Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipless pedals

Options
  • 07-10-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi all
    Just wondering are there big advantages with clipless pedals.I'm thinking of changeing the pedals i have. Any advice on what pedal to start with and what type of shoe.

It's for a giant crs zero
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

They arguably allow for more efficient pedalling.

What kind of riding do you do (commuting, training, racing)?

Do you ever have to walk on your bike journeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

henboy wrote: »
    Hi all
    Just wondering are there big advantages with clipless pedals.I'm thinking of changeing the pedals i have. Any advice on what pedal to start with and what type of shoe.

It's for a giant crs zero
    thanks

Yes, there is a huge advantage. It makes it easier to pedal the bike. What kind of bike are you riding? Most people with road bikes opt for the Look system. With MTBs, SPD is the more popular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Would be using them for trainning purpose, would'nt be doing much walking in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Would be using them for trainning purpose, would'nt be doing much walking in them.

Only started using them myself about 6 months ago . There's probably people on this forum who've used 'em for years , better qualified than me to go into the advantages and disadvantages of clipless and probably a huge volume of information on the net . I'll just say , I've personally found them excellent for training puropses , don't know the mechanics of traction , but whereas in the past when I pushed down on one pedal the "other" pedal was more or less idle on the up-stroke , this pull up motion now becomes a "power -stroke" , if you know what I mean? You will really notice the difference on hills ......beware though they take a little getting used to , being locked in an ' all , we've had a discussion here recently on embarassing falls with clipless pedals...

Thanks deisetrek think ill take the plunge and give them ago .I'll pop down to the lads in altitude in waterford and see what they have.What you reckon i'll pap money wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Deisetrek wrote: »
    though they take a little getting used to , being locked in an ' all , we've had a discussion here recently on embarassing falls with clipless pedals...

Remember my first day in them - Stopped at a roundabout forgetting about them and ended up falling in slow motion onto the bonnet of a car with a slightly bewilderd looking granny staring back out at me...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks deisetrek think ill take the plunge and give them ago .I'll pop down to the lads in altitude in waterford and see what they have.What you reckon i'll pap money wise

I sold my bike to gjim (user on boards) with some old but perfectly functional Look pedals (and cleats). He is planning to sell them on AFAIK.

Maybe give him a PM if you're interested.

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Remember my first day in them - Stopped at a roundabout forgetting about them and ended up falling in slow motion onto the bonnet of a car with a slightly bewilderd looking granny staring back out at me...:o

Thanks i must watch out for that .grannys and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

If you are in a hurry go to Altitude , but you'll pay through the nose . I got mine on Ebay for half the price , SPD SL ( road bike pedals ) and cleats for half the price . The shop on Ebay was called "high on bikes" if you want to do a search and compare with Altitude , Spokes or Halfords in Waterford . Best of luck with the pedals....you won't be sorry you changed...

Deisetrek wrote: »
    If you are in a hurry go to Altitude , but you'll pay through the nose . I got mine on Ebay for half the price , SPD SL ( road bike pedals ) and cleats for half the price . The shop on Ebay was called "high on bikes" if you want to do a search and compare with Altitude , Spokes or Halfords in Waterford . Best of luck with the pedals....you won't be sorry you changed...

I'll look that up thanks, another question would any shoe fit them pedals and what shoe would you recomend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Just in case your wondering, I have a set of Shimano M324 pedals, (the dual sided ones) that have seen about 2 months use. I'd be willing to part with them for a token payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Hey guys.
    I've been on clipless pedals longer than regular pedals at this stage. Wouldn't be without them, they're worth all the effort to get used to them.
    If I was buying shoes and pedals for the first time I would suck up the extra cost of buying them in a shop because if you're not sure about setting them up the shop can do it for you. A misaligned cleat can cause alot of knee pain and getting it right is a b!tch.
    My first time out on cleats I stopped at a T-junction and fell over! No nothing, just fell over. After 15 years of constant use its second nature:D
    Good luck!

'68 wrote:
    Hey guys.
    I've been on clipless pedals longer than regular pedals at this stage. Wouldn't be without them, they're worth all the effort to get used to them.
    If I was buying shoes and pedals for the first time I would suck up the extra cost of buying them in a shop because if you're not sure about setting them up the shop can do it for you. A misaligned cleat can cause alot of knee pain and getting it right is a b!tch.
    My first time out on cleats I stopped at a T-junction and fell over! No nothing, just fell over. After 15 years of constant use its second nature:D
    Good luck!

Thanks all i think i'll pay the extra few quid and buy them in a shop.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Have you tried spokes, I find the lads in there far more friendly than some of the lads in altitude. I bought my bike in spokes lately and liam set me up on it properly from day 1, He ran through all the gears with me, took my exact measurements and set the saddle height for me. He then set the bike up on a stand and set me off on it for about 10 mins as so I could get used to the gear changes.

I am actually going back into him over the weekend to get my peddles and shoes fitted. He advised me to get about a week or so on the bike before he put on the new peddles and shoes on. He is A1

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Have you tried spokes, I find the lads in there far more friendly than some of the lads in altitude. I bought my bike in spokes lately and liam set me up on it properly from day 1, He ran through all the gears with me, took my exact measurements and set the saddle height for me. He then set the bike up on a stand and set me off on it for about 10 mins as so I could get used to the gear changes.

I am actually going back into him over the weekend to get my peddles and shoes fitted. He advised me to get about a week or so on the bike before he put on the new peddles and shoes on. He is A1

I agree with what you are saying Liam is a sound bloke. But i like to bring the bike back to where i bought it.Any way got the peddals and shoes so will give them a go and see how i get on.

Thanks for the input

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ah sure, yeah it does make sence ok to bring it back to point of purchase. I think Dave is a decent bloke in altitude also, he knows his stuff. He does a good bit of cycling too.

Advertisement