Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gun Blueing Cream or solvent

• 07-10-2008 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hey all

Sorry if this is the wrong section, I am on the lookout for a shop in Dublin that sells some cream or solvent to help blue the metal on a project I am working on. So far google has thrown up places out of dublin or online (would prefer not to order online unless I have to)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

You can get it iin most gun stores or even hardware stores from time to time. One I'm familiar with is called Hoppes gun blue and it's not great to be honest from my experince anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

used hoppes myself always get great results make sure you degrease (hoppes do an aerosol degreaser too) before application and follow instructions and you'll get a great finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

Bunny shooter, cheers for that info on the degreaser. Didn't know it existed:) That's where I was going wrong all this time

kay 9 wrote: »
    Bunny shooter, cheers for that info on the degreaser. Didn't know it existed:) That's where I was going wrong all this time

Anyone supplying Hoppes products should have/be able to get it for ya, great stuff, just keep it away from plastics ;)

Used to be able to get "carbon tetrachloride" from chemists does same thing without smell ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I find Hoppes no, 9 very good, as bunnyshooter said use a degreaser on the barrell as it's all in the preperation. I use eathanol but any thing that will evaporate will do, brush it on or preferably soak, petrol or white spirit's will do, just make sure you only put it on the metal, 3 coat's and it'll be like new.

• Advertisement

Ya good point Marlin VS, 3 x application or more may be required but the finish will be worth the effort.

Advertisement