Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing a new dog - Advise needed

Options
  • 07-10-2008 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

On Saturday we adopted a new dog.
    We have had a bitch all along, she will be 3 in March

My concern is that the Millie (the doggie we have had allalong) seems put out by the new arrival

The new arrival is quite bossy and takes things from her. She gets jealous when the new dog is being petted and doesnt like when he gets too close to her

Can anyone give me any tips or advise on how to help them get along better?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Congratulations on adopting a dog!

As for them getting along, are they spayed? also, where did they meet? sometimes they get along better if they meet on neutral territory and are then brought home at the same time.

all that I can think of is to try and treat them equally all the time.

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Hi,

Congratulations on your new arrival. We have four dogs and all came at different stages. When we got our second dog we were advised to introduce them on neuteral ground as has been said. But even so there are always a few issues to sort out and it sounds as though your new dog might be trying to assert its place in your home. We always feed the dogs in order of their arrival in to the house. So first in, first to be fed, then second and so on. This is also applied to petting, putting leads on for walks etc. Your first dog is probably feeling a little threatened and is looking for some reasurrance. So maybe give it loads of love and then give the new dog the same dose of affection, but put your first dog first so she knows she's still important. It normally takes a few days at least for the dust to settle and for your dog to learn to share your attentions.

I'm not a professional or anything, so you may get different advice from someone else, but this seems to have worked for us. Perhaps the other dog is naturally a bit more dominant and is used to getting its own way. You might need to intervene if the second dog is bullying the first so that it realises you won't tolerate the behaviour. There are a few people on here far more qualified to give you advice, but I'm just sharing my experience.
    Hope this helps and the best of luck. It should be fine in a few days.

Advertisement