Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V Cyprus

• 07-10-2008 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

The Republic of Ireland squad is to play Cyprus at Croke Park on Wednesday 15 October:

Shay Given (Newcastle United), Dean Kiely (West Brom), Joe Murphy (Scunthorpe United), Alex Bruce (Ipswich Town), Damien Delaney (QPR), Richard Dunne (Manchester City) , Kevin Kilbane (Wigan Athletic), Joey O'Brien (Bolton Wanderers), John O'Shea (Manchester United), Paul McShane (Sunderland), Stephen Hunt (Reading), Aiden McGeady (Glasgow Celtic), Damien Duff (Newcastle United), Liam Miller (Sunderland), Andy Reid (Sunderland), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Kevin Doyle (Reading), Robbie Keane (Liverpool), Andy Keogh (Wolves), Shane Long (Reading), Daryl Murphy (Sunderland).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No Stephen Ireland! :eek: :pac:

Have my ticket for that. Please God its better than the last affair between these 2....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No Stephen Ireland! :eek: :pac:

I think we should ask Stephen Ireland back. Discuss!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

****, was hoping Trappa would convince baldy back for this one.

Ill be there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Steven Reid and Finnan injured?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

emc2 wrote: »
    The Republic of Ireland squad is to play Cyprus at Croke Park on Wednesday 15 October:

Shay Given (Newcastle United), Dean Kiely (West Brom), Joe Murphy (Scunthorpe United), Alex Bruce (Ipswich Town), Damien Delaney (QPR), Richard Dunne (Manchester City) , Kevin Kilbane (Wigan Athletic), Joey O'Brien (Bolton Wanderers), John O'Shea (Manchester United), Paul McShane (Sunderland), Stephen Hunt (Reading), Aiden McGeady (Glasgow Celtic), Damien Duff (Newcastle United), Liam Miller (Sunderland), Andy Reid (Sunderland), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Kevin Doyle (Reading), Robbie Keane (Liverpool), Andy Keogh (Wolves), Shane Long (Reading), Daryl Murphy (Sunderland).

starting 11 should be:
    Given
    J O'Brien Dunne O'Shea Kilbane

Duff Whelen A.Reid McGeady

Keane Doyle

If A.Reid is not selected in this match, there is definitly something wrong.

glenjamin wrote: »
    Steven Reid and Finnan injured?

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Interesting match,Cyprus is very good lately,same as their clubs,becoming better and better coz they are investing a lot of money in their football,i supose its gonna be very hard game for Ireland but if you want to stayon the road for WC you need to win this no matter what no matter how,i predict 1-0 for Ireland after penalty kick,Keane:D

You are not playing this saturday?

Interesting match,Cyprus is very good lately,same as their clubs,becoming better and better coz they are investing a lot of money in their football,i supose its gonna be very hard game for Ireland but if you want to stayon the road for WC you need to win this no matter what no matter how,i predict 1-0 for Ireland after penalty kick,Keane:D

You are not playing this saturday?

Just playing on the Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

FAI are c**ts.

I would actually like to go to Ireland matches but prices are rediculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

starting 11 should be:
    Given
    J O'Brien Dunne O'Shea Kilbane

Duff Whelen A.Reid McGeady

Keane Doyle

If A.Reid is not selected in this match, there is definitly something wrong.

Have to agree. If he aint in for this, something is wrong. I really hope we don't see the 'senseless foul' maker Liam Miller in ahead of him, but I've got a bad feeling. Whelan hasn't been getting game time at Stoke. I also think having Stephen Reid makes him look better than he is. Not sure if Trap would trust him as the sole defensive midfielder. This is the 1st home qualifier too, so I wonder will we see a more attack minded side. Please have Andy Reid in!! If Miller plays, I bet we concede a goal from one of his dunder headed 'tackles'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

SantryRed wrote: »
    FAI are c**ts.

I would actually like to go to Ireland matches but prices are rediculous.

How so? It cost me 90 Euro for the ticket for this + the ticket for the Poland game next month, so 45 each for 90 minutes of football is decent value, relative to the cost of concerts, pints and Mars bars in this country of ours.

Given the fact that the match is being played in World Class facilities and is a qualifier for the biggest tournament in World sport, I think the ticket prices are fairly good.

50 euro to sit on bucket seats in the Hill?

That's an absolute rip off. Don't have the money to be going these games and travelling the country following Shels.

Tickets for the Hill should be at most 25/30 euro.

50 euro to sit on bucket seats in the Hill?

That's an absolute rip off. Don't have the money to be going these games and travelling the country following Shels.

Tickets for the Hill should be at most 25/30 euro.

Well my seats are in the Upper Hogan, I don't think the Hill ones are quite as dear but I am not sure, I still don't think that the prices are too bad. It costs about 300 euro to camp in a field of sh*te at ******, 10 euro into the cinema no matter how bad the movie, 1.05 to go 4 stops on a Dublin Bus. It's all relative and I don't think 50 quid is at all poorly priced for a World level event.

Draupnir wrote: »
    World level event.

What match are you goin to!?

Whatever the standard, it's still a World level game and is possibly the highest level our Senior team will play for a while, unless we can pull off a few results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I know the Stephen Ireland debate has been done to death but here goes again:o...

I want to see him back in the green jersey, but this really does look like there's no way back now.

I'd say a lot went on behind the scenes the last few days to try get him back...that was probably why they planned the naming of the squad as late as today to give it as much time as possible.

If you take this game in isolation even, we are missing Steven Reid, a big player for us, and still he's not back to compensate for that loss. It was all set up for him to return for this game - he's in great form, we only have one game this time and it's at home, but still no sign of him:confused:

You look at the Dutch squad and VDS has come out of retirement for their double header to cover for an injury...I don't know, I honestly can't understand Stephen Irelands stance on this?

Sadly, it seems to me that Stephen Ireland embodies everything that is wrong with the 'modern day footballer' ...self centered and just in it for the cash:(

Nunu wrote: »
    Sadly, it seems to me that Stephen Ireland embodies everything that is wrong with the 'modern day footballer' ...self centered and just in it for the cash:(

I don't know about that myself, but i suppose if he feels no honour in representing Ireland, there's nothing much to be done. Can't condemn him for it, its not like he gets paid for it. If he feels that there's no honour in it, not much can be done. He doesn't owe the country anything, just like none of the players do. But they are honoured to be called up by the national team. As I said in another thread, its mad that someone like Cascarino was so loyal to the Irish cause, and he wasn't even Irish. Can't understand it myself, I'm not patriotic, or even very nationalistic, but It was one of my biggest dreams to put on that green Jersey. Different strokes and all that.

Anyway, he probably wouldn't be first choice anyway. We have a squad of players who have accepted the honour of a call up, so lets not waste anymore time on speculating about players who aren't Ireland players. Yeah, shame a decent player doesn't want to play for us, we have those who do though, no biggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

JimiTime wrote: »
    its not like he gets paid for it

......Anyway, he probably wouldn't be first choice anyway.

See what I mean? I honestly think that's probably a determining factor in his mind.

...Whether he'd be first choice is another debate....for me he'd be the next name on my team sheet after Shay Given. It's not that he's an unbelievable world class talent but he has something none of our other outfield players have - even when he's playing ****e he's likely to pop up with a vital goal....technically he's a very accomplished footballer. He reminds me of Gerrard in that sense.

Eh. I think they do get paid:confused:

• Advertisement

Draupnir wrote: »
    Well my seats are in the Upper Hogan, I don't think the Hill ones are quite as dear but I am not sure, I still don't think that the prices are too bad. It costs about 300 euro to camp in a field of sh*te at ******, 10 euro into the cinema no matter how bad the movie, 1.05 to go 4 stops on a Dublin Bus. It's all relative and I don't think 50 quid is at all poorly priced for a World level event.

300 euro for 4 days entertainment.

50 euro for 90 minutes.

Anyways, stupid comparisons.

