Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whirring/whistling noise

Options
  • 07-10-2008 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I have a feeling my little run around is starting to eventually give out a small bit. There seems to be a sort of low whirring noise coming from the engine when I am excellerating. In fairness it owes me absolutely nothing and as it isn't worth very much I don't think it would be worth the hassle putting money into it.

In your learned opinions, is this the start of something else? It seems to be driving fine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whiring noise, not a resonance? It could be something working loose.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

OP you'll get better answers if you include the make, model, engine type and year of the car.

Initial guesses would be a work timing belt tensioner, worn alternator, water pump etc.
    If its a diesel then the turbo could be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Ferris wrote: »
    If its a diesel then the turbo could be gone.

OP said it's driving OK, he'd notice if the turbo wasn't turboing.

I'll guess it's the fanbelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Could be the altenator, happened my run around with the floods

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Have this in the avensis, had it looked at by 3 garages and nobody could trace the problem. The main dealer thinks its the tyres! Saying that, a friend who drives a ford mondeo commented he has the same issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Thanks posters.

Deffo not turbo. It's a run down 98 punto. I've used it as a second car for the past 4 yrs. Owes me nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It'd probably cost you more than the car is worth to have a mechanic look at it. So just drive it till it drops would be my advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

i am not a mechanic & dont know the set up on the car in question

but it could be something fairly simple

it could be the alternator or water pump if possible take off the drive belt
    start the car for a minute & rev up see if the noise is still there

with belt off & ENGINE OFF check & rotate the pulleys

sound like the end bearing in the alternator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Wheel Bearing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

you dont have a Roger Whittaker tape in the car?

sorry couldnt resist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

hawker wrote: »
    Thanks posters.

Deffo not turbo. It's a run down 98 punto. I've used it as a second car for the past 4 yrs. Owes me nothing.

When was the timing belt last done?

The brother had the same car, and the timing belt tensioner went on it. Check the fanbelt as the other guys have said and if that ain't it then look to the t-belt tensioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Thanks for all the help people Much appreciated. Will check it all out and take out the Roger Whittaker tape. And then drive it till it drops.

Advertisement