Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best Value pro-am Video Camera

• 07-10-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Lads just looking for a recommendation for the best Value pro-am Video Camera out there. I'm looking for it to record weddings etc.

The following would be great
    1. Good battery life. (or/and reasonably priced spares).
    2. Access to external Mic's or additional directional mic.
    3. Very good quality image
    4. Not too heavy
    5. Easy to handle

What you you recommend and why?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Hey Tommygun

I have a Canon XH-A1 which I use for weddings, amongst other things, and I can't fault it.
    1. Battery is good for probably around 4 hours - I have not had the battery waste on me yet!!!
    2. built in stereo mic is good for ambience. Also a mic holder for external mic plus a standard 3.5mm mini-jack input for a consumer mic and 2 pro XLR connections with full manual control and phantom power available.
    3. Picture is renowned for being excellent. Video can be tweaked to your preference.
    4. It's a handheld so can get a bit tiring after long spells. But I have rarely got dead arm syndrome.
    5. Has a carry handle on top for shooting low angle shots and its well balanced.....slightly from heavy due to the large lens which is an excellent "L" series professional Canon HD lens with 20x optical zoom and excellent optical image stabilization.

Cost is about €3,649 - This is the cost from Conn's cameras. You can get it cheaper elsewhere. I went with Conn's due to their reputation. Worth paying the extra. My XH-A1 was €4,000 as it was not long released when I bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

Thanks for the detailed response. I have looked at it, and it looks pretty good.

Just one question how does rate to the Sony HVR-Z1E?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Both are very decent cameras, i know one preson with a Z1 who prefered to the a1 as he found it better in low light situations. Best bet would be try and rent one of each and give em a test and see which one you prefer.

Thanks decob,
    is there anywhere in Munster that would rent them?

I had considered the Sony HVR-Z1E as well. However, the Canon is a lot less expensive and also has a better lens. Also, the lens is a 20x zoom rather than the Sony's 12x zoom.
    The low light performance of my A1 is fine although the Sony probably does have edge, as Sony's often do. Having said that, you can make or download a custom preset for the A1 which will enable you to push up the gain without having too much in the way of detrimental video quality. I downloaded lots of presets onto the camera's memory card from http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/126811-xh-custom-presets-download-library-copy.html - It's a huge thread and more presets are added all the time.
    Check out http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/ for more information and video samples of this camera. And so I don't appear to be too biased, you can check out the Sony here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/

• Advertisement

Thanks, highdef. I will do a bit more research . But I will most likley go for the canon.

Two more questions, I am a bit concerned about the low light, have you had any problems in a dark church or late at night at a recption in a hotel?

And the last one. I use Pinnical studio for editing and making DVD's. what do you do use and do you think Pinnical studio is good enough to do a high end wedding video?

Hi TommyGun

The Canon won't disappoint you!!! I can post up some low light footage from a wedding or two but it probably won't be until tomorrow as I'm busy after work tonight. I have some footage where the light is not being used and the room is quite dark. You can judge for yourself.

I have not used Pinnacle myself so I couln't really say. I have been using Ulead software for years. Started at Video Studio 6 and am now up to version 12. The latest version is really really good. And the film look effects have nailed it for me :) Very handy at times. It's very hard to get good quality film look effects.

I also have Ulead Media Studio Pro 8 which is the pro version of Video Studio. And I have DVD Move Factory which I rarely use. Video Studio 12 (or Viddeo Studio X2 as it is now known as) is fine for me. It does everything I need it to do. I have only begun editing in HD in the past week or as I got a new PC capable of handling and editing HD. I'd imagine Pinnacle is similar to Ulead but I guess I'm just used to using Ulead. Check it out if you like: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/gb/en/Product/1175714228541#versionTabview=tab0&tabview=tab0
    I'm sure what you have is fine though. If you're happy and it runs smoothly, stick with it.

Advertisement