Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying New Car?

Options
  • 07-10-2008 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

So lads, im hoping to trouble ye for abit of advice,I have been looking in to getting a car for a while,and having surveyed the local press and internet relentlessly for the past number of months i feel i may have found the perfect car. The only problem is, it is in Donegal and i myself am from Cork.Now ive contacted the owner and he is willing to meet me in sligo, but that is still an awful trek.Plus to be honest my first car was a hand me down so this is the first car ive ever actually bought(that is if i do get it) so i am very nervous.So really Im asking does anyone know of a service or a mechanic or something that would travel or you could meet with car, buyer and seller to have a look at it before i buy it? or does anyone recommend i just use that site motorcheck and pay the 30euro to bring up the cars history?or am i safe enough just giving the car a good look over myself and taking it for a test drive and once there no funny sounds from it go for it?

Any advice , tips, or past experiences would be valued,
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Hi,

I wouldnt buy any car from donegal thats for sure. What car is it,cant be the only one for sale in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The AA will do a check, but it's not cheap - have a look at their website. Otherwise, you could call a garage in Sligo and see if they'd do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

joeperry wrote: »
    Hi,

I wouldnt buy any car from donegal thats for sure.

Why not??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Why not??
    Well for a start the roads are ****e up there,most DL reg cars i see driving around are driven in an unsavoury manner,they all seem to think there Colin McRae and rally the car everywhere.If its a Donegal reg he'll have a harder time shifting it if he needs to sell it.

All my friends would agree on these points.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

joeperry wrote: »
    Well for a start the roads are ****e up there,most DL reg cars i see driving around are driven in an unsavoury manner,they all seem to think there Colin McRae and rally the car everywhere.If its a Donegal reg he'll have a harder time shifting it if he needs to sell it.

All my friends would agree on these points.

Have you recent experience of driving on Donegal roads?
    I am in Donegal regularly, I can tell you the roads and surfaces are equal to or better than every other county in the country. In fact probably better, if you drive from Letterkenny to Bundoran road surface is excellent, then you cross iinto Leitrim on way to Sligo and the road is up and down like proverbial ????? drawers, road into Sligo isn't much better.

As for the Colin McRae comments, how often have you seen donuts on the road's locally to you, lots of budding rally drivers out there :rolleyes:

OP, can you fly up to Donegal from Cork with Aer Arran? I think Galway would be a more of a midway meeting point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

Im gona disregard the whole thing about the roads cos it is still in Ireland it aint fricking Africa like,plus with the amount of road works going on down here at the moment they cant be much worse.As regards the DL reg being hard to sell ive never heard of that before. And no it aint the only one in Ireland, but it is exactly what im looking for a very competitive price.I am gona suggest the idea of meeting Galway rather than Sligo though. I looked into trying to get flights to Donegal but Aer Arann dont do em.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I bought a car in a different county last year. Contacted a local garage in the area and arranged for inspection on the day I was to go and buy.

Worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

As regards the DL reg being hard to sell ive never heard of that before.

Well i certainly have heard of it, i'd avoid em like the plauge!

Advertisement