Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V Cyprus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Hope Reid does start, we can match the Cypriots for effort, but we still need a creative spark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The problem is they are bigger, stronger and more atlethic than us, at least judging by our last game in Croker against them.

We need that creative spark in midfield or it will be a night of a lot of possession but not penetration, unless aiden or duffer can do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We are sure to have more of the ball and wide men won't get the best of Keane (unlike Doyle). It seems really obvious to everyone here. Reid has even played more than Miller if Im not mistaken (for Sunderland).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We haven't got a lot of quality available in the centre of the park. I can only imagine Andy Reid is getting overlooked based on a fitness issue.

At any rate I think anyone would be better than Miller in midfield. I'd even take Gibson in there ahead of Miller.

If Miller and McShane start against the Cypriots I will be a very worried supporter.

2-0 for me. McGeady and Doyle.

I think McShane is limiteds in the amount of damage he can do at RB.

I know it couldn't be really be done cos both are untried in the team recently but I like the sound of Joey O'B and Andy Reid in the middle. Wheres JOB been playing for Bolton this season?

well he was playing as defensive midfielder in a 3 for Bolton at the start not sure though lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

noodler wrote: »
    I think McShane is limiteds in the amount of damage he can do at RB.

I know it couldn't be really be done cos both are untried in the team recently but I like the sound of Joey O'B and Andy Reid in the middle. Wheres JOB been playing for Bolton this season?

Center mid mainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

We haven't got a lot of quality available in the centre of the park. I can only imagine Andy Reid is getting overlooked based on a fitness issue.

That's my gut feeling too about Andy Reid. But why is he in the squad then?
    For Sunderland in the PL:
    Miller has 2 appearances 1 start & 1 sub.
    Reid has 6 appearances, 4 starts & 2 sub.

I just don't want to be a goal down and have to get Reid of the bench when it is too late. I think Reid could really hurt the Cypriots....as do we all naturally.

Rare that you get this much unison over a player's chances of involvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

i think O'Brien would be a much better option at either Right Back or Central Midfield. McShane is an accident waiting to happen and Miller is far too lightweight. Pity Stephen Kelly isn't fit. I'm a fan, i think he's capable of taking Finnan's place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

JimiTime wrote: »
    Thats still assumption in fairness. If he doesn't play on wednesday, at home, against a team we should have little trouble with (I know, I know, but we should still be beating teams like these), and with Stephen Reid injured. Then I think we can safely say he doesn't fancy him. Here's to hoping though.
    Yup, this game will be the acid test for him, I reckon. But id be pretty shocked if Trap doesnt play him - he seems to be the most regular playing out of the 4 CMs available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't know if this has been posted yet but it's pretty interesting...
    Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni insists he has no problem with midfielder Andy Reid.

The 26-year-old Sunderland player has yet to enjoy a single minute on the pitch in a senior game since the Italian's arrival in Ireland in May.

Reid appears likely to be overlooked once again for Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Cyprus amid suggestions of a row with Trapattoni.

"I don't have any problems with anybody," insisted Trapattoni.

"I choose in all honesty and I choose thinking about the interests of the team."

Trapattoni was bemused by the speculation when it was mentioned on Monday and the Italian is adamant there is nothing sinister about Reid's absence from the team.

"I never have pre-judgements on any players. I get angry often when the players are on the pitch, and it goes away in five minutes."

Reid has not played for his country since the 2-2 European Championship qualifying draw with Wales in Cardiff last November.

He also missed the end-of-season training camp in Portugal and friendlies against Serbia and Colombia through injury.

The midfielder returned to the squad for the friendly in Norway in August and has been included ever since, but has yet to see any action.

Trapattoni has employed two holding midfielders to allow wide-men Damien Duff and Aiden McGeady - and in their absence, Stephen Hunt - to join forces with strikers Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle.

Glenn Whelan has made one of those places his own despite his relative lack of football at Stoke while Steven Reid emerged from his long-running injury problems to take the other to great effect against Georgia and Montenegro.

With the Blackburn man ruled out by injury again, Trapattoni is being tipped to select Liam Miller ahead of the Sunderland player for the role against the Cypriots.

Asked if Andy Reid's frustration is mounting, the manager said: "That is not a problem.

"The problem is each game we have is a very important game to qualify.

"I don't understand why Andy Reid is more important than other situations.

"I have said many, many times, we are very, very offensive.

"With two strikers, with McGeady, with Duff, with also Hunt, we are very, very offensive."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7668350.stm

What I take from that is that Reid won't be starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Without Kelly or Finnan I'd defo have J.O'Brien at RB whilst I feel that anyone can replace Miller. Anyway Trap can incorperate McGeady, Hunt and Duff into his starting XI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

To be honest, I can see exactly why he won't play Reid, especially in the centre.

