Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleat pedals, a little help please!

Options
  • 07-10-2008 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

Right, I was told I'm mad to cycle without cleat pedals as it's terribly inefficient so I looked into what pedals I was going to get. Seeing as I'm new to this sort of cycling and my bike isn't exactly of phenomonal quality (2006 Trek 1000) I decided to get something entry level till I decide to get more serious.

So, I just bought these.... Shimano A530 SPD Single Sided Touring Pedals

Now I have to get the shoes to go along with them (one side anyway!) but I just walked into my local bike shop and your man didn't have a clue what I was on about when I asked him for cycling shoes for SPD cleats with a flexible rubber bottom, nothing rigid so I would at least have some reasonable ability to walk if I chose to.

I was hoping to get something along these lines (Shimano RT51 Shoes) but I was made to feel like this wouldn't work at all??

I'd be hesitant buying shoes off the internet because you don't get to try them on first!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Those shoes looks like they'd be OK. Maybe a bit slippery to walk in. If you really want to be able to walk in them, then a SPD-compatible mtb shoe would be a good choice.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/Cycle/7/Shoes_-_Cycle_Offroad/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I don't see why those shoes wouldn't be compatible with the pedals. The only thing to watch for with Shimano pedal systems, as far as I'm aware, is that their dedicated road pedal system is called SPD SL, whereas their other system (mountain biking, commuting etc.) is just called SPD. As long as the pedals will fit the bike itself, I don't see how you could have a problem.

Only thing I'd say is that you should be sure you know what your sizing is before ordering Shimano shoes. I believe Shimano sizing is a bit freaky compared to other brands. (I know I take a size smaller in Shimano, for example.)

Eoin D wrote: »
    Right, I was told I'm mad to cycle without cleat pedals as it's terribly inefficient so I looked into what pedals I was going to get. Seeing as I'm new to this sort of cycling and my bike isn't exactly of phenomonal quality (2006 Trek 1000) I decided to get something entry level till I decide to get more serious.

So, I just bought these.... Shimano A530 SPD Single Sided Touring Pedals

Now I have to get the shoes to go along with them (one side anyway!) but I just walked into my local bike shop and your man didn't have a clue what I was on about when I asked him for cycling shoes for SPD cleats with a flexible rubber bottom, nothing rigid so I would at least have some reasonable ability to walk if I chose to.

I was hoping to get something along these lines (Shimano RT51 Shoes) but I was made to feel like this wouldn't work at all??

I'd be hesitant buying shoes off the internet because you don't get to try them on first!

Any help greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

those shoes and pedals are compatible. they will fit all mtb style pedals.
    check out these pedals as well http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shimano_XT_M770_Pedals/5360031037/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have those A530 pedals.

I bought these shoes:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?a=b&minisite=10028&spid=40333&language=US

6118-40_d.jpg

I tried on the whole Specialized range (the shop only stocked Specialized) and these were the most comfy, and also cheapest.

They are quite walkable, although not massively grippy. I tried the more "shoe-like" ones, but found them too much of a compromise on the bike.

eta: after my experience, I would definitely not recommend buying blind on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I find these good at keeping my feet dry. They're cheap enough too:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7610

As for walking, well, they're not bad. You can still feel the cleat clinking against the road, but compared to my road shoes (with Look cleats), they're a podiatrist's dream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

Ah, thanks everyone!

I notice a lot of those shoes are specifically called mtb shoes, is it common for someone on a road bike to wear mtb shoes? Even if it is only for the benefit of being able to walk if needed?

I think I'm going to have to go to a different bike shop, somewhere with a bit more of a choice on shoes and that will actually know what I'm going on about. Just popped into that one as it was close to where I work.

I think I should probably tell them that I'm 'seriously thinking about getting those pedals' rather than telling them that they're on back order from wiggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

I have a set of these these and an older version of these to keep my feet dry and they work just fine. I walk around in them a lot and both are SPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Eoin D wrote: »

I notice a lot of those shoes are specifically called mtb shoes, is it common for someone on a road bike to wear mtb shoes? Even if it is only for the benefit of being able to walk if needed?

Generally they're called mountain bike shoes because they are SPD, which was/is mountain bike orientated. However, you'll find plenty of people on road bikes wearing SPD shoes, and some even wear SPD sandals! Just look for shoes that look more lightweight rather than heavy boot-like models.

For example, I wear these SPD shoes:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=153&idproduct=13641

which are pretty much identical to these SPD-SL (road) shoes:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=156&idproduct=5214

aside from the cleat system.

I have no problem walking short distances in these, and they don't slip even on laminate floors or tiles. I do hear the cleats scrapping on the group every few steps but it's no problem. For cold/wet weather get a pair of overshoes and you'll be set.

Re the sizing, strangely I ended up with a larger size than normal when buying Shimanos as the toe box is quite narrow. However, I've since read an article that recommends trying the shoes on while sitting down so the weight is off your feet similar to when you're in the saddle. If you stand up, your feet expand out a little under the weight of your body, so a shoe that is the correct size for cycling can feel tight when you're standing up.

MadHatter wrote: »
    Generally they're called mountain bike shoes because they are SPD, which was/is mountain bike orientated. However, you'll find plenty of people on road bikes wearing SPD shoes, and some even wear SPD sandals! Just look for shoes that look more lightweight rather than heavy boot-like models.

For example, I wear these SPD shoes:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=153&idproduct=13641

which are pretty much identical to these SPD-SL (road) shoes:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=156&idproduct=5214

aside from the cleat system.

I have no problem walking short distances in these, and they don't slip even on laminate floors or tiles. I do hear the cleats scrapping on the group every few steps but it's no problem. For cold/wet weather get a pair of overshoes and you'll be set.

Re the sizing, strangely I ended up with a larger size than normal when buying Shimanos as the toe box is quite narrow. However, I've since read an article that recommends trying the shoes on while sitting down so the weight is off your feet similar to when you're in the saddle. If you stand up, your feet expand out a little under the weight of your body, so a shoe that is the correct size for cycling can feel tight when you're standing up.

Ah, I see.

Interesting tip on the sizing. I find it hard to imagine that there would be a significant change in your footprint whether you're sitting/standing/cycling but there's no harm in taking it into consideration so I'll definately be conscious of it when I do go looking to buy shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Aldi in Collolock still have a bunch of SPD shoes (no cleats - but you got them with the pedals right?)

• Advertisement

Aldi in Collolock still have a bunch of SPD shoes (no cleats - but you got them with the pedals right?)

Yeah, should do. Coolock (?) is really out of my way, might pop into any closer aldi's I can find though, get a pair of SPD shoes I can wreck over the crappy winter weather.

Edit: Closest is Rathfarnham and thats not very close at all! Well I have a bit of times as those pedals aren't due to be back in stock until mid-October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

If you are size 11, I have a pair of shoes that would be perfect for your pedals, been trying to sell them on adverts.ie with a set of pedals. Have sold the pedals (and cleats) seperately to the shoes http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=73018&cat=500, they are just like ordinary runners, and you can walk around in them with the cleats still attached as they are recessed. only been worn a couple of times, check out the link and make an offer(if they are your size, that is)

Advertisement