Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Druid-The Cripple of Inishmaan

Options
  • 07-10-2008 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Saw it last night.

Questions anyone? Lots of questions.

Choosing the script? Purely commercial reasons, it is not a good script.

Casting? There was one member of the cast who didn't seem to know how to project. Didn't know why they were cast in the first place (I suppose prestige and previous acting credits come before talent these days).

Comedy? This is how it is advertised, yet the dark and depressing set/costume/everything! seem to say otherwise. Waiting 5 minutes every time a scene had to be changed. Production can be summed up with the words 'plain old'.

Direction? Most of the problems all come down to direction.

It seems like the company decided on a mass tour (and the glory that comes with it) over a good show. When will we see posters declaring a McDonagh cycle? 'All the works of McDonagh performed in one day'...the highlight of not only...

There's nothing new here. If you want plain old go and see it, otherwise use your festival money on something else.

The McDonagh pop band wagon has reached its final stop, can all those who are still desperately clinging to it please get off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭redcrew

I love this play. It is a brilliantly written comedy with both cheap gags as well as really dark and clever moments that make you laugh twice as hard - after you've let yourself indulge.

I think McDonagh is equally cursed and blessed in the talent department but that's usual of younger writers. Cripple is a fun play that has a serious side as well as the humour. Something like Lieutenant of Inishmore isn't a patch on it however and this is where McDonagh has his pitfalls.

Firstly - to iliktheatre - I also like theatre and I think you need to leave your feelings about your script at the door, you did choose to pay to see it and thus have to accept it for what it is.

Secondly, I agree with most of what you are saying. In my humble opinion I think that it was miscast - although I thought Aaron Monaghan was the standout cast member and although he was far too old for the role was the best cast.

I agree with the disappointing nature of the direction. There is far more in the script that was gotten out of it and I think this can betray the play more often than people think.

I was also majorly disappointed with the set. I'd imagine a lot of money went into the play but it failed in its basic job. The 'wonderfully' unfolding shop back wall was moved to the side and left for Johnnypateen to walk past when he's supposed to be on the beach - why unfold the set when he still walks past the peas and sweeties?!

I could go on with further criticism but what's the point, it's clear I have many faults with the production.

Finally, phew, I don't think theatre companies should stop producing good plays. I don't think there's enough quality new work being written but am glad there are companies dedicated to finding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 iliketheatre

redcrew wrote: »
    Firstly - to iliktheatre - I also like theatre and I think you need to leave your feelings about your script at the door, you did choose to pay to see it and thus have to accept it for what it is.

I accept your point, I should have made myself clear-Druid have already produced three McDonagh works, I question why they chose to do yet another McDonagh play.
    redcrew wrote: »
    Secondly, I agree with most of what you are saying. In my humble opinion I think that it was miscast - although I thought Aaron Monaghan was the standout cast member and although he was far too old for the role was the best cast.

Agreed. However he is too old, and should not have been cast. I thought Dearbhla Molloy stood out. She worked well with Marie Mullen.

And on direction and set: yes and yes.

There were just too many problems with this production, considering its large budget it is a huge dissapointment.

Not sure about your comment about new work, this play isn't new. I do agree however that Druid seem committed to new work in general.

Finally, again: Plain old, nothing new, boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭redcrew

Probably wasn't clear enough on the new play issue...my point was that I don't think people should stop doing older plays if they are good enough.

I like new work and the concept of it but I do see a lot of sub-standard new work produced just for the sake of it. We should encourage workshopping new writing more, and especially getting a public reaction to it, so that when full productions are underway there should be some form of quality control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 festival lover

Have you guys gotten to see "Its ony the end of the world"??
    its the Colombian prduction that is on at the moment out in the Pavilion Theatre in Dun Laoighre....
    This is something that is really beautiful. the set is minimalist really getting you to focus on the characters and its exploration into the
    subject of Columbian, and on a whole Latin American society, is dealt with delicatly, poignantly and humorously in parts.

would strongly recommend it....

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

I'm going to see it tomorrow(got an unwanted ticket from a friend). I saw Lieutenant of Inishmore a few years ago and thought it was awful

Iliketheatre - I hope you caught Waves & Metamorphosis. I'm kicking myself for missing Black Watch, it looks like I'll never get to see it now, since one of the company told me they were going to New York and then that was it.

Anyone gone to see Cat on a Hot Tin Roof ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 iliketheatre

I'm going to see it tomorrow(got an unwanted ticket from a friend). I saw Lieutenant of Inishmore a few years ago and thought it was awful

Iliketheatre - I hope you caught Waves & Metamorphosis. I'm kicking myself for missing Black Watch, it looks like I'll never get to see it now, since one of the company told me they were going to New York and then that was it.

Anyone gone to see Cat on a Hot Tin Roof ?

Didn't see them, I did see Black Watch and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Stookan

I TOTALLY DISAGREE!! I drove two and a half hours to see this play tonight and I would go again tomorrow night if I had the chance!!
    Aaron Monaghan may not be 18 but you cannot say that he wasnt perfect for the role!! And he is acting, he doesnt need to be 18 if he is a good enough actor he can pull it off thats the whole idea of acting!! Just like he makes you believe he is a real cripple!!! The energy he has and the way he limps across the stage was fantastic! The way he told his story Babby Bobby after returning was probably the best piece of acting I have ever seen!!! The script is fantastic I have read most of Mc Donaghs work but the only professional production I have seen was this one! I didnt see anyone on stage who was "miscast"!! I found it very funny but it had dark moments which made the intensity of the play! As for direction everyone has there interpretations and I thought this was well played! Being part of theatre groups I can see where they went with set as I build sets aswel as my trade is cabinetmaking maybe a curtain draped over the shelves would have helped but all in all it worked. Considering it has to adapt to different theatres and travel so much I guess they were keeping it minimal. The only problems I have which I am sure neither of the two of ye noticed is one the sheets of paper that "The Man Of Aran" was written on were modern looking A4 computer paper sheets? A bit of coffee powder would have helped. And the door latch was so obviously modern as it was made from a mould and not hand made looking the way a blacksmith would have made it!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

I never replied after seeing it. I really enjoyed it, to my surprise. Acting was excellent (A. Monaghan is excellent - I saw him in the Walworth Farce and ever since then I've always looked out for him), but I think the script, which was sending up the traditional Irish play in places, could be produced badly if in the wrong hands. Which makes me wonder would the Lieutenant .. have been a decent play if I'd seen a Druid production ( I saw it in England a few years ago.)

Having said all that, there's no way i'd go to see The Cripple.. a second time (as with most plays), but glad you enjoyed it Stookan.

Advertisement