Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New House build problem

• 07-10-2008 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi, We are building a bungalow at the moment and I am at my wits end trying to figure out a problem we have hoping its not a major one.
    Window are in and roof is on however facia and ceilings yet to be completed. problem is that is there is really heavy rain the floor in the house will be covered in wet ( no leak in roof). I mean all floors will be covered in damp, however if the weather drys up the floors will be bone dry in a few hours. Initially we only noticed it in one room and thought there was a leak with the dpc but now this problem affects whole house. Just wondering if this is normal maybe humididty/ condensation???
    Anyone any ideas, we`re hping that when the house is fully sealed against elemts that this problem will resove itself beacuse when there is no rain floors are bone dry!! any advice appreciated please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If the house is "sealed" (roofed + windows & doors fitted) you shouldnt really see any rainwater on the floor. Its possible that a small amount may come in at the eaves but nothing that would result in the floors being wet all over. There is always the risk of a small bit of damp from blowing rain getting in prior to plastering but you need to go there on a wet day (you wont have long to wait) and have a look to see where the rainwater is penetrating the house structure.

I wouldnt like to think that someone forgot the floor DPM :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 pennies

Hi muffler
    Thanks for reply.
    No we put down the dpm ourselves and ensured it was 100% sealed. To me the problem is more a build up of moisture in the air which condensates and wets the floor then when its dry the floors are fine.
    Also niticed some damp on heads over the windows so obviously its not moisture penetrating from the ground it seems to be in the air. Anyway I`m baffled....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If its fairly exposed there will always be a certain amount of moistness in the air. Just check that DPC has been fitted properly around all jambs particularly at window heads. It should resolve itself when the plastering is complete.

Advertisement