Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Here's the details of the cycle to work scheme from www.budget.gov.ie
    Cycle to work scheme
    From 1 January 2009, the provision of bicycles and associated safety equipment by employers to employees who agree to use the bicycles to cycle to work will be treated as a tax exempt benefit-in-kind. The exemption may only apply once in any five year period in respect of any employee. There will be a limit on the value of such purchases of €1,000 for each employee. The scheme may also be implemented via salary sacrifice arrangements, whereby an employee agrees to forego part of his/her salary to cover the costs associated with the purchase of the bicycle and associated safety equipment. Where such salary sacrifice arrangements are implemented, they must be completed over a maximum period of twelve months.

The estimated cost of this scheme is €0.2 million in 2009 and €0.4 million in a full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

So had anyone any reports of massive queues at filling stations yet?

Yip, me, on this thread or the one in economics, at the Texaco in Ballycoolin at 4:45 this evening, was backed out onto the main road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

This country is run by a bunch of muppetts that think they know it all. They make promise after promise then the throw up prices everywhere saying that we the people will understand because of the enconmic issues at the moment ( bo**ox to that ) excuse after excuse. I can't believe A&E has gone up by €34.00 to €100.00. The increase on Petrol is another joke as it only came down in price on Monday and oil has dropped by 40% or so and they still charge crazy prices and increase on tax yet again for cars.

I forone will be telling any FF that knocks my door to F**k Off in future and will be voting for Sinn Fein as i have year after year.

Vanbis wrote: »
    I forone will be telling any FF that knocks my door to F**k Off in future and will be voting for Sinn Fein as i have year after year.

Yeah, cause they have great economic policies. Oh wait.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

So had anyone any reports of massive queues at filling stations yet?

Yeah, big queue at the Discount Fuels outside Newcastle West. Cheap petrol @ 114.8

Thank God for my diesal car now :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just to clear up the myth that petrol is going up 8c/litre, it's not.

The duty is going up 8c and since we like double taxation here, it's actually 8c+VAT = 9.7c/litre. Nice of the sneakey minister to highlight that wasn't it.:rolleyes:

Sorry, I know we're all depressed enough...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Jip wrote: »
    Yeah, cause they have great economic policies. Oh wait.....

lol X2 .. I'm sure Sinn Feins stance on corporation tax will really bring the high fliers to Ireland :rolleyes:

......Anyways.........

SteveC wrote: »

The duty is going up 8c and since we like double taxation here, it's actually 8c+VAT = 9.7c/litre. Nice of the sneakey minister to highlight that wasn't it.:rolleyes:

Is that fact??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Does anyone know yet if the parking levy is applied to civil servents, guards, etc??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Nearly sure that the 8c increase in inclusive of VAT. Will stand corrected thou...

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Not so good for petrol owners...I filled up today in Corrib Oil, diesel was 120.9

kenco wrote: »
    Does anyone know yet if the parking levy is applied to civil servents, guards, etc??

I wonder how they'll enforce this say my employer has parking and I get the bus or people that don't have cars how will they know if you drive to work or not? Or does the employer get hit with the 200euro levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

I think this is going to be a huge problem to enforce. How will they know how many spots there are? How will they know who uses which. What is defined as Urban? Is Sandyford Urban??

If they dont apply this to all parking spots (inc civil service) then it will be ignored by the private sector

I wonder how they'll enforce this say my employer has parking and I get the bus or people that don't have cars how will they know if you drive to work or not? Or does the employer get hit with the 200euro levy.

Never mind!
    Levy on car parking facilities provided to employees by their employers

A flat rate levy of €200 per annum will be charged on employees whose employer provides them with car parking facilities. The levy will be confined to employer provided car parking facilities situated in the main urban centres.

The estimated yield from this measure is €5 million in 2009 and €10 million in a full year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Is that fact??

It's a fact that we pay VAT on duty, yes. Same as we pay VAT on VRT. Even the tax is taxed here.
    Nearly sure that the 8c increase in inclusive of VAT. Will stand corrected thou...

It's possible I've got it wrong, I read it as an 8c increase on duty.

Nope its 8c all in
    Increase in Mineral Oil Tax on Petrol

The mineral oil tax on petrol will be increased by 8 cent per litre (including VAT) with effect from midnight on 14 October 2008.

This measure is estimated to yield €22 million in 2008, and €166 million in 2009.

Source: http://www.budget.gov.ie/2009/budgetsummary09.html

oops.
    :o

oops.
    :o

No probs, Putting the fear of god into all of us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

quote from Hammertime
    Ok calm down

8c is obviously a ****ing joke but its going to be offset by the Wednesday night decreases which will be in the region of 5c to 8c so in effect there should not be any increases at all, we will just lose the 112.9 price point that would have hit this weekend.

There is no need to panic buy today, sites SHOULD NOT put their price up at midnight, if they do they are scumbags who are robbing you, all fuel delivered to sites today is at the old price and should be sold out at the current price without any increases, so if you see a garage with a 8c incease in the morning I would suggest never going back to them again, its the only way to sort these idiots out as they are giving the fuel retailers such a bad name.

For example I am currently at 119.9 unl, I have enough fuel to last until Thursday morning at this price as I bought it before the budget increase, so I am gettign a full delivery at 5am thursday morning which will be coming to me with the Wed night wholesale reductions applied, so therefore on thursday I can still sell it for the 119.9 as the 7c or so price reduction will in effect cancel out the budget increase.

So don't be panicing, and don't buy at an inflated price between now and Friday.

Hope this helps.

ok so petrol prices might not rise as much as 8c, but what are the chances of the petrol stations using this stealthily as an excuse to leave diesel prices the same! quite high i would guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

GetAttachment.jpg

Ques are getting bigger, now back to the roundabout.

GetAttachment.jpg

Ques are getting bigger, now back to the roundabout.

LOL panic stations I took Mike65s advice and filled up last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think i wasted more petrol in the queues than if i had bought tomorrow haha:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Every station I passed had loads of cars in it, the local Tesco station had a 50 car queue (seriously) - they were backed out onto the road and around the roundabout blocking all other traffic who were just trying to get home...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Never mind!

Is it on ALL employees though? It's utterly ridiculous. This sounds very wishy washy and is the one bit of the budget I am utterly disgusted with. In my workplace we have a couple of people who commute from Navan and leave kids off at childcare. Does the govt suggest they use the bus and bring the kid on it?
    All for a measly €10m too. They could raise that by increasing the street parking rates in the city centres. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

LOL panic stations I took Mike65s advice and filled up last night.

So did I, but a titchy tank doesn't help things... (35l). Was a queue back on to the N7 slip for Topaz Kill today!

Heroditas wrote: »
    Is it on ALL employees though? It's utterly ridiculous. This sounds very wishy washy and is the one bit of the budget I am utterly disgusted with. In my workplace we have a couple of people who commute from Navan and leave kids off at childcare. Does the govt suggest they use the bus and bring the kid on it?
    All for a measly €10m too. They could raise that by increasing the street parking rates in the city centres. :rolleyes:

Even more interested to see how they'll enforce this?
    MYOB wrote: »
    So did I, but a titchy tank doesn't help things... (35l). Was a queue back on to the N7 slip for Topaz Kill today!

That sucks! know how that feels (had a 40L tank before) Sure I put 38 litres in the car last night lol, I... Gotta love the 60Litre tanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Here's a thought, the biggest providers of company parking in urban areas in Galway are:

1. Revenue Commissioners - currently pays for staff to park in the RADISSON HOTEL. :mad: :mad: You read that correctly. This means they both provide and pay for, parking, for employees. Who's going to police the ........er, police ??

2. Galway County Council - huge car park, excluded from public, smack bang in the middle of the city.

3. Galway City Council - car park within walking distance of Eyre Square.

4. NUIG - a college with currently........15k students. How many staff involved, not sure, but, say, 2000 ? All within walking distance of city centre.

Practice what you preach, that's what I say. And I'll be writing to the bodies above to see what they're going to do about it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Levy on car parking facilities provided to employees by their employers

A flat rate levy of €200 per annum will be charged on employees whose employer provides them with car parking facilities. The levy will be confined to employer provided car parking facilities situated in the main urban centres.

The estimated yield from this measure is €5 million in 2009 and €10 million in a full year.

Anyone know what the main urban centres are? I like the way they didn't say cities as that is pretty well defined already

What a load of bollox. How they will police this is anyones guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

2 things in an Irish budget are certain

The tax payer gets f*cked
    The motorist gets tripple f*cked with nuts on top

This has always been the ****tiest country to be a motorist in - its rapidly becoming the ****tiest country to live in too

Advertisement