Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC for my father

Options
  • 07-10-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi,
    My father has cancer.
    He can't see very well and he also
    can't use his hands much.
    He has asked me for help in buying
    a new PC.
    I was wondering if anyone had
    advice about websites where i could buy a complete system.
    Ideally i'd like a 1 stop shop like dell.ie
    He reckons he can't use a mouse so i'm thinking
    maybe a touchpad or touchscreen as well as a large size
    keyboard - stuff like that.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. He's a complete newbie with computers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

contact the CRC, client tech services.. they help people for free...also if its just advice you want ask to speak to the guy who looks after computer access.

You could get a program like Jaws, or maybe a joystick like mouse?

Central Remedial Clinic (CRC)
    Client Technical Services
    Vernon Avenue
    Clontarf
    Dublin 3
    Phone: (01) 805 7400
    Fax: (01) 833 6633
    Email: info@crc.ie

or enable ireland
    Enable Ireland

Enable_Ireland_LogoEnable Ireland has a dedicated Assistive Technology service that provides individual assessment, trialling of devices and systems, product information, recommendations and advice, training in assistive technology.

Contact details:

Enable Ireland,
    National High Tech Assistive Technology Training Service,
    Unit 5, Block B,
    Cashel Business Centre,
    Cashel Road
    Crumlin, Dublin 12
    Ph: (353) 1 4992357
    Fax: (353) 1 4992308
    Email: slong@enableireland.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The NCBI might be able to help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

While you're waiting for an appointment, perhaps the Accessibility features in Windows XP might be of use (if he's able to get hold of a desktop in the interim).

Control Panel > Accessibility Options

and

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > Magnifier

might help with the sight issues?

http://www.fentek-ind.com/nh-mouse.htm

foot controlled mouse.

maybe using voice recognition he could type things into word pad and copy and paste into google for browsing without typing. may even be able to type direct with voice recognition

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Maybe one of the mice with a trackball might suit?

mltmw.gif

Also the fon't or resolution in windows can be made to be really big? Going down the lines of touchscreens is expensive. I'd say in 5+ years time it will be much more affordable though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

There are actually several companies that offer this type of service. I came across an article about a month ago about a company that made computers that could tell what part of the screen you were looking at. This allowed the individual to control the computer with their eyes.

Due to your fathers eyesight, I don't know that that particular system would help, but the software they used might be a good choice for him. It was called Grid 2, which allows the user to interact with the computer much easier. It is worth checking out, because at the time, I was impressed with their offerings.

The company, Sensory Software, makes several programs, such as Grid 2. I have never used it before or known anyone who has, so I would advise you to do plenty of research about it before you make a decision one way or the other.

You can buy their software and install it on a computer, but there are also several companies that sell computer systems with this software. Again, I have no personal knowledge of this system or the companies, so you would probably want to find someone who has used it to learn more.

It is at least worth checking out the features of their software, because it might help you think about features that you want for your father. They also have links to dealers and at least some of them sell computers that incorporate the Grid 2 Software with alternate control setups. Their site can be found at www.sensorysoftware.com

The one downside that I found at the time was the cost. The computer that tracked your eye movements went for $25K, but the Grid 2 software by itself is much less and I imagine for your needs, a system would not be close to that much.

There are also many different control setups available, like extra large high contrast keyboards. You might also consider using voice recognition software, which has greatly improved over the last few years, but is not perfect yet. I think one version of the Grid 2 software actually incorporated voice recognition software, but I really would try to find someone who had used it or a dealer that would let you try it out first.

There are also other software programs available that are aimed at making using the computer easier for those with visual/mobility impairments.

I think it is great that you are trying to help your father get online and would be very interested in what type of system you decide upon.

If you have any questions, I am no expert, but I am pretty computer savvy, so please do not hesitate to ask.

Advertisement