Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V Cyprus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Draupnir wrote: »
    It cost me 90 Euro for the ticket for this + the ticket for the Poland game next month, so 45 each for 90 minutes of football is decent value...
    You think €45 for a friendly is good value? I remember paying less than half that for Staunton's first game against Sweden.
    Yes Noel has been better than Long in recent weeks months...
    Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

djpbarry wrote: »
    You think €45 for a friendly is good value? I remember paying less than half that for Staunton's first game against Sweden.

Yes, I think it's good value. I'd spend that on beer in the pub while watching the game if I wasn't going. I was at the Sweden game too and can't remember what I paid but I remember it was very cold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Fixed that for you.

anyone can look good playing in the SPL in fairness

Yes, I think it's good value. I'd spend that on beer in the pub while watching the game if I wasn't going.
    Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to differ. Personally, I wouldn't pay anything close to that kind of money for a friendly match.
    anyone can look good playing in the SPL in fairness
    A little harsh, but point taken. He seems to have carried his form into the Championship though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yes, I think it's good value. I'd spend that on beer in the pub while watching the game if I wasn't going.

forty-five quid on beer in 90 minutes?

What do you drink?

Des wrote: »
    Was thinking that myself. That's, what, 9 pints?

Free ticket FTW!! :pac:

Free ticket FTW!! :pac:

Free tickets ftl, tbh.

You get it set with the corporate crowd, and you aren't allowed to cheer or even stand up.

Free tickets ftl, tbh.

You get it set with the corporate crowd, and you aren't allowed to cheer or even stand up.

Ah Dessy, jumpin to conclusions!

My mate sorted me out with teh ticket for free cos I got him one for the German game last year! No corporate tossers for me thanks! i'm in with the real fans, though last game I was at I was sat beside an 80 year old guy who frowned and put his fingers in his ears whenever anyone started to sing....buzzkill tbh.

So its still free ticket FTW for me!

• Advertisement

image.php?u=125253&dateline=1202550286

O Reginald! I disagree!

That's not Reginald :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

What do you drink?

I'd usually watch the game with 3/4 mates, a round comes to about 17/18 quid. I'd easily have two rounds in a match, so lets say 35 quid for arguments sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

if the money goes to the grassroots of football(which it won't) then I wouldnt mind the cost as much.

15 years ago there were more hurlers in Ireland than footballers. Now there are more footballers than gaelic players and hurlers combined, and thats before we include 5 a side.

the FAI are pumping money into the grassroots, largely from the money they make off these games. Thats an offensively idiotic statement to make ec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Fixed that for you.

We weren't paying an exorbitant €2m a game to the Gaafia back then though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

15 years ago there were more hurlers in Ireland than footballers. Now there are more footballers than gaelic players and hurlers combined, and thats before we include 5 a side.

Are there any stats on that, would find it hard to believe that Soccer players outnumber GAA ones? Maybe I'm wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

zAbbo wrote: »
    Are there any stats on that, would find it hard to believe that Soccer players outnumber GAA ones? Maybe I'm wrong though.

Indeed. Every single area of the countryside has a local gah club. Certainly doesnt appear to be the case for soccer (the gah refusing to share pitches being one obvious reason I would imagine). I know Cavan well and there are few if any clubs outside the large towns, yet you can see gah pitches/clubhouses in the dead middle of the countryside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Association football (sawcer) is the biggest participation sport in Ireland, not sure if that counts kickarounds in the park etc.

Just heard RTE offered the FAI an extra €4m to not have to show LOI matches, I wont be paying my tv license next year either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

link to that bohsman, and i dont think this is the thread for that.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/the-day-irish-football-was-changed-forever-111774.html Its on wiki aswell.

"We went to three major finals and it was the springboard to football becoming the biggest participation sport in Ireland," says Casey.

On the RTE thing, it came out at the fans forum in Abbotstown this morning. Link to trip report - http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=103696

• Advertisement

yeah just reading it on foot.ie there, shocking stuff. i think it deserves its own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Have tickets for this too...
    Hoping that it's a good match (although I'd be happier with a scrappy 3-0)
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I actually think this could be a struggle for us, i saw most of the Italy Cyprus game and Cyprus had at least their fair share of possession/chances. They had two glorious oppertunities just before Vieri (i think) snatched a winner. Also coupled with tonights result i think we will loose if we dont give 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

M5 wrote: »
    I actually think this could be a struggle for us, i saw most of the Italy Cyprus game and Cyprus had at least their fair share of possession/chances. They had two glorious oppertunities just before Vieri (i think) snatched a winner. Also coupled with tonights result i think we will loose if we dont give 100%

I agree with you. I don't think this will be a walk in the park but I'm hoping the players will be fired up for it and that we can take it maybe 2-0.

I still have concerns over Glenn Whelan. He's done well up to now but I think he'll be found out one of these days and that it will be very bad news for us when it happens. With no Reid in the team I'm wondering how Whelan will get on. I'm also praying we don't see McShane used at right-back.

im happy with mcshane there but really at home we should play foley who seems to be playing brilliant so far this season. would offer more from an attacking perspective even though mcshane has been known to pull of an elastico in the past.

anyway i think we will scrape a 1-0 win, but if mcgeady and duff hit form you never know, it could be a joy to watch.

McShane = Liability IMHO

Ireland to win 1:0/2:1, although hoping for 5:4, then the €75 for the ticket would almost be worth it :D:D:D

its weird when i went to the cyprus home game in 04 it was a shoe in and we were expected to grab a few goals. now cyprus is deemed a test of just how different we are under Trap. how times have changed, and thats only just over 4 years ago.

