Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emersion vs gas to heat tank.

Options
  • 07-10-2008 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I havent done any of the calculations etc to try and find out what is the cheapest way to heat the water in the tank for a shower etc. Sometime I switch on the gass with the thermostat set to zero (if I dont want radiators on) and sometimes I turn on the emersion. However this got me thinking as to which is the most efficient/cost effective way to achieve this. Obviosuly this depends on how much water is being heated, at what time, effecencey of the system etc, but in general and for a modern system, anyone any ideas/thoughts???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

the best way on any particular cylinder that i can think of doing this is to attach a digi-thermostat to a low part of the cylinder and using both the gas and the elec on different occasions wait until it gets to a nominal temperature (say 55 degrees). use the readings off the elec and gas meters and calculate it with the price/unit from your last bill
    i would imagine that there would be loads of different factors on each cylinder that would influence this!
    i would imagine that the central heating would be a lot quicker and would heat a larger amount of the cylinder,i'd also say that it would be a small bit cheaper too

• Registered Users Posts: 34 omad65

cheers,
    I actually do have a little temperature probe that I could use, might give it a try over the weekend if i get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I use the gas to heat the water after i watched the electric meter when the immersion was turned on. Twas like a small helicopter the way it was spinning

. like boiling a massive kettle.

Advertisement