He wants us to play the one system, and get used to it. In the 2 Cm's in the formation Trap likes, they both have to get back and forward, don't think he trusts Reid. And to be honest, either would I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think we could well see Reid tomorrow. I just think Trap doesn't think he's worth it in an away game, and to be honest, I can see his point. At home though, he has the ability to break down teams and trap knows this.

the thing is kevin foley has been class this season and while kelly was one of the most consistent players in the EPL last season and if he was lucky could have been signed by Aston Villa for their right back slot, he got injured and can't get back in the team. Same thing with Colin Doyle, Birmingham fans think hes amazing but he can't dislodge Maik Taylor.

Surely Foley is in contention for the right back slot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

glenjamin wrote: »
    Without Kelly or Finnan I'd defo have J.O'Brien at RB whilst I feel that anyone can replace Miller. Anyway Trap can incorperate McGeady, Hunt and Duff into his starting XI?

not really, without dropping Doyle.
    Hunt is a far better impact player, Duff and McGeady should start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its not going to be easy. Finnan is a big loss for this game. I watched them against Italy and a lot of their attacks came down the left so we need a good performance from whoever plays there.
    They really gave Italy a serious game and were very unlucky to lose it.

• Advertisement

my parents want tickets to the game(already have mine) anyone know if they're still available?

my parents want tickets to the game(already have mine) anyone know if they're still available?
    Additional Information:
    Tickets will be available to purchase from the follwoing Outlets from tomorrow morning Tuesday 14th October 2008 - Ticketron St.Stephen Green Shopping Centre & Ticketron Jervis St. Shopping Centre

Should be a good few available, mine came in the post this morning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18004130E22F4927?artistid=948975&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=10004

Tickets will be available to purchase from the follwoing Outlets from tomorrow morning Tuesday 14th October 2008 - Ticketron St.Stephen Green Shopping Centre & Ticketron Jervis St. Shopping Centre

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=136&Itemid=9

Tickets will also be on sale at Dalymount Park from Monday October 13th at the following times:

Monday / Tuesday - 12pm - 8pm
    Wednesday - 10am – 6pm

whatever about our national league, but damn for our population we get big attendances when the national team plays.

I think capacity is around the 75k mark, so I'd say there should be around 65k at it. Don't think it'll sell out, but you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'd say it should be a near enough sell out. Over 70k anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Ticketmaster are knobs. Forgot my cards at home, couldnt buy online. Was gonna tip in to buy them with a mate at the Centra on the quays, then see the sales are restricted to two outlets?!!? (which Id imagine close around 6)

I rang customer service to check this out, your man said there was plenty left so heres hoping.

It would be great if we got a real spectacle of a match but right now I'd jump at a victory of any sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I'd say it should be a near enough sell out. Over 70k anyway.
    Very unlikely that it will be over 70k, they've only sold touching 60k at the moment and within that 60k there are loads of block bookers trying to shift tickets.

Attendance will be lucky to hit mid 60k (capacity 73,500ish)

Who would want to sit in a stadium where half the seats are open to the elements? You'd be looking at the forecast all day hoping your not going to get drenched for 70 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

zAbbo wrote: »
    Are there any stats on that, would find it hard to believe that Soccer players outnumber GAA ones? Maybe I'm wrong though.

ESRI surveys on sports participation.

Football, and thats before we count 5 and 7 a side, has more registered players than hurling and gaelic combined. Gah numbers have remained stagnant (ie a decline in real terms) for 20 years while football numbers have rocketed. There are more basketball players than hurlers in Dublin at the moment.

Huge urban areas have no gah clubs, so for every parish in Cavan minus a football club, I'll raise you a suburb of Dublin. That and the new Irish are far more likely to play football or basketball for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well looking out the window now I'd say there'll be quite a few empty seats tomorrow, looks like I'll be getting soaked tomorrow!

See some bookies are offering 9-1 for a Cyprus win. I'd never bet against Ireland but 9-1? Them's good odds considering recent history, although I'd say an Ireland win or a draw is more likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

A.Reid and JOB it really couldn't be any simpler.

Everyone knows Paul McS is a total liability, as pointed out its a disaster waiting to happen- but IMO so is Kilbane, his positional play at LB is questionable it could easily cost us, we really need to address these issues for the future.

As for Miller WTF!! 2 DM's is all well enough for a tough away game but in front of 70k home fans!! where r the chances going to come? we are desperate for some creativity, I really hope Reid gets his chance and cements it for the future, G Whealan doesn't even get his game for Stoke FFS!! Im not saying he's played badly but look at L Lawerance, he hasn't had much of a look in after being their player of the year last year, all be it in a diff position.

