Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edinburgh v Leinster, Heineken Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Thankfully I think the forward pass won't be the winning score (because this is now a rout)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Patterson penalty just before the break

Half-time: Edinburgh 6 Leinster 24.

Edinburgh have been very poor, and Leinster have been good in parts, but there's still room for improvement. They're perhaps a bit flattered by the scoreline, but some of Edinburgh's tackling has been a joke, and they conceded at least 8 turnovers, if not more, in 40 minutes of rugby :eek:

Good to see BOD playing well, I think it was interesting to see an example of his current game, where in the old days he would've taken on the last man himself for Contepomi's try, he instead sat back a little, and surveyed the options before popping the offload for the run-in try.

Leinster should kill off this early in the second half, and not let Edinburgh back into it. Just what the doctor ordered after the two interpro results of the last couple of weeks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Gaps or no gaps Leinster's handling and backline play has been fantastic!

BOD is having an absolute gem of a game and is certainly returning to his best form. You have to laugh at all the fools who have him written off.

If only Leinster could have played like this against Munster and Connacht the scores would have been very different.

The triple behind the back bass by BOD, Phil and Horgan was a joy to watch.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Shame I dont have the red button, I am stuck with this crap for the duration, I'd like to have a look at Clermont v Sale......damn you UPC

Just sit back and watch The BOD Show.... great to see Irelands greatest ever rugby player back to his best again! In 40mins he has showed every centre in Ireland what they should aspire to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »

BOD is having an absolute gem of a game and is certainly returning to his best form. You have to laugh at all the fools who have him written off.

If only Leinster could have played like this against Munster and Connacht the scores would have been very different.

All the tries have come from turnovers, and from distance, thats down to Edinburgh, not Leinster. Munster and Connacht didn't turn over the ball like that, nor will Wasps. You can only beat whats in front of you, but Edinburgh are pure muck, its hard to read too much into this, but Leinster wouldn't want to give other sides that much ball in the first 30.

Just sit back and watch The BOD Show.... great to see Irelands greatest ever rugby player back to his best again! In 40mins he has showed every centre in Ireland what they should aspire to.

You are joking right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ah the Munster man in the Leinster thread. :D

Great performance by Leinster to take advantage and superb counter attacking, the movement and hands have been fisrt class. The backrow are turning over the ball at will. Jennings has been very good, Elsom has been excellent and Heaslip has been superb.

Line out and Contepomis kicking a concern.

BO'D is tearing it up in the midfield with line breaks and giving a performance Richie McCaw would be proud of at the break down.

Great stuff from Leinster and great response to the last 2 outings where we played so below our standards it was unreal. I hope we really kick on from here now.

Keep it up Leinster!!!

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Ah the Munster man in the Leinster thread. :D

Great performance by Leinster to take advantage and superb counter attacking, the movement and hands have been fisrt class. The backrow are turning over the ball at will. Jennings has been very good, Elsom has been excellent and Heaslip has been superb.

Line out and Contepomis kicking a concern.

BO'D is tearing it up in the midfield with line breaks and giving a performance Richie McCaw would be proud of at the break down.

Great stuff from Leinster and great response to the last 2 outings where we played so below our standards it was unreal. I hope we really kick on from here now.

Keep it up Leinster!!!

Lets be honest, Edinburgh are shocking, hard to make a judgement on Leinster, but you can only beat what's in front of you. The Edinburgh defence and tackling has been non-existant at times.

I would imagine Edinburgh will be whipped home and away by both Leinster and Wasps on this showing.

All the tries have come from turnovers, and from distance, thats down to Edinburgh, not Leinster. Munster and Connacht didn't turn over the ball like that, nor will Wasps. You can only beat whats in front of you, but Edinburgh are pure muck, its hard to read too much into this, but Leinster wouldn't want to give other sides that much ball in the first 30.

Agreed, the scoreline is down to Edinburgh's poor play as much as it is to flashes of Leinster's good play - we've been far from excellent. No complaints from us Leinster folk though, a BP win will do the confidence a world of good before next weeks match.

I think you're either taking the p1ss or you've blue and yellow glasses on!

Funny to hear Debney say "no advantage. . . yes, I know, I should've blown the whistle sooner, I'm sorry". Yes you should have Rob, yes you should.

Poor clearance kick by Contepomi. Very sloppy game, and I'd expect a bit more from Leinster and not letting their game being dragged down to Edinburgh's level. Lot of loose passes and a lack of intensity.

Cian Healy on for CJ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Is it Stanley or CJ gone off?

I am sorry Inquitus but you can't take away from some of the world class handling,backline play and awareness of the Leinster forwards.

Interesting to see how Cian Healy gets on

Also if the score remains more or less the same maybe bring on Sexton afterwhile to keep the game safe as Phil's kicks aren't finding touch

juvenal wrote: »

I think you're either taking the p1ss or you've blue and yellow glasses on!

I disagree, forward awareness, ball handling, tackling and back line play has been fantastic add to that the joy of seeing BOD playing world class rugby again and you can see why I am excited. The only thing that hasn't been good is the kicking.

Has to be a yellow card for Contepomi :eek:

Penalty try for Edinburgh. Dr Phil in the bin for 10 - IDIOT!

That could change the game at this stage.

Conters in the bin and penalty try.

Aye could change the complexion here but I doubt it. 13-24 and Dr Phil on the bench for 10.

• Advertisement

AH bollix, penalty try and a yellow card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Yellow card and Penalty Try for being offside - ridiculous

Jackz wrote: »
    Is it Stanley or CJ gone off?

CJ off for Healy.

