Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V Cyprus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fúcking goontastic ****.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    The Football Association of Ireland today (Sunday) announced that EA Sports will give out 33,000 inflatable giant hands to Irish fans at Wednesday evening’s World Cup qualifier in Croke Park (7.45om). The hands call on fans to ‘Clap for Trap’ and will be distributed before the game.

ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

'Clap for Trap'?

Surely that's the last thing he needs. :pac:

Sounds like a load of claptrap tbh.

nicked from ShelsWeb, unashamedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

both of yous.....

get your coats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Des wrote: »
    Fúcking goontastic ****.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ffs

Oh holy ****ing god des. its a bit of fun, jesus ****ing christ, get over it. it adds to the damn atmosphere. it might bring fun to some peoples lifes, and make them feel happy.

as someone said before 'god forbid people might actually try have a good time'.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

it adds to the damn atmosphere.

How do inflatable hands, with EA Sports sponsorship, add to the atmospehre, they make no sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

How do inflatable hands, with EA Sports sponsorship, add to the atmospehre, they make no sound.

Would they not add atmosphere visually?

I edited the post slightly. It might bring happiness to some family who has come down all the way from the country for the game. Don't be so cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

whatever happened to people just wearing scarves...?
    The thing is- I wouldn't really mind these ''clap for trap'' hands, but I know that some little ****er in front of me won't stop waving the damned thing.

I wish des was going and i was sitting in front of him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I don't understand the problem with this, what possible harm can it do? mother of god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Oh holy ****ing god des. its a bit of fun, jesus ****ing christ, get over it. it adds to the damn atmosphere. it might bring fun to some peoples lifes, and make them feel happy.
    We're talking about football. In Ireland. With Eircom League fans. What the **** has "fun" got to do with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

How do inflatable hands, with EA Sports sponsorship, add to the atmospehre...
    They contain pressurised air; more atmosphere per unit volume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

djpbarry wrote: »
    Kenny, Finnan, O'Shea, Dunne, Andy O'Brien, Kilbane, Ireland, McGeady, Duff, Keane, Morrison.
    A Kilbane-Ireland midfield isn't strong. Keane and Doyle would probably make up a better central midfield in a team like that. :) Kilbane and Ireland can both play centrally but it has to be in an organised midfield. Cyprus got the ball in their own half and they were up at our box in a few seconds.

team:

Shay Given (Newcastle United)
    Richard Dunne (Manchester City)
    Kevin Kilbane (Wigan Athletic)
    John O'Shea (Manchester United),
    Paul McShane (Sunderland)
    Aiden McGeady (Glasgow Celtic)
    Darron Gibson (Manchester United)
    Glenn Whelan (Stoke City)
    Damien Duff (Newcastle United)
    Kevin Doyle (Reading)
    Robbie Keane (Liverpool).

Outragous move by Trap having Gibson there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

spiderdan wrote: »
    Times like this reminds me how so many Irish people accept mediocrity. My point is we really need to look/ develop new players into the international fold, we are both in agreement we don't have any other options tomorrow eve.

God, you're right!! Why didn't we just go out and buy Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

team:

Kevin Doyle (Reading)

Ballsy, but probably the best idea, Gibson looks like he can really play.

Suppose it cements the Andy Reid debate.

Even though McShane is a victum of abuse, I think thats a good team.

I'm happy with that. I'm a lot more excited than I would be with Miller or 28 year old Andrews in the team.

Is that the confirmed team, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Is this so Gibson can't play for the north now?

Has he mixed him up with James McCarthy?

Only messing I am happy he's giving a talented young player a chance..

• Advertisement

Gibson needs to be the one in midfield to show charachter tommorow. He needs to dominate, and demand the ball. He has good passing range but I just feel a concern with two inexperienced players playing in the middle.

I've said this before. Keith Fahey should be in the squad and looking at that team, he should certainly be there ahead of Gibson.

well tbh i wouldn't want fahey and whelan in midfield together. I would be happy with fahey and steven reid though. fahey is too lightweight for me personally.

Plenty of tickets left for this match at Ticketmaster for anyone thinking of going. Tickets for the Hill, bottom tier of the Cusack and bottom and top tier of the Davin Stand end

well tbh i wouldn't want fahey and whelan in midfield together. I would be happy with fahey and steven reid though. fahey is too lightweight for me personally.

Yeah, i agree with that, but if its a choice between him and Gibson, then for me there's no contest.

team:

Kevin Doyle (Reading)

I actually like that Gibson move. I said last night I'd prefer him in there to Miller. In my view Miller's a liability. A big chance for Gibson so let's see if he grabs it. It's a bit of a gamble though no doubt about it.

I'm more uneasy about McShane at right-back. I'd rather see either O'Brien or Foley in there to him.

Gibson plays in England, that makes him a better player.

Gibson plays in England, that makes him a better player.

....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm more uneasy about McShane at right-back. I'd rather see either O'Brien or Foley in there to him.

+1, when i think of mcshane it brings back the ghost of cyprus past, the san marino game didnt do a lot for his reputation either if i remember correctly. I'd rather see damo lynch in there, fook it bring back terry phelan and i'd have more confidence. No worries about Gibson though. . .

• Advertisement

did mcshane play against cyrpus in the 5-2?

