Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oct surprise to boost McCain? Russian military in Iceland!!

Options
  • 07-10-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

What could possibly swing the pendulum back in favour of mcCain:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/Story?id=5968910&page=3

Given that he is percieved stronger (wrongly IMO) on foreign policy than Obama, could this be his salvation??:

Russia to bail out Icelandic banks(below) - in return for occupying old US military bases on the island(not yet confirmed)!!!!!!!

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssBanks/idUSL727084220081007

I got the military base info from the Daily Politics on BBC2 - Anybody confirm??

If it is true the threat of the russians on another island relatively close to North America can only creat fear in the US, with parrallels to Cuba being all too obvious - Even if this is all rumor and speculation it could easily have repercussions for November

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Hmmm.

Poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Interesting, though where's the bit that it says the loan is in return for occupying a military base?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

Interesting, though where's the bit that it says the loan is in return for occupying a military base?

can't find it anywhere online, like i said saw it on BBC2 reference to russian airforce permitted to use old US cold war era base.

Could easily be true, russian posturing to try get the US to backtrack anti-missile defences in poland.. why didnt US & EU step in for Iceland? :confused: Too weak to protect our allies??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

I wonder if can you see Iceland from Alaska ? in which case I think we know which expert should be dealing with this ......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Iceland is a key member of NATO, no ruskies under the bed there!

• Advertisement

Clutching at straws:

http://icelandweatherreport.com/2008/10/as-the-russians-come-riding-on-their-white-steed.html
    So in the words of our Prime Minister(icelands), and I quote:

“In such circumstances, one has to look for new friends.”

Now, far be it from me to look a gift horse in the mouth, but since the extension of this loan has been approved by Mr Putin himself, something tells me the Russians are sidling up to us for a very specific reason. See, Iceland has been a strategic point for the two superpowers for years. During the cold war, this country was a major base for the US [as part of NATO] in its efforts to keep close tabs on Russia, as demonstrated by the US military base that was operated here until - oh - two years ago, when the US government unilaterally decided to pull its troops out of Iceland, as the Russians were no longer considered a threat.

Well, as most of us know, this situation has changed drastically in the last few months. A new cold war may be brewing, and - oops! - the US has relinquished its strategic base in Iceland.

To summarize: a] The US pissed off Icelandic authorities two years ago, when they unilaterally pulled their military out of Iceland, with the accompanying job losses and whatnot.* b] The US pissed off Iceland a few weeks ago when they purposely left them out of a currency swap agreement. c] Iceland has gone looking for new friends. d] Russia is Iceland’s new best friend.

closest i could find, just commentary, but obama be aware if the story has any meat at all it will be used as a stick to beat him with

Dyflin wrote: »
    Iceland is a key member of NATO, no ruskies under the bed there!

nothing like an woman Ally scorned, well if the US has scorned Iceland it seems she's jumped into bed with his enemy?!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They just received a loan from Russia. being a part of NATO it would be a big no no for them to allow Russian forces to occupy bases there. I thinks its a business move, not a political one.

edit: this is all I found, it may explain where the rumour originates
    Over at the Spectator Coffee House, Andrew Neil has reported that Iceland “may look kindly” on Russian requests to use naval facilities on the island in return for a multi-billion pound injection of capital to help Iceland stave off bankruptcy.

Tom Braithwaite, our man in Reykjavik, has just put the claim to an Icelandic official, who appears as shocked by the story as we were.

“We are a founding member of Nato,” he said. “The prime minister categorically denies any such deal with Russia.”
    http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/2008/10/iceland-denies-base-offer-to-russia/

this looks to be where BBC got its information: http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2203316/coffee-house-exclusive-what-the-russians-want-in-return-for-bailing-out-iceland.thtml

either way, for wanting $6 billion I think they could find this loan from at least one NATO ally besides resorting to russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Dont see any reason why Russia couldnt use Icelandic facilities if they and Iceland wanted - NATO isnt anti-Russia is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The first NATO Secretary General Lord Ismay famously stated the organization's goal was "to keep the Russians out, the Americans in, and the Germans down".

wikipedia.

• Advertisement

Yeah NATO sure flexed its muscles during the Georgia conflict, only a few months before there was talk of them joining...

NATO was a club where other countries hung around with the USA cos it was the biggest Mo-Fo in town, for protection from the evil commies...

today america is a blind fat man wandering aimlessly and the world is resolving itself into multipolar regions... and if europe doesnt figure out some way to get over its little identity crisis and stand up for itself we'll only have ourselves to blame..

Nato is a cold-war institution and without the presence of an obvious common enemy it is impotent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I thought NATO had outgrown that original mission with the end of the Cold War? They certainly claimed as much.
    if europe doesnt figure out some way to get over its little identity crisis and stand up for itself we'll only have ourselves to blame..

The united militaries of the EU cant even find enough helicopters for a single peace keeping mission. They had to borrow them from the Russians. NATO [ i.e. the US] is the only credible defence strategy Europe has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

BenjAii wrote: »
    I wonder if can you see Iceland from Alaska ? in which case I think we know which expert should be dealing with this ......

Betcha' could, with Sarah Palin's glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

reminds me of that tom clancy book red storm rising http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Storm_Rising
    where the russkys gain the upper hand by taking over iceland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Didn't Iceland also ask America for a loan within the last 3 weeks and got snubbed off. Fair play to the Icelanders they now have the Russians nicely located half way between Europe and North America, reminds me a bit of the video games Total Annihilation or Command and Conquer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Soon we will all be able to see Russia from where we live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Craft25 wrote: »
    If it is true the threat of the russians on another island relatively close to North America can only creat fear in the US, with parrallels to Cuba being all too obvious - Even if this is all rumor and speculation it could easily have repercussions for November

Relatively close? As in, as close as Ireland is to the US?

Cuba is relatively close. Like, Palin-close.

Advertisement