Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New GATSO Van up at Airside!

Options
  • 07-10-2008 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Just to let you know if you haven't already - there's a new GATSO van parked up on the footpath beside Airside Motor Park at Airside Opel.

It's on the strech between Holywell in Swords and Airside the limit is 60Km/h.

It's an easy one to miss. I haven't seen it there before but it was there last Friday evening and again this morning - so watch out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

White one on the Navan Rd at the old racecourse this morning.. very easy to spot IMO! Usually they're after Esso heading for the M50 but today it was at the slip for the new bridge.

Two big Garda logos, a speed camera sign on the side of it.. a bit more obvious than the old Transits anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Anybody got a photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

MarkN wrote: »
    White one on the Navan Rd at the old racecourse this morning.. very easy to spot IMO! Usually they're after Esso heading for the M50 but today it was at the slip for the new bridge.

Two big Garda logos, a speed camera sign on the side of it.. a bit more obvious than the old Transits anyway.

They've no logos on the back doors judging by the six one news a week or 2 ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Well this one had. Perhaps they have been added since the news.. just an idea! ;)

Two of these were high up on the back doors.

logo.gif

Well this one had. Perhaps they have been added since the news.. just an idea! ;)

Two of these were high up on the back doors.

logo.gif

Cheers for that did it have any reflective strips on it or do they not want to make it TO noticeable. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

The van at Airside had no markings on it what so ever apart from the usual tell tale sign of the black window at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Gatso's must be noticable. A very old EU law said that they were to be used as a deterent instead of a money printing business so they must be visible.

That is why Gatso cameras cannot be hidden inside fake bushes.

The problem is with vans, they are slightly exempt from the law governing signage. Whereby a Gatso camera must have ample signage informing you of its impending location a mobile van does not because it is mobile.

Did you know that if your local council want to erect a speed camera(permanent) they must apply for planning permission from themselves thereby warranting an ad in the paper. You can actually OBJECT to it. LOL

Law is funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Gatso's must be noticable. A very old EU law said that they were to be used as a deterent instead of a money printing business so they must be visible.

EU Law also allows free movement of goods and services, yet Ireland manages to exempt cars and somehow gets fully away with it and treat it's citizens like black sheep, they then wonder why we voted no to Lisbon :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Law is funny!

But,
    there is nothing funny about this :mad:
    They are meant to save lives........like is it a accident blackspot up in and around airside?
    or just a good spot to shoot fish in a barrell?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes these Gatso vans will make some load of cash, if worked proper I could see them paying for themselves and the lads manning them in a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

If you get caught speeding on that stretch its easy. Go to court and tell the judge that you were not made aware (as is your legal right) that there was a speed trap in operation. HOw many accidents have been caused due to speeding on that road? Have they a reason for the money trap to be set up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

TBH

soli.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

bbability wrote: »
    If you get caught speeding on that stretch its easy. Go to court and tell the judge that you were not made aware (as is your legal right) that there was a speed trap in operation. HOw many accidents have been caused due to speeding on that road? Have they a reason for the money trap to be set up there?

The reason is to shoot fish in a barrell. Simple As.

You dont see traffic wardens standing in the middle of fields. They are right where the action is. Same thing with the Gatso's.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness, they posted most of the locations on the interweb recently so you shouldn't be surprised!!!!
    Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    EU Law also allows free movement of goods and services, yet Ireland manages to exempt cars and somehow gets fully away with it and treat it's citizens like black sheep, they then wonder why we voted no to Lisbon
    Not this crap again!
    VRT doesn't stop the free movement of goods.
    All EU countries can set their own tax rates (how fecked would we be if we didn't have the low corporation tax?).
    The black sheep voted for the government!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

That is why Gatso cameras cannot be hidden inside fake bushes.

Someone is bending rules I guess. Last Xmas, 7am Sunday morning, N4 just inside the M50 ring, Kilmainham bound, there was a gatso van, with a load of Xmas trees covering half the van.

Does those vans have someone inside or do that operate automatically?

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Someone is bending rules I guess. Last Xmas, 7am Sunday morning, N4 just inside the M50 ring, Kilmainham bound, there was a gatso van, with a load of Xmas trees covering half the van.

Does those vans have someone inside or do that operate automatically?

It Depends, Some are auto (RADAR) some are Laser operated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I noticed that myself yesterday. It was kind of around the bend on the new slip road up to the trainstation, tricky enough to spot from the begining of the road. I'd say it'll get quite a few people alright that one.

HungryJoey wrote: »
    I noticed that myself yesterday. It was kind of around the bend on the new slip road up to the trainstation, tricky enough to spot from the begining of the road. I'd say it'll get quite a few people alright that one.

We have no doubt on that front! cheers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Speedy007

Coming off that Holywell roundabout you'd only just about get up to 60 before the Opel garage, I wouldn't say its an ideal spot to catch many speeders. Plus that route is widely used as a test drive for the most of the dealers in Airside. Has anyone passing by there noticed 4 or 5 panes of glass shattered in Opel recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭trivium

tis not a gatso van at all in airside,just a black sticker placed on the back of the door of the Renault van just beside the Renault garage, perhaps some sort of marketing ploy that people will slow down and see all the "fantastic cars on display :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

trivium wrote: »
    tis not a gatso van at all in airside,just a black sticker placed on the back of the door of the Renault van just beside the Renault garage, perhaps some sort of marketing ploy that people will slow down and see all the "fantastic cars on display :D

Not a renault , its an opal van . I stopped and took a look at it yesterday .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Speedy007 wrote: »
    Has anyone passing by there noticed 4 or 5 panes of glass shattered in Opel recently?
    Only 2 of those was me, I swear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

There has been one parked outside the new cinema in Naas at the entrance to the Donnelly Mirrors over the last few days.

Advertisement