Im not a big fan of players getting regular games in Internationals when they don't perform weekly for their clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well looking out the window now I'd say there'll be quite a few empty seats tomorrow, looks like I'll be getting soaked tomorrow!

See some bookies are offering 9-1 for a Cyprus win. I'd never bet against Ireland but 9-1? Them's good odds considering recent history, although I'd say an Ireland win or a draw is more likely.

Spotted that too, think it's not bad odds at all - I've never betted against Ireland before either and probably won't do now either but it could be a minor consolation nonetheless if they lost :P

spiderdan wrote: »
    A.Reid and JOB it really couldn't be any simpler.

Everyone knows Paul McS is a total liability, as pointed out its a disaster waiting to happen- but IMO so is Kilbane, his positional play at LB is questionable it could easily cost us, we really need to address these issues for the future.

As for Miller WTF!! 2 DM's is all well enough for a tough away game but in front of 70k home fans!! where r the chances going to come? we are desperate for some creativity, I really hope Reid gets his chance and cements it for the future, G Whealan doesn't even get his game for Stoke FFS!! Im not saying he's played badly but look at L Lawerance, he hasn't had much of a look in after being their player of the year last year, all be it in a diff position.

Im not a big fan of players getting regular games in Internationals when they don't perform weekly for their clubs.

What has Kilbane done to earn you putting him in the same bracket as McShane? One of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Leaving aside the fact that I totally disagree with your assessment of Kilbane, how exactly do we "address" this issue? What alternatives do we have for left-full?
    As for Miller WTF!! 2 DM's is all well enough for a tough away game but in front of 70k home fans!! where r the chances going to come? we are desperate for some creativity...
    I seem to recall we fielded a fairly attack-minded midfield against Cyprus before; it didn't go well.
    ...look at L Lawerance, he hasn't had much of a look in after being their player of the year last year...
    He's injured.

I wouldn't blame everything that happened in Nicosia on the formation. The lack of ANY holding MF was another component as was the lack of Given and other players.

If we are going to have more of the ball, then why not let it be Andy Reid who has it.

Kilbane is a legend. It has simply been popular and trendy at different times over the last few years to jump on the 'Donkey' bandwagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Kilbane is a legend. It has simply been popular and trendy at different times over the last few years to jump on the 'Donkey' bandwagon.
    Exactly. spiderdan is about 6 years too late with his criticism of Kilbane.

The Nicosia debacle also had a lot to do with the amount of injuries we had at the time coupled with the ineptness of the manager.

****ing ticketmaster sent me the wrong tickets, i asked for hill 16 and they sent me cusack stand higher seats...bull****.

I wouldn't blame everything that happened in Nicosia on the formation.
    No, but it was a major contributing factor.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    The Nicosia debacle also had a lot to do with the amount of injuries we had at the time...
    We actually had a pretty strong side out that day:

Kenny, Finnan, O'Shea, Dunne, Andy O'Brien, Kilbane, Ireland, McGeady, Duff, Keane, Morrison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

kilbane a legend, and possibly our most capped player, no wonder weve been crap for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

bigstar wrote: »
    kilbane a legend, and possibly our most capped player, no wonder weve been crap for years

Sounds like the type of "supporter" engerland are blessed with.

Kilbane hasnt missed a competitive game in years and always gives 100%. he's not the most skillfull or stylish player but he does get the job done. His record makes him a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

djpbarry wrote: »
    No, but it was a major contributing factor.
    We actually had a pretty strong side out that day:

Kenny, Finnan, O'Shea, Dunne, Andy O'Brien, Kilbane, Ireland, McGeady, Duff, Keane, Morrison.

Clinton Morrison what ever happened to him? surely hes a better back-up than Shane Long or Anthony Stokes no?

prendy wrote: »
    Sounds like the type of "supporter" engerland are blessed with.

Kilbane hasnt missed a competitive game in years and always gives 100%. he's not the most skillfull or stylish player but he does get the job done. His record makes him a legend.

what job is that then, his fantastic defensive play, or his sublime talent as an attacking winger. is he more or less legendary than irwin or duff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

****ing ticketmaster sent me the wrong tickets, i asked for hill 16 and they sent me cusack stand higher seats...bull****.
    They've done you a favour. What would you want to sit on the hill on an October night a good distance away from the goal!

mr.noobie wrote: »
    Clinton Morrison what ever happened to him?
    He's toiling away at Coventry:
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/news.asp?n=34328

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

bigstar wrote: »
    what job is that then, his fantastic defensive play, or his sublime talent as an attacking winger. is he more or less legendary than irwin or duff

Kilbane is solid, more solid than most of our options there.

People generally refer to him as a legend due to his workrate and attitude. He's kept more naturally gifted players out of teams his whole career simply by giving 100% every time he plays.

if he was a rugby player, he'd be a Munster forward - that kind of legend.

I knew all the Kilbane crap would resurface, you'd swear he's the messiah FFS, yeah he gives 100% every time he puts on the jersey but is that good enough?? no chance- if that was the case McShane would be the first name on the sheet. he's a liability at LB, Kilbane was caught out a few times in the last match defensively and I don't think he's up to it in that position! Plus there's a reason he's being trying to shake the donkey brigade for years. 7 goals in 90 games, nearly all as an attacking player. not great is it? I like the majority of people have nothing but admiration for the effort he puts in but there's been plenty of times in the past we've had better options. Anyway this is off the topic he have little choice tomorrow, he has to play. When we do have a full squad I don't think he should.

As far as addressing the issue of RB/ LB- don't ever consider McShane, that'd be a start Joey O'Brien every day. We do have very limited options thats very obvious, why isn't Foley being considered? We have Delaney, and when fit Finnan and Kelly have played LB in the past and should be ahead of Kilbane.

I seem to recall we fielded a fairly attack-minded midfield against Cyprus before; it didn't go well.

Yeah we had a Muppet as manager then thats why, along with some injuries. You cant be serious thinking playing 2 DM's against Cyprus at home is the way to go, we need our most attacking formation against them, and expose them. I dont think the Miller v Reid debate is worth wasting a minute one. Fingers crossed Trap will go for Reid, if not its worrying for the future. Whealan only looked good because he had S Reid beside him simple as, if you cant get a game for Stoke your not good enough for Ireland, end of IMO.

And as for Lawernance, I'm aware he's injured but why wasn't he considered before then?? its only a recent injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

djpbarry wrote: »
    lol poor guy dont think hes been called up since that whole 5-2 thing in Nicosia either has he lol:P

I knew all the Kilbane crap would resurface, you'd swear he's the messiah FFS, yeah he gives 100% every time he puts on the jersey but is that good enough?? no chance- if that was the case McShane would be the first name on the sheet. he's a liability at LB, Kilbane was caught out a few times in the last match defensively and I don't think he's up to it in that position! Plus there's a reason he's being trying to shake the donkey brigade for years. 7 goals in 90 games, nearly all as an attacking player. not great is it? I like the majority of people have nothing but admiration for the effort he puts in but there's been plenty of times in the past we've had better options. Anyway this is off the topic he have little choice tomorrow, he has to play. When we do have a full squad I don't think he should.

As far as addressing the issue of RB/ LB- don't ever consider McShane, that'd be a start Joey O'Brien every day. We do have very limited options thats very obvious, why isn't Foley being considered? We have Delaney, and when fit Finnan and Kelly have played LB in the past and should be ahead of Kilbane.

Yeah we had a Muppet as manager then thats why, along with some injuries. You cant be serious thinking playing 2 DM's against Cyprus at home is the way to go, we need our most attacking formation against them, and expose them. I dont think the Miller v Reid debate is worth wasting a minute one. Fingers crossed Trap will go for Reid, if not its worrying for the future. Whealan only looked good because he had S Reid beside him simple as, if you cant get a game for Stoke your not good enough for Ireland, end of IMO.

And as for Lawernance, I'm aware he's injured but why wasn't he considered before then?? its only a recent injury.

Times like this I am just grateful we have a good manager making the calls. You seem to have gotten it into your head Kilbane is terrible and nothing will change your mind.

Fast, tall, good in the air, 100% committed. I don't see a better Irish option at left back. Kelly is playing in a lower division and looked particularly ropey in Slovakia.

By the way, few Irish players have great Goal records.

gosplan wrote: »

if he was a rugby player, he'd be a Munster forward - that kind of legend.

mcgrath bonner keane whelan thoese are legends they had the commitment and desire but also the ability to force themselves on a game, like munster forwards, who are a team of leaders and champions. kilbane, honest, committed, mediocre.

• Advertisement

Times like this I am just grateful we have a good manager making the calls. You seem to have gotten it into your head Kilbane is terrible and nothing will change your mind.

Fast, tall, good in the air, 100% committed. I don't see a better Irish option at left back. Kelly is playing in a lower division and looked particularly ropey in Slovakia.

By the way, few Irish players have great Goal records.

Times like this reminds me how so many Irish people accept mediocrity. My point is we really need to look/ develop new players into the international fold, we are both in agreement we don't have any other options tomorrow eve.

Advertisement