Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rebate on motor tax while out of the country?

Options
  • 07-10-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Folks,

wondering can you help me on this?

my car is currently taxed for one year since March 08. I am due to leave the country for 3 months. Can i get a tax rebate for the months i am not in the country. I should also state, the car will not be on the road while i am abroad.
    Any help, greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i dont think we have any system here to get a road tax rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You must be joking?

Simple answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can only get a refund of (remaining) road tax if the car is scrapped and certified as such.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've actually wondered about this before. Can you fill in the renewal form and list a non use period of X months during which the car was actually taxed, get it witnessed by the gardai and have the X months added on to the period of the new tax disc, or is the declaration of a non use period limited to periods of non use where the car had no valid tax disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can get a refund under certain circumstances!

See here and here for details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thanks for that, Unkel. Didn't know about the other valid reasons.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

esel wrote: »
    Thanks for that, Unkel. Didn't know about the other valid reasons.

Neither did I. Must be a new thing?

I've added a link to it in the charter...

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Simple answer is yes. You must be out of the country for business reasons and you must provide written proof from your employer, along with the RF120 form stamped and signed by the guards declaring your car off the road, and your tax disc of course.

There are certain conditions however such as there has to be so many months remaining on the disc, ie they wont refund 1 month for example. Call them and see what the conditions are. As far as i know it works the same with car insurance, or at least I think some will normally suspend your policy, but dont quote me on that! :)

Advertisement