52 mins: Edinburgh 13 Leinster 24. Crucial period here, Leinster need to keep a clean sheet now, and possibly score as well during this 14-man period.

davyjose wrote: »

agreed. Very harsh

Right decision, ridiculous by Dr Phil, his offside interception clearly prevented a certain try.

• Advertisement

I think one or the other, but both yellow & pen try seems harsh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Certain try stopped fair call IMO.

Trojan wrote: »
    I think one or the other, but both yellow & pen try seems harsh.

I think penalty try would of been sufficient.

CJ off for Healy.

CJs still on the pitch.

Its wright thats off.

agreed. Very harsh

I think he meant that it was ridiculous play by Contepomi.:rolleyes:

It wasn't very hash - it was fooking stupid by Contepomi, and the right call, I've no time for that sort of sh1te on the field.

I hate to see rubbish posted by members who can't separate their following of a team from their following of the sport, and it goes on here from every province.

Either you follow the sport and respect the rules, not just when it suits your team. Try and have some impartiality while still supporting your team ffs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I think penalty try would of been sufficient.

Perhaps, but if an offence is big enough to be worthy of the award of a penalty try then I am not sure the ref has much option but to show the yellow as well.

CJs still on the pitch.

Its wright thats off.

My mistake, I thought they called CJ off on the commentary, and mentioned the knock he took to the head in the first half.
    marco polo wrote:
    Perhaps, but if an offence is big enough to be worthy of the award of a penalty try then I am not sure the ref has much option but to show the yellow as well.

I agree, Contepomi knew exactly what he was doing, pure cynical professional foul. No room for that and it needs to be dealt with forcibly and stamped out of the game.

Right decision, ridiculous by Dr Phil, his offside interception clearly prevented a certain try.

Nothing's certain, but either way, why put him off the pitch for 10 mins for making a mistake?

How is that a ****in scrum? Black was clearly offside in the ruck!

It wasn't very hash - it was fooking stupid by Contepomi, and the right call, I've no time for that sort of sh1te on the field.

I hate to see rubbish posted by members who can't separate their following of a team from their following of the sport, and it goes on here from every province.

Either you follow the sport and respect the rules, not just when it suits your team. Try and have some impartiality while still supporting your team ffs.

Oh cop on. It can easily be argued that a penalty try was sufficient. To give a yellow as well for a mistake when a penalty try has been awarded is very harsh.

• Advertisement

Nope, ridiculous by the ref/laws of the game. You've no time for that sh!te, fair enough, it was stupid. But why should 1 second of play be allowed change the shape of the match. It's disproportionately punitive.

Nope, ridiculous by the ref/laws of the game. You've no time for that sh!te, fair enough, it was stupid. But why should 1 second of play be allowed change the shape of the match. It's disproportionately punitive.

It's the laws of the bloody game!

CJ off for Healy.

Looks like Sky were wrong.

Ref totally inconsistent, he says 3 times they came in from the side and no yellow.

It's the laws of the bloody game!

and in MY opinion, it's a stupid bloody law. Simple - I'm not asking you to agree.

Nothing's certain, but either way, why put him off the pitch for 10 mins for making a mistake?

In fairness, I think it would be naive to think that it was a genuine "mistake" - he knew exactly what he was doing, and had no complaints when he was sent to the poca peacai.

In fairness, I think it would be naive to think that it was a genuine "mistake" - he knew exactly what he was doing, and had no complaints when he was sent to the poca peacai.

The only person who is able to make such a statement is Phil himself. Who knows if it was a mistake or not. The ref certainly doesn't so a yellow is harsh

The only person who is able to make such a statement is Phil himself. Who knows if it was a mistake or not. The ref certainly doesn't so a yellow is harsh

Whether it was a mistake or not is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

jackman wit the bogey throwing again... he's great around the pitch, just throwing letting him down some times!

Leinster doing well against a team that they sometimes bottle it against! Good to put the losses they suffered before in Heino cup to rest! They should be putting them away more in the 2nd half though!

• Advertisement

Whether it was a mistake or not is irrelevant.

I know what your saying but I just feel if it was a mistake its a penalty try fair enough. If it was clearly intentional then give the try and the yellow.

But anyways moot point the laws are as they are.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

wouldn't have said that was a certain try, the pass wasn't going to anyone and the cover was scrambling. likely a try but far from certain.

Based on the not handing out a yellow at the other end even after saying he say 4 deliberate incidents of foul play it seems very harsh from the same ref, who is having a shocker at both ends.

Edinburgh coming alive now

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

that was more of a yellow that time. not given of course.

copacetic wrote: »
    that was more of a yellow that time. not given of course.

That was a certain yellow too, just as bad as the last, ref is truly brutal.

So by your reasoning then any action that is 1 second of play shouldn't be allowed to change the shape of the match, be it a punch, a stamp, a bite or an offside, try-saving interception.

Whitaker could've easily had ten minutes and another penalty-try awarded there :eek:

• Advertisement

Leinster work rate is gone through the floor.

Edinburgh throw any chnace they had away with a moment of absolute pointless madness.

LOOK AT THAT SCRUM

What was Jackman doing out there?? haha

Fairplay Jackman.

FOR FOOKS SAKE!

How can Tyrone Howe (is that who's on Sky?) call for Whitaker's head on minute for a cynical, silly foul (which I wouldn't argue with), and then say that Matt Mostyn's cynical trip wasn't a yellow?

He hasn't got Tourette's Syndrome, he stuck out his leg and tripped the player as he ran around him.

Nice take by Jackman, saved a possible try there which would've made it a very nervous last few minutes. Leinster need at least another score.

• Advertisement
Advertisement