Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget 2009

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

keefg wrote: »
    Did I hear right??

€200 tax on company car parking spaces in "urban" areas :eek:

Might be time for me to give up the company car so.Anyone know how the train is from Maynooth to City Center :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

They'd cripple the Motor Industry further if they touched the VRT!!
    yes but lets hope there is no further changes tomorrow with the any of Gormley's carbon budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

ah well its only fair that we the people have to pay more from now on because they threw all the money away when they had it i suppose :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

yes but lets hope there is no further changes tomorrow with the any of Gormley's carbon budget!

Touch wood,

I predict some wacky bulb tax and the plastic bag levy increased to €10 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

hmm yehh, did he mention VRT at all, i.e, even in passing or transition? I didn't hear it - you might be right

Well I think in fairness, so many people went crazy with their spending. It's about time we came back to reality - and I mean that independent to the budget etc.

• Advertisement

superjosh9 wrote: »
    hmm yehh, did he mention VRT at all, i.e, even in passing or transition? I didn't hear it - you might be right

Well I think in fairness, so many people went crazy with their spending. It's about time we came back to reality - and I mean that independent to the budget etc.

i didnt hear it mentioned at all! but wouldnt it be clever of them to spread out the pain over 2 days and announce further vrt and carbon tax changes tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

A&E costs are up from 66 to 100 euro!

VRT will be reviewed in March 09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

steve06 wrote: »
    VRT will be reviewed in March 09

Where did you hear that? Announced just now?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

i didnt hear it mentioned at all! but wouldnt it be clever of them to spread out the pain over 2 days and announce further vrt and carbon tax changes tomorrow

yeh, well, it's a good point - he only mentioned bands "A-D" and "E-G" - whose to say that those bands won't be re-jigged in terms of what C02 levels they consist of?

hmm, looks like it's back to playing the waiting game. Like I said earlier, I would be genuinely shocked if they don't alter VRT somehow - I mean in their eyes - surely they'd have to do it? They're not getting the money from the automotive industry that they were... they have to claw it back?

btw, your name isn't related to jefferson smith is it??!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

AudiChris wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? Announced just now?

What that man said. Where did you hear that Steve?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The used car values of petrol cars have gone through the floor. Most people until July this year bought petrols.

The SIMI needs something to get rid of all this useless stock.

The health service is bracing itself for cutback, so it clearly can't afford extra people going through the system.

The Government wants to promote cleaner cars, and more specifically wants to cut our CO2 emissions.

So what does that f***ing Government do?

Promote something that pollutes MORE CO2 by taxing the greener option(in every sense of the word) by 8 cent extra per litre:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad::mad:!

Thank God VRT is unchanged, until March 09 that is when I see it will be "reviewed" increased.

And motor tax up again, still that's better than VRT going up I suppose.

makes you wonder what in God's name Opel were at by announcing that they would be bringing in a 1.6 into Ireland.

On the plus side, this sohuld make used 6 pot petrols even cheaper, so my "plan" to keep my 6 pot BMW for a long while is going to be changed and I expect that I'll be changing again sooner rather than later depending on how fast the prices go down for another 6 pot BMW:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I wouldn't imagine they would mess about too much with something that was supposed to be an ECO tax. To force people to change there attitudes to what they drive.

It may hurt people spending more money i.e 520d drivers etc but it will hurt people buying cheaper cars of which more are bought in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Quote - John Gormley:
    "It will be a continuation of what occurred last year. Each successive budget we will deal with the major issues confronting us like agriculture and transport. I want to accelerate the changes," he said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0930/1222724572861.html

Sounds ominous...

mike65 wrote: »
    Motor tax up by 4% and 5% depending on size/Co2 starts Jan 09

Mike

for both systems? new and old cc system?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

E92 wrote: »
    Thank God VRT is unchanged, until March 09 that is when I see it will be "reviewed" increased.

Where did you get this info, is there any confirmation? I'm bringing in a car on Friday.....

superjosh9 wrote: »

btw, your name isn't related to jefferson smith is it??!
    ha- no, its just some random name!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

E92 wrote: »
    The used car values of petrol cars have gone through the floor. Most people until July this year bought petrols.

The SIMI needs something to get rid of all this useless stock.

+1

was passing a few garages today, and noticed that one particular garage has an accord 2.0 petrol 2006, on its forecourt since feb this year! and its still there.. they are looking for 25k for it.... is not the brand that the garage deals in.. passed by the main honda dealer today and he had another 2006 accord 2.0 petrol there for 22k, and thats at a main dealer!

this car was 35500 new.. thats savage depreciation, and the new accord hasnt been released yet, when it does, it will affect the prices even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Can anyone confirm that diesel is not included in the excise duty increase? Am still in work and getting conflicting info - with some people saying the news sites are just forgetting to include diesel. Hopefully not!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Diesel is not included.

MYOB wrote: »
    Diesel is not included.

*\o/*

Still, i feel rather violated in other ways by this budget :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Thread stickiefied for the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

for both systems? new and old cc system?

Rates going up by 2% for cars less than 2.5L or categories A-D,
    Rates increasing 5% for cars above 2.5L or categoires E, F, G

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Heroditas wrote: »
    Rates going up by 2% for cars less than 2.5L or categories A-D,
    Rates increasing 5% for cars above 2.5L or categoires E, F, G

4% and 5%, not 2% and 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

steve06 wrote: »
    A&E costs are up from 66 to 100 euro!

Damn can't afford to get sick either now. The over 70's without a card will need that €400 grant, so much for the public health service :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

just got the last bit of the budget on the radio, did i hear something about bik :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

pm. wrote: »
    just got the last bit of the budget on the radio, did i hear something about bik :confused:

Yes. This is utterly fabulous. I'm trying very hard not to laugh .. or scream
    From 1 January 2009, the provision of bicycles and associated safety equipment by employers to employees who agree to use the bicycles to cycle to work will be treated as a tax exempt benefit-in-kind. The exemption may only apply once in any five year period in respect of any employee. There will be a limit on the value of such purchases of €1,000 for each employee. The scheme may also be implemented via salary sacrifice arrangements, whereby an employee agrees to forego part of his/her salary to cover the costs associated with the purchase of the bicycle and associated safety equipment. Where such salary sacrifice arrangements are implemented, they must be completed over a maximum period of twelve months.

Oh and your car parking spot is going to get hit to the tune of €200 a year .. however they propose to apply it.

http://www.budget.gov.ie/2009/downloads/AnnexEshowingmotortaxincreases.pdf

Motor Tax increases for both new and old system

Yes. This is utterly fabulous. I'm trying very hard not to laugh .. or scream

Lol, ditto!

Oh and your car parking spot is going to get hit to the tune of €200 a year .. however they propose to apply it.

i actually like this one. As long as it's just urban areas. A proper incentive to encourage people to use other forms of transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Was wondering that myself, most car spaces are still in the ownership of the landlord or company so that's a tricky one.
    Immediately afterwards they said there'll be a tax incentive for cycling to work, I'm actually interested in this one as I've been thinking of switching to the bike.

As I was coming home this evening I saw the biggest queue for a petrol station since the oil crisis in the 70's, the queue, considering there's 2 aisles which overall can cater for 8 cars at a time, was still backed up about 10 cars onto the main road to get in :eek: Was going to fill up myself but the queue was too big but now I'm thinking there'll be none left later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Lol, ditto!

i actually like this one. As long as it's just urban areas. A proper incentive to encourage people to use other forms of transport

Is is only if public transport is available so if you live close to work and can use public transport you get hit but what do others do drive so far park and get public transport or get stung, how and who will enforce this

Advertisement