Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA (Hons) Production Design & Art Direction course gone from IADT??

Options
  • 07-10-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi

I had my heart set on doing this 1 year add-on course for the last few years. I checked the website today and it's gone - it appears to be replaced by a catch-all makeup/costume/art direction 4-year degree. I called IADT and tried to speak to any of the course coordinators/head of dept but they're all out of the office.
    I am devastated. As I said I planned on doing this course for years and
    after finally getting my ord degree in design this year, I took this year out to sort out my portfolio for the course.
    I dont know what to do. An additional 4-year course is completely out of the question and I was planning on using the course for contacts etc and I would also feel more confident having some experience (in this discipline) getting a job than none at all. God I am so depressed :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Hey,

Was just talking about that course today with someone. i did it a few years back as did they guy I was talking to and we both agreed it was a rubish course. They reason they moved it about is because id say they couldnt get the numbers to fill the class...in my year there was only 7 which is the minimium.

I work in film now in camera and I studied did animation and prod design among others, so it doesnt matter what you study. Take my advice and get names and numbers from the IFB crew list or where ever you can and RING these people; set dressers, production designers etc and ask to get out for a few days for free on whatever they are working on. If they like you, if youre enthusiastic and friendly they will call you again I guarantee it. Forget about the course and get on the phone and get out on set...
    Of course if its tv or theatre you were headed its probably the same story...

Good luck and dont worry, whats for you wont pass you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

What Doolee said - although I work in a different part of the industry, there's nothing like hands-on experience and actual practical work ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Normally I would strongly defend people taking university courses or similar purely to allow for access to equipment, free time to learn and experiment and contacts with people with similar interests.

But if Doolee is correct and the course is quite substandard, it might be better to look for alternatives.

The most obvious is that you already have a qualification in design which means all that you really seem to be lacking is how to apply it to a film production model, so yes the best thing for you right now is to get some experiance on hand, make those calls and offer your services for free etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭stressed out

Hi
    Thanks so much for the replies. I will defintely have a go at contacting people.
    I think I may do a course like thishttps://www.screentrainingireland.ie/?fuseaction=course_details&preopen=5&sid=13&id=50239 - it's only 3 days. I am such a wimp - I would feel naked not having any kind of training, so this seems better than nothing! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 redmanIII

I am doing the course this year. It is the last year for the add on. I find it a great course and I spend time 'going it alone' i.e researching programs ect. Pat Molloy is a great help and very positive. Like everything, what you put in is what you get from it.
    I feel sorry for 'stressed out', as I was going to leave it until next year. I have worked on a few films, one as a production designer, I feel this course has helped me a lot to go about things in a professional manner.
    Hope you do well anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

I did this course a few years ago, Pat is a fountain of information and has brilliant contacts in the business but unfortunately there was a hell of a lot of stuff crammed into one year! The learning aspect of it was a bit annoying too because instead of looking at the end result and as to whether it would work and do the job perfectly they were more interested in filling out tick-the-box type assessments. Which is fair enough but is far from how it works in the workplace. It struck me that they've been doing it so long that they've forgotten what it was like to learn it and therefor found it difficult to pass on the knowledge. It's a shame to see it go but it has been coming for a long time, the recent success with two students from the course being selected to repesent Ireland for scenofest in prague revived it for a short time but it was only a temporary fix.
    I really hope they still have pat because, while he could be annoying at times, the info, contacts and experience he has are irreplaceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sonic2810

hi there what u need to do is fone on 018586403 say intrested in art department and they should give u number for alan he is there rep he is also a designer u really need hands on work need to design shorts etc any more info message me

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

flying_squirl: Part of the reason for expanding it into a 4 year course is to spread out all the things that have had to be crammed into one year up until now. I believe it's going to have a first year common with make-up and costume, so looking at basic principles of design and performance, and then two years of projects expanded out from the existing course, followed by a final year of working on your own big project(s), the same way other design degrees work. So, lots more time to work through things without being rushed and getting to pick the staff's brains in some more detail.

To the OP: I know there is only going to be a first year next year, but IADT seem to be very open to direct entry into later years of courses. Maybe you could go and see what work you could get in the industry for a couple of years and then if your heart is still set on it, do the last one or two years then?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I really don't understand what they're doing with this course - well with the make-up end of it. 4 years training in make-up, getting a degree and then having to be a trainee when finished. What a waste! :eek:

Yep as the others said get out there and ask,knock on doors. I've spoken to a few ADs and that's how they started.

Advertisement