Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCU Saints recruiting

• 07-10-2008 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭

DCU Saints American Football club (www.dcusaints.com) is now recruiting for the coming season. Training will begin on Sunday at 11am-2pm at DCU sports grounds. We train every Sunday and play in the full contact Irish league. We're the closest ground to the city for training and we're well used to training people up to the standard required as we have a large number of new players every year. Membership is open to everyone so you don't have to be a student to join and we're the only club that allows you rent your gear so you can see how much you like it.
    This'll give you a flavour of what we're about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYoi8suasUI (takes a minute to get going properly cos of the music!!)

We made the playoffs last year and want to go one step further this year and we want you to help us do it. So far the team has produced 8 Irish internationals in just three years. The league has a fairly high standard, with a number of players with US college experience and one who played NFL Europe. A number of players have also been offered semi-pro or played semi-pro in Britain and Germany. The sport is growing rapidly and this year we will for the first time have a development team which will play 8-a-side full contact so rookies who don't make the starting lineup for the senior team will still see plenty of game time. we also have links to two flag football teams so there's something for everyone. The team has a great atmosphere with numerous social events organised throughout the year so if you want to give it a try drop me a pm or turn up on Sunday morning. It would be beneficial for us though to get your name, height, weight, age and details of other sports you've played before if you're interested in trying it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Most likely be signing up tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Would actually love to take up football but unfortunately rugby commitments won't allow me to do so. Sorry for hijacking but is there games played in the the summer months? ie May-July/August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Season starts around march if i remember correctly and the shamrock bowl is usually played in august

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Jeez i really wish there was something in Waterford, Dublin is just too far for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Will, see you Sunday.
    Lightning Bolt, come down when you can, even if it's in the new year. You're more than welcome. I'm an assistant coach and I'll work with you to help you adjust, if you've played rugby you've got an immediate advantage but there'll still be a lot of stuff to learn. Most of the games are played Sunday afternoons between April and July. The final's in August
    Kryogen, if you've got a car you should drive down to Cork to train with the Admirals. Great bunch of guys. There's a guy in Sligo who used to drive to Dublin every Sunday to train, we've had guys who've come from Drogheda and past Bray to train with us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭TITAN #1

KRYOGEN, the South East Strongbows are a flag team based in the Waterford area.
    Not sure what they are doing this year though.

Good point Titan. I only think in terms of kitted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

is there a team near maynooth?

there was plans for one but it never came to pass. Dublin Dragons are probably closest to you Seahawk, not sure if they're playing 8 a side or 11 a side this year though (last year they played 8s but they had a big squad)

is there an eight a side league in ireland as well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

kryogen wrote: »
    Jeez i really wish there was something in Waterford, Dublin is just too far for me

Try the South East Strongbows. Here's a link to their Webpage. As far as I remember they usally played friendlies with various teams but I'm not sure what they are doing at the moment

is there an eight a side league in ireland as well?

Yep - DV8s it's called and it's regarded as a development league so there's a limit to the number of experienced players on each team. This year six teams competed in it and there should be at least that number again. More details here:
    http://www.irish-american-football.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drogman

jdivision wrote: »
    DCU Saints American Football club (www.dcusaints.com) is now recruiting for the coming season. Training will begin on Sunday at 11am-2pm at DCU sports grounds. We train every Sunday and play in the full contact Irish league. We're the closest ground to the city for training and we're well used to training people up to the standard required as we have a large number of new players every year. Membership is open to everyone so you don't have to be a student to join and we're the only club that allows you rent your gear so you can see how much you like it.
    This'll give you a flavour of what we're about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYoi8suasUI (takes a minute to get going properly cos of the music!!)

We made the playoffs last year and want to go one step further this year and we want you to help us do it. So far the team has produced 8 Irish internationals in just three years. The league has a fairly high standard, with a number of players with US college experience and one who played NFL Europe. A number of players have also been offered semi-pro or played semi-pro in Britain and Germany. The sport is growing rapidly and this year we will for the first time have a development team which will play 8-a-side full contact so rookies who don't make the starting lineup for the senior team will still see plenty of game time. we also have links to two flag football teams so there's something for everyone. The team has a great atmosphere with numerous social events organised throughout the year so if you want to give it a try drop me a pm or turn up on Sunday morning. It would be beneficial for us though to get your name, height, weight, age and details of other sports you've played before if you're interested in trying it.

I was actually thinking a lot about this over the past few months. I've had it in my head that I want to try this game out as I've been playing football and a little bit of rugby for years now and grown bored of those sports, playing wise anyway. And seeing as DCU is handy to get to from Drogheda where I live then it would be the best option available.

I probably won't be available for at least 3 weeks or so but would be very much interested in getting involved one way or another.

I actually went to see a game down in ALSAA earlier this year and even though there was a hurricane blowing, I was impressed by the quality of the teams on show. Actually I think the DCU Saints were playing that day and won?? They're in black right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Drogman wrote: »
    I was actually thinking a lot about this over the past few months. I've had it in my head that I want to try this game out as I've been playing football and a little bit of rugby for years now and grown bored of those sports, playing wise anyway. And seeing as DCU is handy to get to from Drogheda where I live then it would be the best option available.

I probably won't be available for at least 3 weeks or so but would be very much interested in getting involved one way or another.

I actually went to see a game down in ALSAA earlier this year and even though there was a hurricane blowing, I was impressed by the quality of the teams on show. Actually I think the DCU Saints were playing that day and won?? They're in black right?

Dublin Rebels are in black they also play in Santry in sportslink.

Sorry,but have to ask,is the eight a side full contact and full size pitch? If not then what are the differences between that and 11a side.

They're in black right?
    No problem Drogman, be good to see you down. The Rebels were wearing black but they beat us up pretty bad that day :(

Seahawk, 8s is full contact with a smaller pitch, no punting and kicking and no blocking below the waist from what I remember. Each team can only have two players with more than two years experience on the pitch at any one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

jdivision wrote: »
    Lightning Bolt, come down when you can, even if it's in the new year. You're more than welcome. I'm an assistant coach and I'll work with you to help you adjust, if you've played rugby you've got an immediate advantage but there'll still be a lot of stuff to learn. Most of the games are played Sunday afternoons between April and July. The final's in August

I'll do my best, rugby is done come the end of april and I'll be studying for my masters finals in may so will make the effort to get involved. I've played CFL for a bit on my travels, well it was flag:D anyway, we usually have a 3 week break for the 6 nations games so I may even show up then, would show up for the november break but my ankle is crocked right now and it needs a bit of additional rest to fully heal, I came back too early the first time:rolleyes:

Best of luck with the recruiting man

No worries, a lot of guys in the league don't lift and rely on bulk but if I had to give you any advice it'd be that power lifting, squatting, lunging and dumbbell bench press will give you a massive advantage. Presume you're doing them all for the rugby anyway but the squatting is what everybody finds hardest to begin with as the game is all about staying low, no matter what position you play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Ah yes, I remember that game well. Vicious crosswind screwing with the passing game.

The Dublin Rebels play in black.

Incidentally... we're also recruiting -
    email:info@dublinrebels.com
    web: www.dublinrebels.com.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mochababy2

Hi my names Columba kelly,im 23years old,im interested in playing American football,not much experience in american footie,but got 11years of Rugby union,2years of Rugby league,play rugby at the mo wit seapoint rfc,im a winger in rugby 100meters under 11second ,running style of Jason Robinson,Nicknames Dancing shoes,im top try scorer in my club 3years in a row,won school cup twice,won the Metropolitan Cup 4times, always injoyed watchin football,always wanted to play,get back to me when you can,my mobile number 0858185075

• Advertisement

Heya Mocha, think Carl has been in touch. If you can drop me a pm with your height and weight I'll try to make sure we have shoulder pads for you Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mochababy2

im 6ft 1inchs,,, 12half stone,slim strong build,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Hi Mochababy,
    The Rebels train in Booterstown, very near where you play rugby. Training is this Sunday beside the DART station (on the green area where the ice-rink was last year). Come on down if you're interested.
    Andy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Andy, would you mind posting your own thread for recruitment? Carl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Think this calls for a fight.

FIGHT!.......... :D

mochababy2 wrote: »
    im 6ft 1inchs,,, 12half stone,slim strong build,

Cheers, should have stuff for you Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

kryogen wrote: »

http://www.bebo.com/Strongbows-Football

DCU Saints are again recruiting for the coming season. If you're interested come down and give it a try, no experience necessary. Training starts at 11.30 this week and further details and directions and so on are available on www.dcusaints.com

Advertisement