IMO. They are a rip off.

Nunu wrote: »
    See what I mean? I honestly think that's probably a determining factor in his mind.

I meant that in the context that if he feels no honour in representing his country, then theres nothing that would really draw him to do it. If he got the hump with Man City, he'd be out on his ear as they pay for his services and he must do his Job. International obviously means nothing to him. He probably just thinks, 'nice one, a week off'. He owes us nothing, and does not feel honour in representing the country of his birth, so what would be his motivation?

Personally I think he's just stubborn and childish, and wants to make a point. But thats only my opinion, probably based on my bias that 'surely everyone wants to play for their country'. Anyway, I digress.
    ...Whether he'd be first choice is another debate....for me he'd be the next name on my team sheet after Shay Given. It's not that he's an unbelievable world class talent but he has something none of our other outfield players have - even when he's playing ****e he's likely to pop up with a vital goal....technically he's a very accomplished footballer. He reminds me of Gerrard in that sense.

I think he's got potential, but he's not ever going to be 'great' IMO. I don't see that kind of potential. Defo be an asset, but he's not an Ireland player, he's a Man City Player, by his choice. So lets talk about the Irish players, because talking about Stephen Ireland in the context of Rep.Of Ireland is akin to talking about Ronaldo playing for us. He's not an Irish International player, so lets move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I dont think Trap is selecting the best possible players available to him. Some of the selections make no sense? No Noel Hunt? Why? Shane Long is behind him in the Reading pecking order.

Chris McCann should be in that team easily. Don Givens is clearly a cancer in the selection of these squads and is the one negative to Trapattoni's reign so far.

Eh. I think they do get paid:confused:

Do they? Maybe bonuses and expenses etc. But a per game fee? have you details on this?

Well I remember hearing that the English players donate whatever they get to the nurses or something.

That's why I thought it would be the same around most nations. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

JimiTime wrote: »
    Do they? Maybe bonuses and expenses etc. But a per game fee? have you details on this?

I also think they get paid, i think its a pretty small amount.

I have no idea where i have this from, mustve read it in one of those autobiography's or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Fear we will suffer without Reid and Finnan.

50 euro to watch a match in one of the best stadiums in Europe isnt exactly a rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My tickets work out at 55 I think. My mate signed up for them.

I still think it's a rip-off, but I'm going to all the qualifiers as it's my only chance to enjoy big games in Croker without going to GAA matches.

if the money goes to the grassroots of football(which it won't) then I wouldnt mind the cost as much.

• Advertisement

Estie my man,you got tickets too?

yep. 50 euro. not excited at all really. the prospect of seeing miller and whelan again in midfield is not a good thought(they played against serbia in the friendly together and it was the most one dimensional midfield ever)

Miller being the person I don't want to see.

Ah you will watch the game,all other things arent important now,enjoy it:D

I hope to go on Serbia-France,tbh i still have no idea about fixtures and wasnt interested for now,on saturday we play against Lithuania in Belgrade,gonna be boring to watch on stadium and on wednesday is gonna be fantastic game in Vienna against Austria,all tickets sold already,55000 people,Vienna is european city with the most serbs,around 300 000 so some infos here are that from 55000 we got even 15-20000 tickets but we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I dont think Trap is selecting the best possible players available to him. Some of the selections make no sense? No Noel Hunt? Why? Shane Long is behind him in the Reading pecking order.

Chris McCann should be in that team easily. Don Givens is clearly a cancer in the selection of these squads and is the one negative to Trapattoni's reign so far.

Noel Hunt is out with concussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Noel Hunt suffered a concussion at the weekend didn't he? So even if Trap wanted to pick him (Which I don't think he did as as far as I know he is still a B international) he couldn't anyway.

surely he'd recover by the 15th? I realise he's out for thursday but how long can it possibly last?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Doctors say 2 weeks doing nothing for a concussion as far as I know

well that puts me in my place but his selection in the B squad would indicate there was no plan to call him up anyway so my criticism of the selection policy still remains.

well that puts me in my place but his selection in the B squad would indicate there was no plan to call him up anyway so my criticism of the selection policy still remains.

you probably never heard of n.hunt until this season.

