Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaggia parts

• 07-10-2008 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where to get Gaggia classic parts? I've had a look and only found partsguru in the US but I'm sure shipping wouldn't be cheap.

I'm after a water inlet valve (incorporating the OPV) and the pump elbow so I can replace these bits in my evolution for improved coffee.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

Kenilworth Electrical in Harolds Cross. I got a steam valve for a Gaggia Coffee Deluxe in there a couple of weeks ago. They are the official (domestic line) Gaggia servicers in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Depending on your location, online from the UK might be another option:
    http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/coffee-machine-spares.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Dero, cheers I'll give them a shout.

Gran Hermano, I'm afraid that HD don't have the parts I'm looking for.

Cheers for that Dero. They have the parts I'm looking for in stock.

No problem, you're welcome. :-)
    What you are doing sounds interesting. I presume you are adding adjustable OPV goodness to your Evolution. I have been wondering lately if that is doable with the Coffee Deluxe. Then I got to thinking whether it is possible to incrementally upgrade the Coffee Deluxe to Classic spec? Basically, adding the adjustable OPV, the 3-way solenoid valve and blocking the then unneeded outlet in the steam valve. I'm sure there's more to it than that, bit it might be an interesting project. What weighs against it is that the Classic can actually be got for a decent price these days, so I'd probably be better off getting a Classic and starting there with the further mods.

As a modding related aside, I just the other day modded the MDF to be stepless. Haven't actually had to adjust the grind yet, but at least it seems to be holding steady...

• Advertisement

Adjustable OPV goodness is exactly what I'm after.

Having had a quick look at this I think it's doable on your machine alright.

I'm not sure about adding the 3-way solenoid but the OPV is easily enough achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Dero wrote: »
    No problem, you're welcome. :-)
    What you are doing sounds interesting. I presume you are adding adjustable OPV goodness to your Evolution. I have been wondering lately if that is doable with the Coffee Deluxe. Then I got to thinking whether it is possible to incrementally upgrade the Coffee Deluxe to Classic spec? Basically, adding the adjustable OPV, the 3-way solenoid valve and blocking the then unneeded outlet in the steam valve. I'm sure there's more to it than that, bit it might be an interesting project. What weighs against it is that the Classic can actually be got for a decent price these days, so I'd probably be better off getting a Classic and starting there with the further mods.

As a modding related aside, I just the other day modded the MDF to be stepless. Haven't actually had to adjust the grind yet, but at least it seems to be holding steady...

My understanding is that the Coffee Deluxe IS a Classic in a cheap dress. The internals are identical.

Yeah, that's my understanding too. The only thing I'm unsure about wrt the 3-way is the wiring. I wonder are there any alectrical/electronic differences between the Coffee & the Classic that might make it more trouble than it's worth.

Luckily, my parents next door have a Gaggia Baby, which seems to be almost identical to the Classic internally (with the interesting exception that the OPV can actually be adjusted without opening the case), so I'll have to root around in there and see what's what.

I think it has a 3-way. The instructions for the PID had photo's of the Coffee and the Classic. They were identical except for wire colour and the switches.

If it's the same as the classic then you should already have an adjustable OPV too, no?

• Advertisement

Also having had a good look at the steam valve I don't think there's any need to block the additional point on it.

Basically what's inside is a little rubber ball which seems to allow stuff to pass through until the system becomes pressurised (i.e. the pump is on) and this causes the rubber ball to block that opening.

I know for a fact that the Coffee Deluxe has no 3-way solenoid valve, and while it has an OPV of sorts, it is not the same as the Classic, and does not seem to have the same impact on the brew pressure (though with out a 3-way, measuring the actual pressure is not a practical option). I know these things because I have opened the machine several times in search of the OPV, and I have Googled the bejesus out of it. :(

Well if, as I suspect from looking at the parts diagram, it's similar to the evolution then the OPV is a safety valve which is unadjustable, set to quite a high pressure and only really there to prevent the pump blowing up in the case of total blockage. Hence I'm looking to purchase a proper OPV.

Sorry if I'm opening old wounds!

DSCN1462-1.jpg

The brass nut at the bright green arrow is the OPV. I can check the PID manual at home later to be sure, but if your Coffee looks like this, then you have one.

It could be that the euro one and the american one are different. It could be that I'm going mad and don;t know what I'm talking about. It could be that I need a holiday.

No, the Coffee Deluxe is different. I'll post a pic tomorrow. It has a T piece coming off the pump. One end goes to the boiler inlet, and the other (which has the safety valve) is a return to the tank.

OK - my bad. Sorry about that.

Dero wrote: »
    No, the Coffee Deluxe is different. I'll post a pic tomorrow. It has a T piece coming off the pump. One end goes to the boiler inlet, and the other (which has the safety valve) is a return to the tank.
    So this diagram is correct? In this case you'd be looking at changing part 45 with the classic valve incorporating the OPV.

Yep, that diagram is correct. I'd also need a return tube to go from the OPV back to the tank. From looking at the parts list for the Coffee & Classic together, it seems that adding a 3-way to the Coffee is a non-starter.

I think what I will do is get myself a Classic, adjust the OPV, add a PID & replace the wand with the Silvia one.

I've already replaced the wand on the evolution with the silvia one and that was a huge improvement.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the water inlet valve with the OPV one. It's a mod that will set me back less than €50 including some tubing and should make for much improved shots from the machine.

I'm not that bothered about a 3-way and can easily live without it seeing as all I have to do is wait a fraction longer before removing the portafilter.

Still much cheaper than shelling out for a classic!

Well damn it anyway. Turns out that he doesn't stock the part I need cos, in his words, "they don't go". He thought it was the solenoid I was after. He's not keen on getting it either as it would have to come from Italy and would "take forever".

It's looking like partsguru is the only option despite shipping being a bit on the high side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement