Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend me a breed.

Options
  • 07-10-2008 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi folks,

I'm a dog fan and first time poster, I'm after some advice. We have a public house/guest house and are looking for a new dog.

We have always had collies crossed with Labs but this time we are looking at getting something different. The criteria for what we are looking for is a dog that is good with kids and with people in general but could be considered a guard dog. We also have a small farm with a few cows on it, the dog would generally be with me around the farm during the day and around the bar at night. The dog would not be subjected to large crowds, if the place was busy he would be in the living quarters with one of the family members.

It is a coastal area.

I like what I read about the English Mastiff, would it be suitable for what I want, could any of you recommend some other breeds for me to consider.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Rather than getting breed recommendations, just wondering if you would consider contacting your local dog rescue? If they are a good rescue they will probably know the dogs well and be able to tell you more about the dog's actual personality which seem to be the most important thing for you.

Just a suggestion. (because I don't know anything about breeds of dogs :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 intoDwest

Thanks for that, but I dont really want to go down that route. I want to raise the dog from a young pup myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

good with people and kids in general doesn't really fit with being a guard dog as it's either one or the other. do you mean more like a watchdog (i.e. bark to alert owners to intruder etc) or just imposing looking to deter a potential intruder?

the way I see it is you want a place to be guarded, get a security alarm put in. A dog is no good for guarding really since all it requires is a bullet from an intruder and there goes your security "system"!

The type of dog you get depends on your lifestyle, how long will you have to walk the dog each day? (following you around the farm doesn't really count as proper tiring out exersize depending on the type of dog you get but is interesting for a dog to roam around somewhere like a farm so that's nice for them)

also, you sound like you have a lot to do if you have a farm and a bar, will you have the time to put into training a puppy? it sounds like a great opportunity to socialize a pup though, can't get much better than a pup full of people to socialize with, whatever you get he'll probably grow up 100% with people. You must remember to socialize him with other pups/dogs as well though to prevent him being a "fighter" when he gets older.

as for breed, any breed will make a nice family pet really. and don't dismiss a rescue just because you want a pup, there are usually a lot of puppies looking for homes as well but if you want one you should put your name on a list and get yourself homechecked asap and ready to take a pup as puppies are usually adopted very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭AmyG

intoDwest wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm a dog fan and first time poster, I'm after some advice. We have a public house/guest house and are looking for a new dog.

We have always had collies crossed with Labs but this time we are looking at getting something different. The criteria for what we are looking for is a dog that is good with kids and with people in general but could be considered a guard dog. We also have a small farm with a few cows on it, the dog would generally be with me around the farm during the day and around the bar at night. The dog would not be subjected to large crowds, if the place was busy he would be in the living quarters with one of the family members.

It is a coastal area.

I like what I read about the English Mastiff, would it be suitable for what I want, could any of you recommend some other breeds for me to consider.

being baised i would suggest a samoyed! They are great nature around kids ansd people but at the same time brilliant gaurd dogs. Can be great herding dogs too which is a handy thing to have and love the water... Overall brilliant breed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

No individual dog from a specified breed can be less or more likely to be a good guard dog or a reliable dog to have in your place of business with your customers. Working breeds will be easier to train for the farm.

'Blame the dog not the breed' is a good mantra but those that use it to defend breeds perceived to be dangerous, wax on lyrically of how friendly their particular breed is.

I can imagine that some customers would not be too happy to see a mastiff in a premises they were paying to stay/eat/drink. I would have concerns about my children - yes a smaller dog can also bite but the larger the dog or stronger their jaws - the more damage.

My family have always chosen a dog from the litter - stand amongst the pups and clap your hands, the dog that comes to you first is supposed to be less likely to be a nervous type, the rest is up to you and how you raise/train the dog. I choose our lab/collie cross this way, she is great with kids, growls at strangers who peer over our fence and is happy with anyone who comes through our front door but I try not to leave her alone with children I dont know.

I wonder how drunk customers will treat the dog and despite your best efforts, may make the dog nervous or give it bad habbits - if they feed it from the hand what will happen when a child tries doing this and doesnt release the food properly or teases the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sounds to me that the breed you know is the right one.

We've got a collie cross and she matches your description perfectly. Perfect with kids, loud bark to deter intruders etc. OK, if anyone actually got in she would hide under the bed, but they would not know that:D

failing that, have you thought about a boxer? I've never had one but they are meant to be great family dogs and would give their life for you, However I believe, they can have a lot of health problems if not bred right.

My old neighbours had a Bullmastiff/Boxer cross and he was a beautiful dog. built like a small russian tank but with a lovely soft nature. I'm not sure if he was any good as a guard dog, but i'm not sure too many people would hang around if they saw him.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Personally I'd go for a labrador. They're great with people and crowds and are easily trained as pups. As for guarding the one I have will bark at night if he hears someone in the night!

But again, as was already stated, it all depends on the personality of the dog more than the breed.!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 upthewalls

I found this site to be very helpful. just Click on dog breed reviews.
    http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/index.html

having done some research myself, I would favour the Irish Red Setter.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 intoDwest

Thanks Folks for your input, much appericated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lakes

Staffordshire bull terrier is a brilliant dog, great wit kids!! German shepard is also a great breed,great wit kids & a brilliant guard dog!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lakes wrote: »
    Staffordshire bull terrier is a brilliant dog, great wit kids!!

But would make a lousy guard dog due to its good nature with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i agree with lakes the staffy is the perfect dog -i have in the passed showed and bred staffies and they are brilliant with kids and are eager to please--they do not need a lot of exercise-but will walk for ever--not very good as a guard dog because they love everyone-i now have a english bulldog -he like all the breed is very soft -but its look is enough to scare anybody off and unlike most staffies he will bark at any strange noise

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you encourage your dog to be a guard & put him with the public or children you are asking for trouble. You are expecting your dog to learn when to guard & when to wag it's tail to strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

intoDwest wrote: »
    Hi folks,

It is a coastal area.

You cant go too far wrong with the English Mastiff, not to be mistaken with the Bull Mastiff, two very different breeds.

I have an 8 year Mastiff and he fits all your requiements very well.

Mastiffs are probably the most trustworthy breed there is, they wont threaten anybody and are very gentle, yet if there family is threatened the will put themselves between the threat and you.

You might also look into the Dogue de Bordeaux they are very similar in character.

i agree the englishbulmastif is a nice dog but you must remember-in ireland it is on the restricted list -this will mean you will have to muzzle it when in the bar with the public--i still stick with the english bulldog-people will come into the bar just to have a look at it--i always bring mine with me when i come over to wicklow and the pub soon gets packed with people wanting to pat him

getz wrote: »
    i agree the englishbulmastif is a nice dog but you must remember-in ireland it is on the restricted list -this will mean you will have to muzzle it when in the bar with the public--i still stick with the english bulldog-people will come into the bar just to have a look at it--i always bring mine with me when i come over to wicklow and the pub soon gets packed with people wanting to pat him

There is no such breed as a "englishbulmastif".

The Bull Mastiff however is on the dangerous dogs list.

The Mastiff or Olde English Mastiff is not on the list.

all bull breeds are on the restricted dogs list ;except the english bulldog-even that was on the list but taken off in 1998--the mastiff is a bull breed dont just take my word for it --check with irishdogs ie

getz wrote: »
    all bull breeds are on the restricted dogs list ;except the english bulldog-even that was on the list but taken off in 1998--the mastiff is a bull breed dont just take my word for it --check with irishdogs ie

You're just not getting it, use google, its your friend.

sorry pal its because i am old and english so i must be thick

Advertisement