Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod from US on ebay

Options
  • 07-10-2008 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Can anyone advice me on this. Looking up ebay i can get a 120 gig ipod for aprox €60 less for what they are retailing in Ireland, this includes paying $30 for postage. Any dos or donts when it comes to this? I know about looking at seller feedback etc... any catch to this seemingly easy way to save 60 bucks??!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

sma2008 wrote: »
    Can anyone advice me on this. Looking up ebay i can get a 120 gig ipod for aprox €60 less for what they are retailing in Ireland, this includes paying $30 for postage. Any dos or donts when it comes to this? I know about looking at seller feedback etc... any catch to this seemingly easy way to save 60 bucks??!

VAT & Duty might be added on to your price by customs & excise on it's entry to the country which might actually ad more than the 60 you are saving on to the price. Also, if it breaks you won't have half an easy a time bringing it back to get it fixed - you will have to send it to the states if anything goes wrong everytime; also if you buy an ipod in either argos or the 02 shops in ireland you can pay about an extra 100 for 3 years insurance so if anything goes wrong with it u can get it fixed free (like the battery dying which ipods are literally famous for). I use ebay a lot myself, but for an expensive modern item like an Ipod that could have something wrong with it I would stick with a shop in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

i recently bought an ipod touch in the states over €120 cheaper than buying it here!! iv had no problems id defo recommened getting it in the states!i got mine from either target or walmart cant remember. iv family living over there so they picked it up for me.:D ul have no prob ...GO For it!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

jim o doom wrote: »
    Also, if it breaks you won't have half an easy a time bringing it back to get it fixed - you will have to send it to the states if anything goes wrong everytime;

Nope, you wont have to do this, if it breaks within it's one year warranty you contact apple and arrange repairs/arrange to bring it to an apple service area

Fair enough about the service issue, now all he has to worry about is customs & excise & 21% VAT which can be applied by customs and excise on entry to the state.

Of course he could ask the seller to post the item as a "gift" but that's illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sma2008

i reckon my best bet is to get someone going to US to pick one up for me, and just pretend it's old going through customs?
    So anyone planning a trip to the States?

Advertisement