I think thats as much to do with the development of Cypriot football over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

bohsman wrote: »
    I think thats as much to do with the development of Cypriot football over the last few years.

Having a team from Cyprus in the Champs League backs this. They are a footballing country on the up.

glenjamin wrote: »
    Having a team from Cyprus in the Champs League backs this. They are a footballing country on the up.

agreed, we have gone down a little but they have come on leaps and bounds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

bohsman wrote: »

We should hammer them. Currently our league is ranked number 1 while Cyprus is ranked 24th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Pure Cork wrote: »
    We should hammer them. Currently our league is ranked number 1 while Cyprus is ranked 24th.
    What?:confused:.......Dear God don't tell me that you're classing the EPL as our
    league now?

I usually get annoyed at all the "you should support an irish team" etc. bulls**t, but that comment really deserves to get the treatment ;)

pfft... our league...
    The Cypriot League only went fully professional this year afaik.
    Might be a model for the LoI, and there's an awful lot more domestic-based players in their national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

What?:confused:.......Dear God don't tell me that you're classing the EPL as our
    league now?

Most of our players play in the EPL. Most of those who don't (e.g. McGeady, Doyle, etc.) are good enough to play in the EPL. Most of us support a team in the EPL. Our league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Most of our players play in the EPL. Most of those who don't (e.g. McGeady, Doyle, etc.) are good enough to play in the EPL. Most of us support a team in the EPL.

True
    Our league.

Not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

Well McGeady certainly isn't good enough for the EPL, that's for sure.

No of course he isn't.:rolleyes:

Our league.
    So, please be so kind as to tell me this:
    What does the ''E'' in ''EPL'' stand for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He's taking the piss:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think McGeady could easily do a job for a team in the top 10 of the prem (maybe top 6 at a push).

Whelan and Miller in the centre is a worrying prospect for myself as well. Surely A.Reid would be better for retaining the possession and setting up Keane's runs?

Mcshane at right back for me. O'Shea is in the form of his life for his country (not hard) and Id hate to break that up.

I went to the Serbia game and witnessed Miller and Whelan in the same midfield. It is not very promising if them two are in the centre of our midfield. Whelan with a player like S or A Reid does work but with Liam Miller? Heck no. Miller to me is he like a worse version of the Tiago of Juventus(and thats saying something) always just passing the ball to the side and back and when he does look forward often overhits the pass.

The term a 'nothing' player was never so true with Miller but hopefully he can prove me wrong. If he's in the team then he has my support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Im just not sure where his strengths lie anymore. I thought he was a goalscorer initially but those have really dried up. He is pretty lightweight. Im sure he could pick as pass a little better than Whelan but I agree with whoever said he does nothing but play simple, safe balls wide. Obviously that would not a bad thing in most cases-but we already expect Whelan to be the workman who will be playing it simple in line with his technical ability.

I guess if Andy doesn't start the entire emphasis will be on Duff, McGeady and the front two to make something happen. I just think those players could seriously benefit from Reid's passing ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

If it wasn't a big game already, it has become one with both games yesterday ending in draws.

Regardless of whether Cyprus are a team on the rise, we should really beat them, we should not be entering this match in any other frame of mind, the humiliation of our last few showings against them should be enough motivation.

Id much prefer to see A reid in the centre of midfield, and if not i want to see him on the wing instead of mcgeady. He is quality in possesion, has killer vision and is a threat from set pieces, we need this if we want to win this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

While I'd certainly play Andy Reid ahead of Liam Miller, I think a midfield containing McGeady, Reid and Duff is too lightweight and too risky.

Its very hard to know what to do. Whatever he does will be some sort of a gamble. I think I'd go with Whelan and O'Shea in midfield, and give them the job of protecting the back 4 - I'd risk McShane alongside Dunne and hope that he can give a performance like he did at the beginning of his international career, therefore either Foley or Joey O'Brien at right back. And leave it to Duffer, McGeady, Doyle and Robbie to create and get a couple of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I think Doyle being in such great form is another big bonus to us for wednesday, and with McGeady and Duff giving us the width, I could see a headed Goal from Doyle. I think Miller brings absolutely NOTHING to the team, apart from giving away stupid free kicks in dangerous area's. As for a midfield with A.Reid in it being lightweight. Its certainly still better than one with Miller in it. I also wouldn't remove O'Shea from CB. He has been drilled by Trap for it, and has formed a good partnership with Dunne. I wouldn't break that up. Roll on Wednesday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

[PHP] Given

O Brien/McShane Dunne O Shea Kilbane

McGeady Whelan Miller Duff

Doyle Keane
    [/PHP]

Most likely line-up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Miller??? Why????

glenjamin wrote: »
    Miller??? Why????

No Steven Reid and Trap doesnt like Andy Reid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Trilla wrote: »
    Trap doesnt like Andy Reid

Thats still assumption in fairness. If he doesn't play on wednesday, at home, against a team we should have little trouble with (I know, I know, but we should still be beating teams like these), and with Stephen Reid injured. Then I think we can safely say he doesn't fancy him. Here's to hoping though.

JimiTime wrote: »
    Thats still assumption in fairness.

Didnt he mention something along the lines of "even though there is injuries the teams mentality and tactics will remain". Though we are playing Cyprus and Andy Reid should play.

Lets all hope eh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement