tires on your car, and service it, and wash it. Things won't get better, just worse.

Oh, and the road tolls will go up too, cause they always do, and there is nothing you can do about it except go the long way around.

Forget about Co2 emmision crap too. Do you really think the government "in charge" are going to listen to The Greens when they need cash for the Excheqer, eh no.

The environment will always play second fiddle to the economy.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

For those who can afford nice new 520d's, eh, how much are they new? And they pay a quarter of the road tax that I pay a year because my 8 year old 520 isn't new enough, and I can't afford a new one. Does this seem fair?

what has fair got to do with it? the low vrt and road tax on the 520D is to encourage people to buy it ahead of something at the same price but with 5 or 6 times the emissions. it works. When they bought their car they paid a fortune in tax in VAT and VRT anyway.

or do you think they should be charged more than you because you can't afford the car they can? presumably should all be taxed on what you pay in road tax and what you think we should then pay to be 'fair'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Actually, they were at there cheapest then, because discounts were offered to attract new buyers and it worked. They sold a lot of cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Actually, they were at there cheapest then, because discounts were offered to attract new buyers and it worked. They sold a lot of cars.

520d's weren't discounted to attract buyers. They were cheap (comparitavely) because the VRT changes shaved over €7,000 off the price. The E220 CDI was discounted to attract buyers. That was reduced by €15,000 even though the VRT didn't come down as much on that as the 5-series.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Actually what? I never mentioned how much the car was.
    :confused:what has how much they were got to do with anything anyway?

There was still a major amount of VRT and VAT made of their purchase. Them buying a new car put a lot of money into the tax take. You reckon you should tax them a lot more afterward because you can't afford to do the same?

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I can't understand how the banks are getting all this goodwill from governments, but the goodwill doesn't seem to be finding it's way down to the businesses around the country...

Exactly!

It's very hard to take, especially when there are bank managers who should be investigated at least - €1.2 million bonuses and salaries is a little hard to justify for taking on a few sub-primes. Having said that, not quite up there with our friends at Lehman who stand to get $400m in bonuses... Good job guys, good job... http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aizKWoNVXg1Y&refer=us

You know, as annoyed as I am, I can't wait to see this budget. *What* are they going to pull out of the hat this time?!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

As for the CO2 nonsense well in fairness were a pimple on an elephants arse. As long as the worlds biggest polluters (America, India, China, Etc) keep going the way there going I doubt it matters what any of us are driving.

The problem as regards CO2 is that Ireland Inc is already way behind on our Kyoto commitments and the the promises made to the EU...the fines for that pollution and failing to tackle it start to roll in from next year on...I don't know what the figure involved is but I reckon it's sizable (especially given the stae of the country's finances).
    In the greater scheme of things it wouldn't matter if we were all driving Bentley Continentals and Ford GTs...our little islands' impact on global warming is small....but our promise to Kyoto and EU were made...now it's time to pay the piper....I reckon that it was the threat of these fines that leadt o the tax/VRT changes in Budet 08, not any input from Gormley and Co.

Apologies for starting a new thread on this topic BTW, didn't see this one beforehand.

Personally I reckon there's going to be rollback of the CO2 tax/VRT changes, to more realistic figures (for the Revenue) and I can undoubetdly see a rise in duty particulalry on petrol (I don't think anyone can afford to piss the haulage industry off any further for now, so diesel is probably safe)....when you see how much petrol has come down in the last 2 months from it's dizzying summer price level, I could envisgae the duty increase to push it back to those prices....then when oil goes up again as it inevitably will, we'll be paying 1.50 a fecking litre.

One thing I'd love to see introduced is some sort of tax/savings incentive for people willing to car pool. Won't happen of course but the benefits to traffic delays, fuel use and greenhouse emmisions would make it worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

[QUOTE=Wertz;57535109 reckon that it was the threat of these fines that leadt o the tax/VRT changes in Budet 08, not any input from Gormley and Co.
    /QUOTE]

I think I have said this a million times, but we don't have to pay these. Kyoto is utterly unenforcable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sorry for stealing your theory/thunder...
    The kyoto ones may be unenforcable...the EU ones aren't though...they'll get them one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Yay...nows a good time to be drivin a diesel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Did I hear right??

€200 tax on company car parking spaces in "urban" areas :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Motor tax up by 4% and 5% depending on size/Co2 starts Jan 09

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

keefg wrote: »
    Did I hear right??

Something about parking wasn't listening at the time, At least theres a cycling incentive :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

protest in order!!!! what a joke of a budget!

keefg wrote: »
    Did I hear right??

I think its the company that has to pay that?? Not sure>

No Speed cameras mentioned...

Well have uncle Gaybo on his whinge mode rant yet again!!!!!!!

baby_crying_closeup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I think its the company that has to pay that?? Not sure>

That maybe the case but there is a very strong possibility that it will be "passed on" by a lot of firms.

I could understand this levy if every city and large town had a first class, reliable public transpost system.....but we don't so as usual the motorist gets it in the neck.

just caught it on the radio - road tax up 4% on A-D/<2.5L and 5% on E-G/>2.5L... ?

Knew he'd differenciate like that - but frankly I thought it would be worse - much worse, in that respect only I mean.

The 940 lives another day!

I'm a bit surprised by a lot of the things. Need to sit down now and see how it works.

Edit: and btw, who's gonna cycle to work from now on??

superjosh9 wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised by a lot of the things. Need to sit down now and see how it works.

Edit: and btw, who's gonna cycle to work from now on??

Expecting much worse It'll cost me an extra fiver every time I fill her up, Adds up over the space of a year!!

I'm pumping the tyres as we speak. I work 20 miles away so it doesn't suit me!
    Wonder what the incentive will be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Confirm they didn't touch VRT on cars just the road tax you pay in relation to your band.

Confirm they didn't touch VRT on cars just the road tax you pay in relation to your band.

I didn't hear anything mentioned but I missed bits - if they didn't make any adjustment - I'm shocked!

• Advertisement

They'd cripple the Motor Industry further if they touched the VRT!!

Advertisement