Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V Cyprus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Matt England more like, he was the epitome of the "plastic paddy", imo.

I watched him before a play-off final in Wembley, belting out "God Save The Queen".

Sickening stuff from an "Irish" man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

If only he could pass a pie shop as well as he could pass a ball.
    Ah very good, very good :D.
    noodler wrote: »
    Maybe Trap thinks he will be needed to breach Italian or Bulgarian defenses?
    Quite possible he will be part of a 5-man midfield against the big two.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    One thing that mistifies me though is that Rory Delap and Liam Lawrence are probably stokes best/most important players where as Whelan (although I like him) isn't near the first time atm and Lawrence and Delap aren't even in contention for the Ireland Squad while Whelan is on of the pivitol members of the starting XI.
    Lawrence is injured, don't know about Delap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I think it's very unreasonable for him to change the system for one player. He has spent months since he took over the job organising his panel and getting them used to playing in a controlled system which they are all familiar with. To change it now having not lost a match so far would be crazy. True Andy Reid is a quality passer but realistically is he a central mid-field player who can do it home & away for the duration of this group? Trap obviously doesn't think so an he is not going to change his beliefs for one man. It's a shame but that's football. Reid must stick it out for the campaign though as everyone knows anything can happen in the coming months

I would have liked if the midfield was built "around" Reid, so to speak, to accommodate him because he is a Premier League quality player (unlike a lot of the CM players in the squad). Whelan hasn't kicked a ball for Stoke since the opening day of the season who have a Championship quality first team. And I know Trap probably won't change his beliefs (which is admirable in a way) but I'm just saying it's a shame, that's all, because Reid is one of our best players.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

One thing that mistifies me though is that Rory Delap and Liam Lawrence are probably stokes best/most important players where as Whelan (although I like him) isn't near the first time atm and Lawrence and Delap aren't even in contention for the Ireland Squad while Whelan is on of the pivitol members of the starting XI.

Bit fecking mad really.

Even when he was at Southampton delap was one of the most consistant midfeilders in the premiership for about 4 years and was constantly over looked in favour of the abysmal Kinsella and Mr. Nowhere Matt holland...

Funny, aint it?

very true indeed- im really lost when it comes to Whealan, something thats not picked up enough IMO, granted hes done a good job, but he's had an on form S Reid beside him- not playing for Stoke and being an Irish International is something I really cant understand, Lawerance was Stokes player of the year last year and has had a very good start to the campaign for them, unfortunetly hes injured but if he was fully fit he'd be nowhere near the first team. Delap is worth a shout, especially with those throw ins, Stokes best chance of staying up!! And why is Foley/ Delaney not getting a look in, people here seem to be very happy with giving youth a chance, why not them?? Foley is playing terrific from all accounts

Bit fecking mad really.

Funny, aint it?

Agree with that, although I think Lawrence injured himself a couple of weeks ago but he should have been called up to the senior panel for the matches against Georgia and Montenegro, if not purely because of his outstanding record in that Championship and he also made a decent start at Stoke in the Premier League before getting injured.

I think Delap is on par with Whelan from what I've seen, except he has a freakishly long throw which one of the mains factors in their promotion. Doyle is surprisingly good with his head for someone 5'11 but usually it isn't down to him outjumping a defender - he has a knack of finding space, anticipating the ball and glancing it past the keeper. Only big striker in the squad is Murphy (Sunderland) who is as soft as sh!te in the air for such a big lad, he is a left winger (with amazingly accurarate crossing ability) trapped in the body of a targetman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Caleb Folan + rory Delap throws = Ultimate battering Ram.

Caleb Folan + rory Delap throws = Ultimate battering Ram.

Oh, aye forgot about him. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He's no world beater but he's handy to have laying around for though matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Delap should be in IMO. Doyle is great at connecting with aerial shots into the box, who better to pick him out than Delap!

Des wrote: »
    What I don't get is they way almost every poster on here is questioning the decisions of perhaps the most knowledgeable manager this team has ever seen.

It's worse than England fans, imo.

The excuse re McShane is sod what we think from having seen a few games in the past, Trap has worked with him for many many hours over the past week and is a better judge of form. That may be true, but fact remains he watched him for hours pre Georgia, thought he was up to it and then conceded a goal in only 10 odd mins of play. Nobody is questioning Traps record, and I certainly agree he has seemingly injected a new belief in the players (it flagged a bit in parts of the games but overall there is more energy and purpose about them), but some of his subbing decisions have been questionable.

• Advertisement

He's no world beater but he's handy to have laying around for though matches.

I have seen him play a few times, he is like a poor man's Emile Heskey - terrible goalscoring record but can use his hold-up play and pace to draw out defenders and make space for another player to score. :cool:

btw I havent been to Croker in about 12 odd years. What time is adviseable to be in the general area of the stadium by to ensure Im set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Delap is another "out of sight, out of mind type". However, this has changed since. Both Delap and Lawrence have kept Stoke in contention this year. Its late October and the team are not, for all intents and purposes, relegated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Have we all forgottern Lee Carlsley! Im shocked he was not called up with S Reid out. Ok he is old and no point being in the panel if not playing but he should have gone right into the first 11.
    The central midfield pairing tonight is a huge risk against a team as good technically as Cyprus.:eek:

Just been looking at a couple of Wolves forums and typed in "Darren Gibson".
    worst ever loanee to come out of Man Utd.
    :eek:
    That doesn't bode well....

Just been looking at a couple of Wolves forums and typed in "Darren Gibson". :eek:
    That doesn't bode well....

Yeah, well they must be talking about someone else, the lad who's playing for Ireland tonight is called Darron Gibson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

And besides, it's the internet.

"Ronaldo is the worst player ever to play for Utd."

See anybody can say anything on the tinternet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

shane86 wrote: »
    btw I havent been to Croker in about 12 odd years. What time is adviseable to be in the general area of the stadium by to ensure Im set.

Kick off 7:30? Ya'd need to be in an about the ground about 6:50 to make sure ya get through and find seats and all!

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Kick off 7:30? Ya'd need to be in an about the ground about 6:50 to make sure ya get through and find seats and all!

And collect your free inflatable toy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

SRFC90 wrote: »

Kick off is 7:45pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i think its clear to add were missing stephen ireland is a bad bad way.

With ireland and s.reid(fit) in the centre on the park , a.reid on the right and duffers on the left(interchangeable) our midfield would be on the brink of international class.
    Come bind that with keane and doyle and i think bobs your uncle for us to qualify/win this group.

Our back 4 aint the best, but we have a world class CD in dunne and a top glass goalkeeper in given.

Im a bit worried about tonight. I think whealan is being overrated bigtime

^^^
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

But S. Ireland won't be coming back so we have to move on, no point even thinking about him.

Reid doesn't have the legs to play on the wing either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

^^^
    lol

He's right Des.

He's right Des.
    No, he's not.

He said Duffer is world class.

He isn't.

Duffer had World class potential SIX YEARS ago, he played well for a couple of years leading up to it, but since then has either been injured, or recovering from injury, and has not, in any sense of the word, played consistently well, for long enough, to warrant a "world class" tag.

Andy Reid. Worlc Class. My round hairy hole.

Stephen Ireland won't play for Ireland again, so why he's even being mentioned as a possible "World Class Irish Midfield" is beyond me.

Steven Reid is never fit.

Which is better the upper tier of the Davin or Cusack stand?

I don't know.

• Advertisement

the thing is he said international class. that midfield would be better than the croatian midfield in my opinion..

the thing is he said international class. that midfield would be better than the croatian midfield in my opinion..

It's a midfield that will NEVER play together.

Two injury prone crocks.

A player who won't play for Ireland.

A player who the manager won't pick.

No, he's not.

He said Duffer is world class.

He isn't.

Duffer had World class potential SIX YEARS ago, he played well for a couple of years leading up to it, but since then has either been injured, or recovering from injury, and has not, in any sense of the word, played consistently well, for long enough, to warrant a "world class" tag.

Andy Reid. Worlc Class. My round hairy hole.

Stephen Ireland won't play for Ireland again, so why he's even being mentioned as a possible "World Class Irish Midfield" is beyond me.

Steven Reid is never fit.

I don't know.

I never said duff was a world class player albeit he used to be very good.
    Havent called andy reid world class either, but he picks out a pass better than anyone in the team.
    Mentioning stephen ireland isnt against the law is it? I for one would love to see him back in a green jersey

Des, if you hate the Irish team so much and the whole notion of the Irish team seems to anger you so much why do you always post in the Ireland threads?

nuxxx wrote: »
    I for one would love to see him back in a green jersey

Thing is though, he wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Des, if you hate the Irish team so much and the whole notion of the Irish team seems to anger you so much why do you always post in the Ireland threads?

THIS

yeah, there is an england thread just down the page which I'm sure will interest you a bit more.

And besides, it's the internet.

"Ronaldo is the worst player ever to play for Utd."

See anybody can say anything on the tinternet!

There are plenty of people agreeing on the forum that Gibson was rubbish mind. There are plenty of more thread about him too.

Haven't seen the lad play tbh but the reports aren't great...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Also, here's a boring thread on a nothing manager leaving a nothing club... might interest you

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055398673

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Why shouldn't he? Why does every thread have to be a positive love in?

That sounds like something you'd hear in the Pool thread tbh.
    roryc wrote: »
    Also, here's a boring thread on a nothing manager leaving a nothing club... might interest you

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055398673

I presume you'll be collecting your inflatable hand :rolleyes:

There are plenty of people agreeing on the forum that Gibson was rubbish mind. There are plenty of more thread about him too.

Haven't seen the lad play tbh but the reports aren't great...
    That's fair enough, but I was just making the point that you should always take comments made on internet forums with a fairly liberal amount of salt.

ye negativity is a good thing

on a side note xavi is the worst midfielder iv ever seen, wouldnt even make it into the irish team ffs :rolleyes:

Since when do I have to like something to comment on it?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

2-1 Ireland,

Keane and Duffer for old times sake!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why shouldn't he? Why does every thread have to be a positive love in?
    Because it's just boring at this stage. Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY knows at this stage that he hates the Irish team but to constantly keep going on about it is just tiresome and tantamount to trolling.

And you're right, a thread shouldn't be a positive love in but saying things like "Ireland won't qualify" or "Ireland are sh1t" end of!! is hardly adding anything to the debate.

I wonder how long I'd last if I went into the weekly Eircom League thread and said the same type of stuff. And don't me wrong, Des seems like a sound enough bloke but I just don't get the Ireland stuff and I genuinely wanted to know why if the whole setup bothers him so much was keep posting.

• Advertisement

spiderdan wrote: »
    2-1 Ireland,
    I actually think this will be the outcome.

But not this

Doyle and Dunne to be the scorers.

Anything less than a win tonight will be a disaster
    hope the weather holds up while im sitting on my bucket seat :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I actually think this will be the outcome.

But not this

Doyle and Dunne to be the scorers.
    2-1 Ireland,

Nah 2-1 Ireland alright with Gibson and McShane scoring ;)

nuxxx wrote: »
    ye negativity is a good thing

So is setting yourself up for a fall
    on a side note xavi is the worst midfielder iv ever seen, wouldnt even make it into the irish team ffs :rolleyes:

Maybe there is someone less clued in than Stan after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

monkey9 wrote: »
    Kick off is 7:45pm
    If kick off is 7.45 i'd say aim to be there for about 7.15, that will give you plenty of time

Have a look at this to find out exactly where your seats are before you leave
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/seatingchart/196746/11476

im at section 714 cusack stand.

im at section 714 cusack stand.

I'm sitting behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I'm sitting behind you.

Don't forget your inflatable hand Des :pac: :p

i'll smack you with one of my inflattible hands. if you want a shot at my leprechaun hat, then just tap me on the shoulder and ask.

• Advertisement

Lol este, take a camera with you and get a snap of Des in amongst all the hands then post it here tomorrow! :D

Advertisement