I'd go with Foley too but have a feeling it'll be O'Shea at right back with McShane centre half. Same as Colombia game.

No he didnt. Made his debut after that against the Czechs. Cant understand having him at right back before Joey O Brien. Maybe he will be centre back with O Shea out there instead.

I can't see Trap splitting up the Dunne O'Shea partnership but maby he will. I would have gone with Foley as well.

Looks like McShane's gonna play centre half thanfully.

Trapattoni: "McShane is a stopper, but on the left, they have Aloneftis, and he is one of the most dangerous players in their team.

"I can start with him or I can start with John. In the last game, John and Dunne played very well in the middle, but Aloneftis is very, very dangerous and maybe he needs particular attention."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

It's worth pointing out that our central midfield is made up of 2 players who do not feature for their clubs....HUGE gamble, and one I don't agree with. Remind me exactly what Andy Reid has done wrong:confused:

Staunton would have been, rightly, castigated if he'd done this - as I myself did when he played Joey O'Brien in centre mid in the same game last year. Hopefully Gibson has a blinder and allays my fears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I think Gibson looks a good player, I'm glad he's getting his chance. My worry though is that neither him nor Glenn Whelan are very experienced internationally. Considering the central midfield (for Trap) play an important role defensively, will Cyprus overrun us in midfield?

Where is Gibson anyway? Is he on loan or in the Utd reserves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

monkey9 wrote: »
    Where is Gibson anyway? Is he on loan or in the Utd reserves?

In the reserves.

The prospect of McShane at centre back fills me with even more dread. I could easily see him trying to play the offside trap and getting it wrong.

I believe we should stick with the Dunne/O'Shea partnership and allow them forge an understanding. It's been encouraging enough so far.

I keep casting my mind back to the Georgia game and Finnan being taken off and McShane coming on. Suddenly it goes from 2-0 to 2-1. Coincidence? I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

His only bit of first team action this season was last 20 mins v 'Boro in League Cup.

His manutd.com bio says he's a N. Ireland U-21 international....CONTROVERSIAL!!:D
    http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7B586F3BDA-BAD0-484E-AA1B-C0464DF06DF7%7D&bioid=91988&section=playerProfile

• Advertisement

And there's Keith Fahey a couple of weeks ago running the midfield in a UEFA Cup match against a Bundesliga team. (I'm just saying, is all)

We should have called up...

We wouldn't have to worry about the end product of our wingers, just get him to do the throws. :)

The prospect of McShane at centre back fills me with even more dread. I could easily see him trying to play the offside trap and getting it wrong.

I believe we should stick with the Dunne/O'Shea partnership and allow them forge an understanding. It's been encouraging enough so far.
    Dunne and McShane have also been really good overall for us. You'd think full back was not an important position. McShane's a poor right back but overall he's done very well at centre half. A couple of mistakes aside and he's been excellent but he's more prone to a mistake at right back.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Dunne and McShane have also been really good overall for us. You'd think full back was not an important position. McShane's a poor right back but overall he's done very well at centre half. A couple of mistakes aside and he's been excellent but he's more prone to a mistake at right back.

Yep, in fairness, if you're going by international football alone, then McShane has been quality for us. But there are always doubts with him in terms of his league form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Sorry if I've been under a rock but is there even a hint/bit of dodgey gossip/rumour as to whats going on with andy reid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

ntlbell wrote: »
    Sorry if I've been under a rock but is there even a hint/bit of dodgey gossip/rumour as to whats going on with andy reid?
    I read today (could have been Indo / yesterdays Examiner) that Trappatoni and Reid had a bit of a row in the hotel after the Georgia match.

I read today (could have been Indo / yesterdays Examiner) that Trappatoni and Reid had a bit of a row in the hotel after the Georgia match.

Well, Trappatoni has denied that one. I dont really know what the craic is with Reid. Maybe the Trap just feels he's more of a luxury that doesn't quite fit in with his work ethic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think Trappatoni has made it clear that if Andy Reid plays, it'll be in place of one of the forwards. He doesn't see him as one of a two-man central midfield and I'd imagine that no matter who the opposition and how bad they get, he never will.

This a manager the Italians said was 'too negative'. Perhaps he was for them but he's just what Ireland need now IMO.

Just never expect to see attacking central midfielders and never expect to win by more than 2 goals. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

You dont recall the Czech home game? He played an utter blinder and had all the man management/demands of Given, who was injured that night.

Unfortunately nearly every outing since has been a disaster.

I keep casting my mind back to the Georgia game and Finnan being taken off and McShane coming on. Suddenly it goes from 2-0 to 2-1. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I was fairly shocked when he made that subbing alright. Lest we forget that if it hadnt been for Whelans incredibly lucky goal we would be asking why Trap made the Stan-like decision of replacing Finnan so late and leaving us with 2 dropped points.

Any clubs in town jersey friendly afterwards?

Bar ****ing Coppers, jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

monkey9 wrote: »
    Plenty of tickets left for this match at Ticketmaster for anyone thinking of going. Tickets for the Hill, bottom tier of the Cusack and bottom and top tier of the Davin Stand end

Mate was told Hill was sold out :confused: We are in top of Davin. Decent view is it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement