Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrap steel, how much is it worth?

• 07-10-2008 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, Someone ofter to take a lorry load of scrap steel from the farm by us, and pay us €50 for it. Just the usual old sheets/gates etc, I'd say 95% steel/iron. Does it fetch much these days and should I be looking for more than €50 for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hi, Someone ofter to take a lorry load of scrap steel from the farm by us, and pay us €50 for it. Just the usual old sheets/gates etc, I'd say 95% steel/iron. Does it fetch much these days and should I be looking for more than €50 for it?

i know in north leinster , scrap is currently making from around 50 euro a tonne to 80 euro a tonne , i know someone who got 160 euro a tonne back in july but it has fallen since , its worth a minimum of 50 euro a tonne

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

Do they take galvanised sheeting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

gerardk55 wrote: »
    Do they take galvanised sheeting?

off course , they will take virtually anything that is made of metal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

how sad reading this...
    after few phone calls today i have find out that you have to pay these days if you want to bring some iron to scrapyard... whole scrap iron marked crashed out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Aparrently the foundries were paying up to €260 a tonne earlier in the summer but due to a fall in demand they are all loaded up.. they can only mix a certain % of scrap into the mix..
    WAs told yesterday that price is down below €100 now so the price collected must be poor...

• Advertisement

Any news about this scrap iron, steel in these days? Do anyone know actual prices and places who are buying these now?

Anybody with fresh update on prices for iron\steel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

what part of the country you in , we have a guy collects it

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

I was offered 50 euro a tonne for it a week ago. They were also looking for old batteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

we took a load of old galvanize sheeting and a few scrap gates to Hegharty's in limerick

€60 per ton delivered

• Advertisement

I am in limerick... I dont have large quantities at this moment but it is funny to drive to recycling centre to dispose of iron/steel and pay for doing so when you can actually get paid for it... I think that I will save all and try hegartys. 60e per ton is far cry from price say 2 years ago... Thanks gentlemans for info... whelan1 where are you based and what is price of that your guy is paying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

I know of someone who took some scrap metal into Derry lately and got approx £100 stg a ton for it.Prices are on the increase again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

kfk wrote: »
    I was offered 50 euro a tonne for it a week ago. They were also looking for old batteries.

Old Batteries are worth €8 to €10, I wouldnt thrust a scrapyards weighbridge either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Be careful who you sell it to I had a travler take 800 euro worth of steel and went for a cup of tea last I saw of him.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭westlander

We paid a guy to collect our scrap lol. Silly us!
    Does the Galway metal Company in oranmore pay you for scrap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

i have a good few old batteries lieing around the place at home. who would i go to to get rid of these and maybe get a few euros? i am in north leinster/dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

viztopia wrote: »
    i have a good few old batteries lieing around the place at home. who would i go to to get rid of these and maybe get a few euros? i am in north leinster/dublin

The civic recycling centres take batteries. Check your local one, I know that Ballymount does. No chance of making any money off them as they are hazardous waste and cost money to treat, a few years ago there may have been money for the lead but I doubt that you would have gotten any.

Advertisement