Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digiweb cap increase?

Options
  • 07-10-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all, anyone know if Digiweb are planning to match there speed increases with a cap increase? finding it hard to stick to the monthly download limit!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

I doubt they will change. It's a nice little money maker.

Of course they will tell you "It's good for everybody because the network will not be overloaded" and that may well be true for some masts (in Dublin).

But I have my suspicion, I rarely have less than my full download speed and would rather prefer more contention but a higher download limit.

Seems we have to wait for another wireless competitor to start operating. Unfortunately that does not seem to be in the cards unless IBB steps up - this is unlikely considering the policy changes its new parent has introduced - or one of the local WISPs becomes really successful.

That last part is not that unlikely where I live, Galway. There are around 4 or 5 WISP's in Galway, but none big enough (yet) to compete with Digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 iahavenoname

damn just thought that since they increased the speed they would increase the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The two are unrelated. Almost everyone enjoys faster speeds, only 5% to 10% would use larger caps and they would use them completely, which would be double the cost if the cap was doubled. That would also increase contention for the other users and negate a significant part of the speed increase.

I think you can pay for a larger cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

That's why I think the cap is a money maker:

- 30Gb is not enough, so either people move to a more expensive package -> from 35 to 60 euro, kerching! Or

- people pay 5 euro (ex vat I think) per 10Gb, kerching!
    - so to get 100Gb you need to pay 7x5 = 35 euro minimum to get the same data.

5 euro per 10 Gb has no relation to the real cost.

Advertisement