Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless internet providers? (mobile?)

Options
  • 07-10-2008 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Not really up to date with all this wireless stuff but i have a question.
    Is it possible to get wireless internet for your laptop or whatever that will work anywhere you go?
    Sort of like what you can do with phones, and i think phone companys might be doing it but im not full sure.

If anyone knew about this area it would be helpful.

I basically want to work away on the laptop while at college with wireless internet, (as the college no longer has wireless :mad:)
    thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I use Vodafone 3G mobile broadband, plug the USB modem into your laptop and away you go, I use the laptop to get the internet wherever I go, subject to getting a signal ;)

Vodafone, o2 & 3 offer this service

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

How do you find getting signal? is it as easy as gettin a signal on your phone for instance?
    Also, i hear the D/L limits are quite low. I pressume its possible to check your usage whenever you want yea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

the signal can be good at times, depends where I am, at home in the middle of the countryside, the signal can be hit and miss, I have to dangle the modem out of the window to get a signal, if I go into a town, the internet flies along, I think I get a 20gb per month download limit, good enough for me, and you can check your usage on the laptop to see if your going to go over the limit.

o2 are only charging €20 per month for the mobile broadband, I went and got one as a backup to the Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

CamperMan wrote: »
    the signal can be good at times, depends where I am, at home in the middle of the countryside, the signal can be hit and miss, I have to dangle the modem out of the window to get a signal, if I go into a town, the internet flies along, I think I get a 20gb per month download limit, good enough for me, and you can check your usage on the laptop to see if your going to go over the limit.

o2 are only charging €20 per month for the mobile broadband, I went and got one as a backup to the Vodafone
    Sounds pretty good.
    Thanks very much for the information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    Sounds pretty good.
    Thanks very much for the information.

Sounds pretty good, but its not really, its not broadband, its mobile internet that sometimes (depending on coverage area, signal strength and number of users on the sector at the time) gives broadband speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 da langer

im using 3 as my internet provider now im living in the sticks and the signal is crap, fair enought when im in town is great fast and realyable, hears my problem when im up stairs i get 2 bars of signal thats fine but is when im down stairs is the problem little or no signal. waving the modem(3 dongle) around the sitting room it a hit and miss to get connected, what im trying to do and trying to find if someone out there knows is there a device i could use upstairs using my little 3 usb dongle, where the signal is better to be transmitted around the house, wireless routers dont work with my 3 dongle, all i can find out there is phoneline and cable routers, these are no good, help me!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement