Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Fees Protest

Options
  • 07-10-2008 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Guessing most ye have heard about this on Thursday - any of you joining the march as they call it. Unfort I'm too busy to do anything that day. I can see everyone going off to the pub afterwards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i'm a 2 days a week student and i won't be around on that particular day. i think. i might show up for it anyway if i get the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

its an official strike so all the classes r supposed cancelled. i think some might still be going on. R lecturers asked us if we were going out for and we said yes so he going to let us catch up in another class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ITS1

its an official strike like every should show up come on do you all want to pay fee next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

we've an exam tomorrow so can't go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Seanot

Id like to go but have exam too.....:(

it would be pretty cool having 4000 students marching........ drum society are bringing there drums :pac:

• Advertisement

as i said it is a official strike this mean the collage has to let u off full stop

ITS1 wrote: »
    as i said it is a official strike this mean the collage has to let u off full stop

hahahaha - eh no, that's not true at all at all...

if you've an exam, you've an exam, and that's the end of it. it is an official Student Union strike, but lecturers are under no obligation to cancel classes and exams if they don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Seanot

hahahaha - eh no, that's not true at all at all...

if you've an exam, you've an exam, and that's the end of it. it is an official Student Union strike, but lecturers are under no obligation to cancel classes and exams if they don't want to.

Yes I agree

o yes they do like ask the SU like

o yes they do like ask the SU like

lol - i was sitting with a member of the SU when i read that and even he had a good chuckle. they are expected to support us, but they are under no circumstance obliged to. under no circumstance. the SU strike is a student body, we have no official power whatsoever over lecturers.

we had an exam today. it went ahead. those who missed it are down 10%. there is absolutely no comeback. none.

• Advertisement

who ever went to them exam want to pay fee so god sake i dont have 6000 to be pay like come on who ever did not go today what do u stand for notting !!!!!

who ever went to them exam want to pay fee so god sake i dont have 6000 to be pay like come on who ever did not go today what do u stand for notting !!!!!

dude...what i stand for is getting my degree. skipping an exam for a protest is not far short of ret*rded. i can't afford 6k either, but there's point going to college at all if i'm going to be skipping exams. it's a very simple principle - you need to do your exams to get your qualifications.

my point is, what you said about the lecturers having to cancel lectures is total b*llsh*t. they were under no obligation to support the strike, none.

i supported it, most of the lecturers supported it. but they didn't HAVE to.

and of course not everyone has to be against fees. you were allowed to protest because this is a democracy, people who are for the introduction of fees are just as entitled to their opinions, as some of the lecturers may be.

dude...what i stand for is getting my degree. skipping an exam for a protest is not far short of ret*rded. i can't afford 6k either, but there's point going to college at all if i'm going to be skipping exams. it's a very simple principle - you need to do your exams to get your qualifications.

my point is, what you said about the lecturers having to cancel lectures is total b*llsh*t. they were under no obligation to support the strike, none.

i supported it, most of the lecturers supported it. but they didn't HAVE to.

and of course not everyone has to be against fees. you were allowed to protest because this is a democracy, people who are for the introduction of fees are just as entitled to their opinions, as some of the lecturers may be.
    u wont be to get it if u dont have the moeny so u should have gone on protest like

u wont be to get it if u dont have the moeny so u should have gone on protest like

that makes absolutely no sense. so you genuinely would have skipped an exam for this protest?? you my friend, will not last long in ITS...

we had a exam today and we decide as a class not to go all u need to get ur class to work as a team

we had a exam today and we decide as a class not to go all u need to get ur class to work as a team

you had an exam today and ye skipped it?? you haven't a hope buddy, not a hope of finishing your course with that attitude. skipping exams, for any reason, is just stupid, plain moronic.

what kind of message does it send?? if you're so dedicated to your education, would you have not been better off actually trying to complete it and sitting your exams?? when you fail ITS1, you'll have to pay the fees anyway to repeat. so either way you're goosed my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Your name suggests that you're a first year which means you've been in college for all of a month. And you're skipping exams and copping an attitude already? You have NO idea what you're talking about and NO idea what other courses/lecturers are like. Stop making a fool of yourself. You shouldn't have bothered going to the protest at all, if you keep going the way you're going you won't be in college long enough to worry about fees!

i am not it 1 year i am doing me masters ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

i am in IT support first year hello to all

Ahem?

Gauge wrote: »
    Your name suggests that you're a first year which means you've been in college for all of a month. And you're skipping exams and copping an attitude already? You have NO idea what you're talking about and NO idea what other courses/lecturers are like. Stop making a fool of yourself. You shouldn't have bothered going to the protest at all, if you keep going the way you're going you won't be in college long enough to worry about fees!

exactly!! jeezzz...for a second there i thought i was the only one with a bit of sense...thank f*ck for that

• Advertisement

i am not it 1 year i am doing me masters ok

i am in IT support first year hello to all

Lol...not that it needed any further evidence, but I think it's fair to say that you my friend, are full of sh*t!!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭starr0409

Back to the subject...what did ye think of the protest then?it was CWAZY when we got to ucc!go us though, i reckon we got our point across :)

starr0409 wrote: »
    Back to the subject...what did ye think of the protest then?it was CWAZY when we got to ucc!go us though, i reckon we got our point across :)

what kind of numbers turned up from CIT??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

what kind of numbers turned up from CIT??

I heard there was like 700 turned up at student centre and i'd ay more just came straight to UCC. Thats what i did cuz i didn't want to have to a walk back out to get my car. It was fairly awesome at UCC. The build was great. I thought for the most part people were good and cheering and blowing there whistles most of the time. Also there were some fairfly funny signs going around. Here's a link to a thread about this on the cork city forum. i attached a couple of pics to my post there aswell of the march
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055395346

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

fees march was so funny!!!
    Hearing thousands of students singing batman in time was just something else altogether!! The signs that were going around were nuts!! Fair sickened i didnt get a whistle. :( The paper maiche head was legend!! UCC looked fair scared when we arrived.

All in all a good days work!!

suppafly wrote: »
    I heard there was like 700 turned up at student centre and i'd ay more just came straight to UCC. Thats what i did cuz i didn't want to have to a walk back out to get my car. It was fairly awesome at UCC. The build was great. I thought for the most part people were good and cheering and blowing there whistles most of the time. Also there were some fairfly funny signs going around. Here's a link to a thread about this on the cork city forum. i attached a couple of pics to my post there aswell of the march
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055395346

700?? a bit off the 2000 the SU predicted...

is there anyone here in favor of fees?? i was chatting with a guy the other day who made some fair points in favor of it...

i'm not really arsed about em to be honest. i'll be done and dusted by the time they come in :P

Advertisement