Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V Cyprus

18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

ummmm

Does anyone else worry about the current team being ass whipped by the big guns such as Holland, Spain, Germany, Italy et al?

We give the ball away far too much and our midfeild will be destroyed by the big boys.

We are well placed in the group but wait until we play a big team.

with a world class reserve midfield?? Never....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

ummmm

Does anyone else worry about the current team being ass whipped by the big guns such as Holland, Spain, Germany, Italy et al?

We give the ball away far too much and our midfeild will be destroyed by the big boys.

We are well placed in the group but wait until we play a big team.
    The way we played on Wednesday is probably better suited to playing against a better team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I am starting to grow in confidence that we will make it to SA with team belief mixed with a little bit of luck. Quite simply, teams do get lucky breaks. Look at Turkey in Euro 08, always on their arse and at one point thru injury and suspension playing a C squad, nevermind B, but yet always maintained enough belief mixed with some luck to get through at the very end. Whelans chancy goal v Georgia, a 2nd choice Cyprus team via injury, Italy being in their most sluggish state for decades and a surprisingly poor Bulgarian start, we have certainly had a blessing or two despite our own injuries (Reid and Finnan) and S Irelands absence. We migntnt play the most attractive high tempo football getting there, but for the first time in years it looks possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

In ref to the atmosphear remarks, in general the bulk of the Irish home crowd cannot and seem unable to make any effort at an atmosphear. I have stopped going to games due to the whole sit down brigade, 4500 of us in germany vs Georgia made more noise than most Internationals at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

In ref to the atmosphear remarks, in general the bulk of the Irish home crowd cannot and seem unable to make any effort at an atmosphear. I have stopped going to games due to the whole sit down brigade, 4500 of us in germany vs Georgia made more noise than most Internationals at home.

That's a really stupid pointless reason not to go to Ireland games. You either support the team or you don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

monkey9 wrote: »
    That's a really stupid pointless reason not to go to Ireland games. You either support the team or you don't!

I think what he means is that if you and two mates are sat there shouting and attempting to get decent chants going (not ****ing Stand Up for the Boys in Green, it's sh1te, yet was pretty much the only one going) and you are an island of noise in the middle of dozens of quiet people, you almost feel like you're making a scene. Not a particularly great atmosphere for your 50. When you hear the stadium PA playing the fields of athenry instrumental and no ****er joining in you nearly wish you were in the pub sinkin jars with people screaming at the tv. I dont regret going but **** if this is the buzz at an international competitive I dread to think what a friendly is like.

Where are the free tickets coming from anyway? Who do you hafta know to get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

shane86 wrote: »
    Last night.

The crowd.

WTF?!?

Dare I say it Croker needs the bar open to get these people out of their shells (IIRC is drink banned at internationals across Europe?)
    Nope, drink was free flowing at the Euro's in Austria, could buy as many as you want and bring them back to your seat. They even gave you a special cardboard carrying thing so you could ake 5 back at once and not have to keep queing. only 3.50 per pint as well.

As for Croker, yeah being away from the pitch probably doesn't help, but i think its the fans as much as anything. I've never been there for a soccer match but been to loads of GAA there and atmosphere has never been a problem, with the exception of when its 3/4's empty. Also Landsdown didn't exactly have the best atmosphere in the world most of the time either...

It's no different to any big stadium a not so glamorous team.

and McGeady, while showing flashes of brilliance, kept giving the ball away.
    I watched the match today mainly to rubbish someone's claim on another forum that McGeady gave the ball away "literally dozens of times".

He misplaced 2 passes and got the ball taken off him twice. He played quite a few passes altogether and took on players 15+ times so that's not bad at all. People seem to remember McGeady's mistakes though. I'm biased towards McGeady but also think I give accurate reviews of his performances. There's a lot more people biased against McGeady who let it affect their views.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I watched the match today mainly to rubbish someone's claim on another forum that McGeady gave the ball away "literally dozens of times".
    :eek:

Are you bleedin' serious?

Reminds me of this tbh

duty_calls.png

:pac:
    eirebhoy wrote: »
    took on players 15+ times

That's the problem.

He tries to beat players too many times.

Go and watch the match again, see how many times he beats a player, but then turns and tries to beat the same player a second time, instead of crossing.

Also, see how many times he receives a ball in a good crossing position, but elects to try and beat his man.

He may get a pass away, eventually, but the first time ball wasn't chosen when it should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Des wrote: »
    Reminds me of this tbh

duty_calls.png

:pac:

My missus stuck that pic on our fridge as a reminder of what an internet loser person I am :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

But in fairness, I think there's a little of that in all of us that's why I laughed so much when I first saw it. And if anybody is in any doubt as to whether or not it refers to them, have a look at your post count and that should answer it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BaZmO* wrote: »
    But in fairness, I think there's a little of that in all of us that's why I laughed so much when I first saw it. And if anybody is in any doubt as to whether or not it refers to them, have a look at your post count and that should answer it.

Doesn't apply to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Doesn't apply to me.
    Yeah right Des, you keep telling yourself that! :D

Go and watch the match again, see how many times he beats a player, but then turns and tries to beat the same player a second time, instead of crossing.
    Twice that I remember. The first time he did that spin but didn't actually get by the player and had to go back. He was closed down by a couple of players and made a pass backwards. He's not doing it for the fun of it. :) He obviously didn't beat them well enough first time around. He certainly had no option but to turn around on the 2 occasions I saw anyway.
    Also, see how many times he receives a ball in a good crossing position, but elects to try and beat his man.
    One cross in the first half to Doyle (which was put out for a corner) was a little dink in without having to beat a player. For Celtic he'll regularly make a run, cut back and cross it in without beating a player. The crititism I'd have of him is that he looks to cross the ball too early after beating a player. Sometimes he'll have plenty of space to run into the box but he'll play the first time cross.

Example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxepT1dh-yE

As for that pic, I always watch Ireland games a couple of times. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement