Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Calling - Do you?

• 07-10-2008 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

Well today after pleasantly finding out with Meteor's new 3G network that Video Calls cost the same as a voice call and are tooken out of your minutes just as a voice call, ive been making an effort to video call everyone i know instead of voice :D
    Ive an n95 8gb so the camera is superb (Yes im talking about the video calling camera not the 5mpx main camera)

Great stuff and quite handy in some occasions
    Does anyone else use video calling, was all a big fuss when the first video calling phones came out but now its seemingly becoming pretty much standard.

Do you use Video calling? 55 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    14%
    jimmycrackcormBenoBlaster99TarakiwaDr Bobgoodladdrunkmonkeypartyatmygaff 8 votes
    atari jaguar
    85%
    Tom Dunne120_MinutesKaromaRobertFostertechcenter15kaizersozerobinphMimikyufailsafeLinku1huge1cooperguyc - 13andrewiemuckwarriormobileplazaSam VimesmathewthehomeofDob 47 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Never used it. Probably never will unless there is a good reason for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

atari jaguar
    I remember when I joined 3 about three years ago and I was like wow video calling thats so cool and thought it was going to be the next big thing in mobile communications...

A month later and it was a total gimmick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

atari jaguar
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

atari jaguar
    apparently deaf people make use of it but i've had a video phone since 2005 and i've only done it a handful of times. Mostly to moon people remotely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

atari jaguar
    I've had a 3G phone for the past year and in this time I made a single video call. It was a 10 second test call to my friend in the same room...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Mostly to moon people remotely

I must try that one some time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

atari jaguar
    Don't think I'd really want to be looking at anyone when talking on the phone, would be a bit weird holding the phone oout infrojnt of you as well. Although I do do video Skype type calling but I'm sat down infront of a PC then and not wandering round the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No
    only when i'm need of the lovin squeeze:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

atari jaguar
    Waste of time and money! Never have and never will.

No
    Damo9090 wrote: »
    Waste of time and money! Never have and never will.

what every happend to the try everything 3 times rule:confused:

• Advertisement

atari jaguar
    what every happend to the try everything 3 times rule:confused:

That only stands for women, food and drink.

Not money spinning gimmicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I just tried it the other day from my E71 to my daughters samsung - didn't work! Does it have to be enabled on your sim or account or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

elderlemon wrote: »
    I just tried it the other day from my E71 to my daughters samsung - didn't work! Does it have to be enabled on your sim or account or what?
    Your phone and network need to support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

atari jaguar
    apart from a couple of test calls, never.

No
    Random wrote: »
    Your phone and network need to support it.

which networks officaly support video calling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

atari jaguar
    No never

atari jaguar
    which networks officaly support video calling?

They all should. You just need a supported hand set and the settings to go with it.

No
    They all should. You just need a supported hand set and the settings to go with it.

i don't think 02 and Meteor do...

atari jaguar
    You may be right about o2 have the 3G Nokia 6500s and just tried to call the gf to check and it aint working.

Not sure about Meteor.

No
    You may be right about o2 have the 3G Nokia 6500s and just tried to call the gf to check and it aint working.

Not sure about Meteor.

I can't video call my mate on 02 either and he's got an n95.....

I meant to say tesco and 02, I think Meteor might support it in parts of Cork and Dublin, which is feckin usless to the rest of the country.....

Just laughing to myself about all the iphone users who can't video call each other to show off there iphones....that must suck:D

• Advertisement

atari jaguar
    I can't video call my mate on 02 either and he's got an n95.....

And o2 is the second biggest mobile operator in Ireland! Ah well i still think its a money spinner.

No
    have the 3G Nokia 6500s and just tried to call the gf to check and it aint working.

what network is she with? Are you sure your phone is locked onto the 3G network and you'r in coverage, i've seem some 02 3G phones locked onto 2G only....also try removing the battery and restarting the phone just to make sure you'e ruled out any other glitch..

atari jaguar
    what network is she with? Are you sure your phone is locked onto the 3G network and you'r in coverage, i've seem some 02 3G phones locked onto 2G only....also try removing the battery and restarting the phone just to make sure you'e ruled out any other glitch..

Yeah every thing was in order. She is on the o2 network with a 3G phone also. Might give it a bash again later and see what happens.

atari jaguar
    I think Meteor might support it in parts of Cork and Dublin, which is feckin usless to the rest of the country.....
    they do support it on their 3g network. As do 3 which is feckin useless to the roughly 50% or so of the country not covered by their 3g coverage (50% estimated based on 85% population coverage). It's a similar situation for vodafone. O2 never supported video calls for some reason

not that anyone noticed since no one really makes video calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

No
    Video calling is as popular as using your loudspeaker function.

No
    estimated based on 85% population coverage

That's roughly 3,605,042 million Irish people that could possibly make a video call tomorrow...

the Glass is half full Sam:D

atari jaguar
    That's roughly 3,605,042 million Irish people that could possibly make a video call tomorrow...

the Glass is half full Sam:D
    unless you're talking about meteor, in which case having coverage in the two most populated places in the country is 'feckin useless'.....

3 are just as 'feckin useless' as meteor for video calls in the huge parts of the country where they have no 3g coverage

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

atari jaguar
    /Grabs more pop corn

atari jaguar
    [dramatic voice]IT BEGINS[/dramatic voice]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

atari jaguar
    [dramatic voice]IT BEGINS[/DRAMATIC VOICE]
    You forgot to press hash there to change to lower case :P

Advertisement