LMAO. Never. Is the guy who said that football isn't that interesting to watch trying to be smart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'm confident we will win this game 2-0.

• Advertisement

1-0 for me.

LMAO. Never. Is the guy who said that football isn't that interesting to watch trying to be smart?
    i said eircom lg football isnt interesting to watch.

by your post i get the impression you were thinking that you are some in the know football fan who actually knew of noel hunt before this season, so I presume you are a fan of the SPL yet you dont watch LOI?

by your post i get the impression you were thinking that you are some in the know football fan who actually knew of noel hunt before this season, so I presume you are a fan of the SPL yet you dont watch LOI?

i never heard of noel hunt before this season........... what point are you trying to make?

forget it.

Ok, i just think its funny that people think (because a player is having a decent spell of form) that it automatically means a call up.
    Long has been in the squad for a couple of years now, has been involved with Trap in all of his squads and the Portugal breaks. He knows his international teammates, knows what system and style Trap wants to play and has experience of playing (and scoring) in international games. Yes Noel has been better than Long in recent weeks, but its hardly the time to throw in a rookie, especially when you can wait until the B international v. Forest (if he was fit) or the upcoming friendlies to have a look at Hunt, meet with him and discuss/show him what Trap wants from his strikers. Its not simply a case of throwing together the 'Team of the Week' ffs.

would you have not said that first rather than questioning if i knew the lad or not?

anway I get that argument but does that mean no matter what a player does just because they weren't involved in Traps early games they can't push for a starting place in the team?

What does Glenn Whealen have to do to be dropped? Now I don't want him dropped as hes performed well for us in traps first games but if hes not playing for stoke at all this has to have some bearing on whether or not he's in the team or not.

Players like Chris McCann, Garvan, JJ O'Toole, Fahey are playing far better than Whelan probably ever has done in his career, but because by virtue that stoke were promoted he is deemed a Premiership player and the four I just mentioned are deemed championship level/ LOI level players even though at least 3 of them(JJ O'toole not sure) have done enough to prove they would be good enough for the first team.

I like Carsley but tbh im content he's not in the squad.

What I fear is that this will lead to players becoming contemplative and over time see a lax in performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'm guessing its fairly easy to get tickets still lads?

Still selling them on FAI.ie I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I think there are two very weak links in our team and they are at RB and CM. I can understand Whelan holding onto his place for the min cause he’s done well in the games he’s played for Ireland. However if he continues to warm the bench for a relegation zone PL team then I think he will have to be moved aside.
    The real problem in this area though is the thought of Liam Miller being selected in CM alongside Whelan. I would prefer to see pretty much any other Ireland player from the squad in there ahead of Miller. I would prefer Joey O’Brien or John O’Shea ffs.
    I can’t believe he is still being selected in squads, never mind the starting 11. Andy Reid should be given a shot there. Whelan can provide the defensive stability that Reid is lacking, and if he can’t, then bring in someone who can. You should try and get your best players on the field at all times. If S.Reid was fit I can just about understand Andy being a sub, because I think S.Reid’s game would be altered too much playing with Andy. Maybe Garvan will make the squad, but I doubt he’ll play. Unless they need a sub and it’s a choice between him and Andy Reid!!!:D
    I think Duff and McGeady on the wings(although I have yet to be convinced by the latter), and the two lads up front. I would love if Duff could capture some of the sparkle from a few years ago. He was reason enough to pay €50 for a ticket a couple of years back.
    RB is very worrying even if it is only for 1 game. McShane is unreliable, regardless of where Hull lie in the PL. He will make mistakes, hopefully it will not cost us the game against Cyprus. Don’t know if Joey O’Brien is in with a shout for RB? He’s used as a CM by Bolton but there was a massive furore when he was played there for Ireland. Did he play RB for us once?? Anyway, I think I would keep O’Shea in CB and take the risk of Joey O’B at RB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement