Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

money for oz??

Options
  • 07-10-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before but how much money does one need to go to oz? Am thinking of heading away soon as work is getting very tight and I think I will be in the dole queue soon. So at a rough guesstimate how much money would I need for flights to oz, visa, bank deposit for visa, set-up money, misc costs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dellym123

hey, im in the same boat myself, plannin on goin to oz in march. iv heard so many different prices for visas flights and different packages. Im applying for a working holiday visa (WHV) which lasts 12 months and when im over there il apply to stay for another year if i want to. i know a handful of people who have gone to oz in the past few weeks and some that are currently saving. their savings, visa companies and flight prices all vary. one of my mates that is going this week paid €700e for her visa and health insurance, she has €5,500 in her bank account. the average price for a visa is 250-350€ and apparently you can get it in 24 hrs. i was told the other day that you need to have c €4,000 in your bank account on the day that you are travelling over there coz thats the day that it is checked, i was under the impression that when you apply for ur visa that your bank account was checked.
    another mate is moving over there before xmas for good. he is setting up his business there etc, he applied online and was contacted within 2 days, was asked afew simple q's (had he ever lived in oz b4 etc) and the application was put thru for his business visa. his accounts were never checked. :)

i find ozeire.com a helpful site.

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

thanks dude, will take a look at that site. what is the min amount required in your account for the visa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Firstly its very hard to say, its really a how long is a piece of string question.

Too many variables. Are you going to work over there? If so how much? How long? Would you be able to live on cheap food? What is you accommodation preference/standards? Do you plan on doing much traveling and tourist things over there? Will you be on the piss seven days a week?

Regarding your visa, do not go through a visa company do it yourself it's easy to do it, the cheapest way, and you get it all with 72 hours (normally less).

Insurance, is a matter of shopping around, and making sure you get covered for what you want. If you plan on doing what water rafting, or sailing etc make sure thats covered.

Regarding flights, well its impossible to tell as there are so many variations on getting there. Again its a matter of looking around and see what suits you best.

Now regarding your bank account.

1)It is not automatically checked ever.
    2) They do say there is X amount of money you need. Cant remember it now but it will tell you when you look up the visa on the Australian governments site.
    3) This is rarely checked. It would only be checked if they thought there was something strange about you at immigration when arriving in Oz, i.e not having a return ticket can look at bit strange for someone on a working holiday visa and they may want to make sure you could afford one.
    4)You can either carry a bank statement to prove funds, or if you have internet banking you could log on and show them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Bring at least 3 grand to start.. and a good credit card for emergencies ..
    but like the others said ..it really depends what your trip is all about.. if it's work then you'll find work quick if you're motivated. If you intend to spend a few months traveling then bring lots more..

I spent 3 years there if you need any advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

dellym123 wrote: »
    one of my mates that is going this week paid €700e for her visa and health insurance, she has €5,500 in her bank account. the average price for a visa is 250-350€

The Oz visa has a set price if you go through the australian website. Other visa companies add charges, which are a complete rip off.
    Please don't bother with these, They offer little or nothing for what you can do yourself. the visa costs $195 / 120EURO

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/index.htm

They don't check the money in your account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement