Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget 2009

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I recently changed to a diesel and I suppose my reason for that was that I always felt the government would come down hard on petrol prices eventually but not now when a time that oil is so unstable that prices are constantly up and down! So if the price of oil shoots up is it safe to assume petrol will become dearer than diesel?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ques are getting bigger, now back to the roundabout.
    AudiChris wrote: »
    Every station I passed had loads of cars in it, the local Tesco station had a 50 car queue (seriously) - they were backed out onto the road and around the roundabout blocking all other traffic who were just trying to get home...

Starting to sound like a scene from 'war of the worlds'...:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Even more interested to see how they'll enforce this?

As am I.
    Does this mean if you happen to drive to work twice a year it costs you €200 for the pleasure?
    What about once a month, once a week?

If you get the bus once a month are you exempt?

This is Gormless's work for sure..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

SteveC wrote: »
    As am I.
    Does this mean if you happen to drive to work twice a year it costs you €200 for the pleasure?
    What about once a month, once a week?

If you get the bus once a month are you exempt?

This is Gormless's work for sure..:mad:

I can see the HR people in my place will be busy tomorrow.
    If this is the case and they'll have to charge me, I'll simply insist on working from home. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I can't understand the mass panic buying of petrol tonight.
    8c equates to about €4 in my 50 litre tank. You'd spend it sitting the queue in fumes alone :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I can't understand the mass panic buying of petrol tonight.
    8c equates to about €4 in my 50 litre tank. You'd spend it sitting the queue in fumes alone :pac:

Especially seeing as its not going to go up at the pumps anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

So if the price of oil shoots up is it safe to assume petrol will become dearer than diesel?

Station I was at this morning filling up, the unleaded was 113.9c...the diesel was 120.9c, so before any future rise, it's already more expensive.
    The queue at that station when I was coming home this evening was unusual for the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Hmmm, as someone who goes though 30 to 40 litres of petrol a week (just a little 1.4l folks), my first reaction when reading budget main points a few minutes ago was "you F***er". Now, call me cynical, but the thought that came into my head was this; a few weeks/months ago, I recall paying 132.5c a litre for petrol, since then the price has eased back, so today the same station was 117.5c a litre, with the price of oil coming back to less scary levels. So did the crafty sods in the Dept. of Finance just say "woohoo, soft target there, 8c a litre thank you v much"?

Tank empty as we speak, be interesting to see if it goes up straight away tomorrow. Of course now I'll have to leave for work earlier in morning to guard against queues!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

None of the stations I passed this morning had passed it on yet. It will be interesting - it has been said that prices of petrol/diesel were coming down anyway this week so petrol should remain roughly the same, while diesel should be lower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I think many motorists (especially derv-heads) got off quite lightly with only a 4-5% increase in road tax. I'm paying considerably less road tax than I was with my previous motor for a more powerful car.

As for those queueing at stations to panic-buy petrol - muppets. They mustn't place much value on their time to do this for one fill of petrol and will probably use up any gains in the stop-go traffic.

I saw the SIMI were on incredulous that their proposal for a scrappage scheme (for 'environmental:rolleyes:' reasons) was not considered... I've said it before and i'll say it again - in an age where we're all encouraged to 'reduce waste', keeping older cars on the road is more environmentally friendly than the manufacture of a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

pburns wrote: »
    ...in an age where we're all encouraged to 'reduce waste', keeping older cars on the road is more environmentally friendly than the manufacture of a new one.

I'll just take this opportunity to brag once again about my 1998 Volvo 940 2.3 LPT Auto Estate which I just taxed for the guts of €900. Still going strong after 10 years and 115,000 miles. I think it would be rude not to get it to 200,000 miles and then, since it is unmarked since the day I took delivery of it, it will take pride of place in my garage where it shall remain forever. This car will *never* be scrapped as long as I have anything to do with it! Btw, It looks great in car parks when parked beside all those weiner-mobiles...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

superjosh9 wrote: »
    I'll just take this opportunity to brag once again about my 1998 Volvo 940 2.3 LPT Auto Estate which I just taxed for the guts of €900. Still going strong after 10 years and 115,000 miles. I think it would be rude not to get it to 200,000 miles and then, since it is unmarked since the day I took delivery of it, it will take pride of place in my garage where it shall remain forever. This car will *never* be scrapped as long as I have anything to do with it! Btw, It looks great in car parks when parked beside all those weiner-mobiles...

Here, Here!!! I've about 10,000 to go until I reach the magical 200,000miles :)

At this stage in the economy Ill be getting something similar thats cheapm and cheerful.

Bangernomics FTW!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Hammertime wrote: »
    Especially seeing as its not going to go up at the pumps anyway.

You keep saying that, but while petrol is not going to increase immediately by the full 8c because the drop in the price of oil is going to absorb it (for the time being), the fact is that we are not seeing the drop in price that we should either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Honey-ec wrote: »
    You keep saying that, but while petrol is not going to increase immediately by the full 8c because the drop in the price of oil is going to absorb it (for the time being), the fact is that we are not seeing the drop in price that we should either.

So?

I'm merely telling people not to panic buy as there is no need to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Jip wrote: »
    Yip, me, on this thread or the one in economics, at the Texaco in Ballycoolin at 4:45 this evening, was backed out onto the main road.
    I was at top of that queue at that time, talk about small world! :D

I was empty anyway to start with, so wasn't exactly a panic buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Bit more on the radio this am about the parking levy;
    1. It will apply to the civil servents, etc
    2. It will apply to those who share or have use of a parking spot
    3. It will only apply when there is no viable alternative to the car

Its getting flakier by the minute. I cant see this in its current form holding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Benchmark Fuelcard added the 8 cent in full last night. Thank feck for the 'pay lower of price at pump or card price' get out there, as nowhere near here is yet anywhere close to the 125.27 they're asking for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

MYOB wrote: »
    Benchmark Fuelcard added the 8 cent in full last night. Thank feck for the 'pay lower of price at pump or card price' get out there, as nowhere near here is yet anywhere close to the 125.27 they're asking for!

I am so close to just fecking my fuelcard in the bin. €321 bill last month, highest it's ever been despite the fact that;

A) I didn't do any extra mileage/fills

B) the cost of petrol had been creeping down over the month.

Time to get a diesel, methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

How does anyone waste €4 sitting in a queue for 10 minutes with the engine idling, thats a serious fuel consumption issue !

But yes, on point, Government, thieving bunch of p****s. Things are bad so charge more for everything, IDIOTS. This years budget is definately a ticket to get migration going again. USA here I come :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I am so close to just fecking my fuelcard in the bin. €321 bill last month, highest it's ever been despite the fact that;

A) I didn't do any extra mileage/fills

B) the cost of petrol had been creeping down over the month.

Time to get a diesel, methinks...

I have nothing but Topaz's on my route to/from work bar a few overpriced Essos and the card is very useful in the UK but - its nowhere near a real 'good deal' here price wise anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

kenco wrote: »
    1. It will only apply when there is no viable alternative to the car
    Do you mean "It will NOT apply when there is no viable alternative to the car"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

MYOB wrote: »

I've used the card once in the last 4 months (and the price was cheaper at the pump!). Extremely poor value :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Wheresmejumper8

Anyone hear that comment that the BIK "will be revenue neutral" - how the hell are they going to manage that!? Surely if they create a lower CO2 benefit everyone will migrate towards that - unless they make the lowest band 30% which would be a disgrace!

The revenue dont have accurate CO2 data for each chassis / reg number registered before 1st January 2008 so I guess they will have to introduce a two tier system similar to Road tax?? :o

E92 wrote: »
    Thank God VRT is unchanged, until March 09 that is when I see it will be "reviewed" increased.

Hey E92 - Where did you hear this? Or is it just an opinion? I heard it mentioned a few times in the threads but cant find a definite source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The revenue dont have accurate CO2 data for each chassis / reg number registered before 1st January 2008 so I guess they will have to introduce a two tier system similar to Road tax?? :o

Why wouldn't they? I'm sure that it wouldn't be too hard for the manufacturers to supply CO2 data on Irish cars going back for the last 3 or 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

AudiChris wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they? I'm sure that it wouldn't be too hard for the manufacturers to supply CO2 data on Irish cars going back for the last 3 or 4 years.

Very easy I would think.

The UK has been using CO2 emissions data for the last number of years to calculate company car tax rates. I'm sure it wouldn't take much effort for the Revenue Commissioners to collect such data from their British counterparts or from the manufacturers themselves.

Technically it would be possible for them to get the CO2 for all old cars but the accuratcy would always be in question, and they need to tie it into the Certificate of Conformity (COC) which is a chassis specific EU document, from 1st January 2008 this figure was included on each vehicle birthcert when it is registered so they have accurate data from then onwards.

Simply from an admin point of view, I dont think they wouldnt be able to implement a CO2 based system on cars registered before 1st Jan 08. Its the same reason they adopted a tow-tier road tax system, its just too hard to administer CO2 values on the old cars.:rolleyes:

The mileage bands might suffer a change this year too I think - maybe more closer to the UK system which doesnt have bands which cause people to spend December driving around the country just to get into the next band and save a few quid!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

A little off-topic, when is the carbon budget to be announced? I know its supposed to be sometime today, but does anyone know what time?

Cheers.

Carbon budget is to be announced today at some time between 2.30 and 8.30 - Ring (01) 6184000 if you want a direct lline into the dail!

Pity its only a one way line! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

fletch wrote: »
    Do you mean "It will NOT apply when there is no viable alternative to the car"

Yes you are correct but I guess people got the drift

Advertisement